Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
cap58432

Default Centaurs with multiple steeds

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can help me settle a debate.

Scenario 1:
If you are a Centaur with multiple steeds and someone plays a card that forces you to lose your race, would all but one of the steeds then have to be discarded?

My assumption is that they would have to be, my logic being that the now-human player has lost control of all but one steed that he was commanding as a Centaur, so they would all scatter since any other player can only have one steed in play (without a cheat).

Scenario 2:
Conversely, if you are an Elf carrying a weapon that can only be carried by Elves and someone plays a card that forces you to lose your race, does that weapon get discarded, or just turned sideways as a weapon that is no longer in play?

Thanks!
cap58432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Centaurs with multiple steeds

You would have to get rid of the Steeds, but as they are Items, you can't just discard them because you want to do so. You'd have to look at the rules about having to get rid of extra Big Items and follow that procedure.

For the second scenario: Just because you can not use an Item doesn't mean you must discard it. The rules say that you can carry (i.e., have in play) any Item, even if you can't use it, so, if you lose the Race or Class that would allow you to use an Item, you'd turn it sideways showing that you're not using it. To correct one misconception presented in your question: That Item is still in play, since all Items and cards you have face up on the table are in play; cards that are not in play are in a player's hand, in the deck, or in the discard pile.

In both cases: If your'e in combat, that's a special scenario. You'll no longer be able to use such Items (or all but one of them in the case of Steeds), but you also can't change their state or get rid of them because you're too distracted by combat. So, in the case of the Elf question, the Item is still equipped, but you're no longer getting its bonus. If you were to play a Cheat! card on it, or play another copy of Elf on yourself (if it happens to be your turn), you'd gain the use of that Item again and get its bonus. In the case of the Steed question, I'd say pick one and that one will still give you its bonus and special ability, unless, of course, you could play a Cheat! card on each Steed, or another Centaur card on yourself (but, again, it would have to be your turn to do that).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
cap58432

My friend had the Centaur / Steeds set up, but it was on my turn that I played a card that allowed me to make any one card disappear from the deck (forget the exact wording). I chose to use it to make his race card go away, which really hurt his combat strength and started the debate about whether the steeds went away too or whether he could sell them for levels. So combat wasn't happening for him at the time all this went down.

The rules for extra big items say that if it's your turn you can sell them, if not you have to give them to the lowest level player(s) that can carry them.

I read that as if no one else at the table could carry them, they would then be discarded. I guess that's our answer, thanks!
cap58432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap58432 View Post
I read that as if no one else at the table could carry them, they would then be discarded. I guess that's our answer, thanks!
That's correct. If everyone else at the table had a Steed, they couldn't take his extras, and since it wasn't his turn, he couldn't sell them, so they would be discarded.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centaur, discarding steeds, multiple steeds, steed, steeds