Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
Bookworm42

Default Sex Change Wording

Hello, peoples!

I was playing a game of Munchkin with some friends, and I was facing a monster that got a bonus against females. My friend had a Curse! Change Sex, and played it on me. But I had a Sex Change Potion, so I played it on myself. But my friend read the Curse! Change Sex card and pointed out that it said "After that, there is no further penalty. However, the change is permanent." and said that my Potion would do nothing because it said "permanent".

But I was thinking, since it was the first set, the "permanent" meant permanent-as-opposed-to-the--5-combat-bonus permanent and not permanent permanent. So, who is right? Thanks in advance!
Bookworm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Sex Change Wording

The change is "permanent" in that something like a Wishing Ring won't reverse the switch from male to female (or vice versa) if you do not use such a card to immediately cancel the Curse before it can take effect. The only reason the rules mention to keep the card around is to remember the secondary effect (the -5 penalty) which can be gotten rid of by fighting a Monster (in a legal setting, you can't just suddenly decide to fight a Monster) or using a Wishing Ring (or similar card) later. It does not mean permanent in the sense that some other card which will change your sex won't ever work for the rest of that game.

In short, what you did was legal, and thanks to the wording on Sex Change Potion, I would rule that you'd overridden the -5 combat penalty from the previous change, as well.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change sex, sex change