Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
GodBeastX

Default Equipment as Advantage - Adding to skill

If an equipment adds to skill, what would be the points? Should I use talents? 2/skill level? Just curious what the idea is.

To give an example, my char has a ninja suit which might add to stealth/camouflage (Cinematic of course),
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: Equipment as Advantage - Adding to skill

IIRC you don't normally pay points for equipment unless it's signature gear, or has some other wierd aspect like being of higher TL than the rest of the campaign.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Or, depending on the campaign, you can treat the equipment as a Gadget, giving you an advantage like Chameleon with Gadget limitations. Gadgets are usually things you can't just buy at a store -- more like an Iron Man suit or magical artifact.

Bonuses for expensive equipment are on B345.

Batman toys might be either "best equipment possible" or Gadgets, depending on how you want to treat it.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
GodBeastX

It's gadgets for the sake of the campaign. It's somewhat supers-like, so all our gear for this are built with points.

In this case I'm more interested in what the points would be for skill benefits.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
It's gadgets for the sake of the campaign. It's somewhat supers-like, so all our gear for this are built with points.

In this case I'm more interested in what the points would be for skill benefits.
It costs how ever many points it adds to the skill, less the limitation savings for being a gadget. Esoteric gear that provide skills is not normally stated as bonuses to skill rolls, but as giving you points, see for example chip slots under Modular Abilities. That said, with the uniform pricing of 4e skills, 4 points per +1 to skill works fine, and I personally don't see a problem with allowing Talents in a Gadget either.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
If an equipment adds to skill, what would be the points? Should I use talents? 2/skill level? Just curious what the idea is.

To give an example, my char has a ninja suit which might add to stealth/camouflage (Cinematic of course),
Either talents specifically created for that device by the GM or advantages that give bonuses to the skills you want. In your example, you could have a sneaky suit that gives you both Silence and Chameleon to blend in to your surroundings better.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote