Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #61
Culture20

Default Re: High Magic Spells

A TL4-5^ solution could work for magical/alchemical gadgeteering. Balloons or dirigibles with lighter than air gasses produced by magically heated air, created helium or hydrogen, etc.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #62
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
A TL4-5^ solution could work for magical/alchemical gadgeteering. Balloons or dirigibles with lighter than air gasses produced by magically heated air, created helium or hydrogen, etc.
I still don't see how Gadgeteering is going to take less time. It certainly requires very high skill levels and a huge amount of money.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #63
Culture20

Less real life player time; a PC could easily start out with the means to start building the ship, and only some small spells would be needed.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #64
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Or the backstory includes access to assistants, big powerstones, mana fonts, or something like that which aren't available now because they belong to the Mage's Council, Unseen University, or whatever, and having completed his studies he no longer has free access/is adventuring somewhere far away from there/whatever.
Relating to that has anyone every done the math on renting power sources/mana stones?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #65
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Relating to that has anyone every done the math on renting power sources/mana stones?
Renting mana stones doesn't make sense, they're one-shot...

Renting powerstones should be a trivial function of stone cost (which is not so trivial) and interest rates, I'd think?
Old 08-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #66
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Less real life player time
The opposite seems to be the case to me. Working out an invention isn't a trivial thing for a player and GM to do. Enchanting something with S&S enchanting is just a matter of in-game time.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #67
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Yes.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/Rolepla...owerstone.html

I didn't re-read it to be sure but to my memory at least this should cover your questions and even though this is an early article little has changed from this time period to 4e.

It won't mention Manastones but manastones are a solution looking for a problem (beyond "The GM doesn't want to give the PCs an extraordinary and durable resource").
Old 08-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #68
(E)

Oops, manastone was a slip of the keyboard.
Looking at the economics from the role player article, say a $2,000,000 hundred point powerstone with the owner looking for a 10% return on investment would charge $54,800 ish for someone to empty the power stone or half that if they had a means of increasing the power stone's recharge speed to two.

Last edited by (E); 08-01-2017 at 08:23 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:02 AM   #69
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The opposite seems to be the case to me. Working out an invention isn't a trivial thing for a player and GM to do. Enchanting something with S&S enchanting is just a matter of in-game time.
Which, according to TimTimmy, sounds like his character won't be able to even attempt to start until many game sessions into the campaign, if ever, whereas a hybrid tech level solution can be started right away, even before the first session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Renting mana stones doesn't make sense, they're one-shot...
But considering manastones, they would work well as end-runs around slow-and-sure casting due to lack of Energy Reserve (either because no rule books with ER or against the gameworld rules). With enough wizards who know manastone (despite its hefty prerequisites), you could get some biggish manastones with acceptable quirks fairly easily, and then if each wizard uses such a manastone for the intended enchantment of X square feet, all with quick-and-dirty enchantment...
Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #70
JMason

If the goal is to get a flying ship for your party... and the GM is ok with that goal... why not get the Research and/or Carousing (or other social) skills... and ask the GM if you can go looking for rumors of any legendary lost flying ships... perhaps ones that were trapped in a cave in... and are now guarded by a dragon... that needs slaying?

I'm only half kidding here. If you really want to "do it yourself", there are ways to do that... but it is almost certainly easier to either (1) be fabulously rich and have others do it for you, or (2) go on a quest!