Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #21
Icelander

Default Re: Tantric Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Shortsword and Smallsword default to each other, Intimidation and Sex Appeal do not. The perk is Weapon Adaptation, which allows a character to use the weapons of one skill with the weapons of another related skill (no greater default than -4). A character with Rapier could have Weapon Adaptation (Broadsword), but they could not have Weapon Adaptation (Flail).
Sure, but in a cinematic campaign, it's specifically noted that Knife to Halberd (or vice versa) could apply.

And the Power Gaze technique of Intimidation being defaulted from a different skill doesn't seem unbalancing at all.

On the other hand, as I noted, Rasul has already spent more points on Intimidation than Sex Appeal. As such, such a 'Perk' would amount to a penalty.

An Attribute Substitution Perk would work, assuming that I treat Attribute + Talent as equivalent to raw Attribute. Which I do, generally.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:35 AM   #22
tanksoldier

Quote:
Intimidation and Sex Appeal do not
They do in real life, for some people....

Quote:
Sex Appeal for Fast-Talk?
There are absolutely times when Sex Appeal could substitute for Fast Talk.

Quote:
Physics for Biology or Astronomy for Chemistry?
There certainly are times when Physics could sub for Chemistry, and Astronomy is a subset of Physics anyway (Astrophysics).

Biology could certainly sub for Chemistry in some situations, and vice versa, when dealing with the biochemistry of organisms.

Quote:
but they could not have Weapon Adaptation (Flail)
If you can do Knife to Halberd, you can do Rapier to Flail.

More importantly, it's his game. If he wants Pilot (Spaceship) to default from Professional Skill: Dog Catcher.... who cares? It was a great story, which is the point.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-04-2018 at 12:46 AM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:08 AM   #23
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
T
More importantly, it's his game. If he wants Pilot (Spaceship) to default from Professional Skill: Dog Catcher.... who cares? It was a great story, which is the point.
Maybe its a setting with space dogs and you need a spacecar to find them.
It would be a wierd setting but I can see it as a good/funny one.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
Icelander

Quote:
They do in real life, for some people....
From the popularity of Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey, seems to be a pretty widespread kink.

Quote:
There are absolutely times when Sex Appeal could substitute for Fast Talk.
Most characters I can remember seem to use them pretty interchangably, often using Sex Appeal to give penalties to resistance against other Influence skills, but mechanically, could just as easily do it the other way around.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #25
Icelander

When Rasul, the PC for whom this Talent is intended, first used the Power Gaze technique of the Intimidation skill, I used the Awe table instead of the normal Fright Check table as a special effect because of the critical success on Sex Appeal which preceded it.

If Rasul wants his Power Gaze technique to be about sexual domination more than the threat of violence*, which of the three methods below would seem the best way to accomplish that?

a) As a special effect, any time he wins a QC of Sex Appeal against the subject's Will before using Power Gaze, he uses the Awe table instead of the Fright Check table if he wins by enough margin in the QC for Power Gaze? Point cost beyond the cost of the Power Gaze technique = 0.

b) Using the Perk Unusual Training, Rasul learns a variation of the Power Gaze technique called Power Gaze (Awe), which always uses the Awe table if the subject loses the QC badly enough to roll a Fright Check. If he wants to be able to use the regular Fright Check table, he'd have to buy up an entirely seperate Power Gaze technique. Point cost beyond the cost of the Power Gaze technique = 1 + 6 (for the seperate technique).

c) With a custom Perk, Rasul gains the ability to choose before his use of Power Gaze whether he'll use the Fright Check Table or the Awe table if the subject loses the QC badly enough to roll a Fright Check. Using the Awe check might require a successful Sex Appeal against the subject before, as above. Point cost beyond the cost of the Power Gaze technique = 1.

*Incidentally, from the description of the Power Gaze technique in Pyramid, it sounds like it is about Awe by default, with the example using the gaze of kings, which normal men may not meet.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #26
johndallman
Night Watchman

Option a) seems a little too easy.

Option b) seems feasible, but I think it has a further prerequisite for Awe: you need to be an obviously powerful and attractive person.

If you want to be able to disguise yourself as a beggar, and then pull this trick unexpectedly, you need option c).

Last edited by johndallman; 03-10-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Correct error
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #27
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Option a) seems a little too easy.

Option c) seems feasible, but I think it has a further prerequisite for Awe: you need to be an obviously powerful and attractive person.

If you want to be able to disguise yourself as a beggar, and then pull this trick unexpectedly, you need option c).
Option c) seems nice to me, but the reason I asked was I wanted a ruling that would be fair at any power level. Rasul won't really notice much of a difference between 1 point or 7, being almost 1,700 points, but since I noticed Power Gaze, I think a lot of PCs would like it.

Tags
chi, talents, tantric magic