Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
Adames123

Default Mate and Annihilation Question

-A monster is played.
-The card mate is played on that monster making a copy.

Would annihilation act as a Deus Ex Machinegun removing both the copy and the original when played on the original monster?

From my understanding mate acts as a wandering monster that adds the same monster with the same enhancers as the original. If someone plays annihilation on the original monster I would assume that the copy still exists as the monster was in play long enough to make a copy.
Adames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Mate and Annihilation Question

The Mate is a separate Monster which just so happens to continually duplicate another Monster in the combat. That's why we have ruled in the past that any card that would remove one Monster played to remove a Monster that has a Mate should be used to remove the Mate, for simplicity's sake. In fact, any cards that can be played on a Monster should be played on the original. I know that there are similar cards to Mate which actually do something a little different, so in those cases, you may want to keep the duplicate and not the original (e.g., Mommy creates a more powerful copy). But, I can't see too many scenarios where you might want to use Annihilation or other Monster removal cards in that way, and no, that was not an invitation for others to provide me such scenarios.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
DRaider_GR

Trying to figure this out.

There is a fight with a monster and it's Mate which just joined.

Case 1: The Munchkin in fight plays Annihilation to Mate monster. Mate monster is Annihilated, but Mate card returns to the Munchkin had it (according to what happens with Wondering Monster card). Having Mate card again at his hands, he puts a Mate in fight again. Well, that didn't go well for Munchkin in fight... :)
Case 2: The Munchkin in fight plays Annihilation to Mate card. Mate card now is Annihilated, and Mate monster returns to the Munchkin had it (according to what happens with Wondering Monster). The problem is... there is no monster card to take at his hands. Well, this isn't working, is it? :)
Case 3: The Munchkin in fight plays Annihilation to the original monster. The monster is now Annihilated, but the Mate which is not canceled, has no monster to copy any more, so Munchkin now fights the Mate monster with what the original had before the Annihilation. After the fight is over, monster card goes off the game.

Looks like (to me, at least) Case 3 is the only good option to play Annihilation, but i would like to read if there are any alternative cases for these two cards and if i'm correct on the first two cases.
Edit: Case 2 is probably a good option too, because it removes Mate card from game and doesn't return any monster at hands.

Last edited by DRaider_GR; 07-01-2014 at 04:42 PM.
DRaider_GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Annihilation removes the card it is played on, always. If you play it on Mate, then Mate doesn't return to anyone; it goes in the box until you start a new game.

In case this is what's causing the confusion: You do not play Mate with another Monster card like you do Wandering Monster, since Mate is the Monster card, in a way. For example, if you play Mate on a Plutonium Dragon, you are now facing two Plutonium Dragons: The original, and its mate (represented by the Mate card), with a total combat strength of 40. If someone plays Ancient on the Plutonium Dragon (before or after Mate was played), you are now facing two Ancient Plutonium Dragons with a combat strength of 60!

Now, I explained above that we mildly insist that you get rid of the duplicating card, not the original, when it comes to Monster removing cards (except in the extremely rare cases of cards like Mommy), and that you only play Monster Enhancers on the original, since that makes life that much easier in solving the math.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 07-01-2014 at 08:56 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
DRaider_GR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
You do not play Mate with another Monster card like you do Wandering Monster, since Mate is the Monster card, in a way.
The magic words. I'm informed for the rest you say, what was confusing me was that when you play Mate card, you see it like you have Mate card and Mate monster. So, you just play Annihilation on Mate and that's it. Simple!
DRaider_GR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annihilation, mate