Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 06-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #21
SteveS

Default Re: Literary source for anti-psionics prejudice?

It might be interesting to invite Michael Andre-Driussi into this discussion, since he did such a good job on other aspects of the literary origins of Traveller. He has written for SJ Games, by the way (specifically GURPS New Sun), so he may even have a SJ Games forum account already.

Additionally, there are some Traveller pioneers who could offer their own histories if they were asked at the right time -- for example, if Marc Miller turned up at a game convention Q&A. Sadly, the most accessible Traveller pioneer is gone. Loren probably could have told us a lot if we had asked him while he was alive; he probably could have written a great JTAS article about it too.

One possible literary explanation for Traveller psionics, particularly suppression, is inversion of literary examples, rather than copying. There are a fair number of examples of psionic aristocracy -- notably the Darkover series, which dates back to the 1950s -- and it's not ridiculous to imagine designers looking at a source and saying, "Let's do the opposite of this."
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #22
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
It might be interesting to invite Michael Andre-Driussi into this discussion, since he did such a good job on other aspects of the literary origins of Traveller. He has written for SJ Games, by the way (specifically GURPS New Sun), so he may even have a SJ Games forum account already.

Additionally, there are some Traveller pioneers who could offer their own histories if they were asked at the right time -- for example, if Marc Miller turned up at a game convention Q&A. Sadly, the most accessible Traveller pioneer is gone. Loren probably could have told us a lot if we had asked him while he was alive; he probably could have written a great JTAS article about it too.

One possible literary explanation for Traveller psionics, particularly suppression, is inversion of literary examples, rather than copying. There are a fair number of examples of psionic aristocracy -- notably the Darkover series, which dates back to the 1950s -- and it's not ridiculous to imagine designers looking at a source and saying, "Let's do the opposite of this."
It becomes obvious whenever one imagines psis existing in sufficient strength for someone to ask how they avoid a psiocracy.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #23
Mike Wightman

Odd John by Olaf Stapledon.
Mike Wightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #24
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
New Sun is from an era pre-dating this forum by a good bit. I don't recall him being active on the Pyramid fora back then either.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #25
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
We're looking for a setting where (1) virtually everyone has psionic potential, (2) an "extremely low profile" organization exists to test and train that potential, and (3) "[t]he climate of public opinion about psionics is extremely negative."
This is the same as the premise of STAR WARS (1977), where everyone contributes to the Force, Jedi are underground, and Vader is busy Force-choking rivals.

Perhaps it is influenced by Wyndham's THE CHRYSALIDS (1955), where mutants are literally, religiously persecuted in Newf, regularly produce a telepathic minority, and are supported by an advanced, hidden enclave of fellow talents.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard

Last edited by jeff_wilson; 06-07-2017 at 10:01 PM.
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #26
MrTim

Didn't Marc Miller say somewhere that the limitations on psi were entirely for game balance purposes?
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #27
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTim View Post
Didn't Marc Miller say somewhere that the limitations on psi were entirely for game balance purposes?
I think a simple mechanic allowing someone to attempt to resist psionic influence -- which CT lacks -- would have been a much cleaner solution to game balance.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #28
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
This is the same as the premise of STAR WARS (1977), where everyone contributes to the Force, Jedi are underground, and Vader is busy Force-choking rivals.
On the other hand, ObiWan Kenobi is a hero. Regardless, Marc Miller has said that Star Wars came out too late to really influence the original design of Traveller. At best, Star Wars and Traveller drew from the same source material in similar ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTim View Post
I would love to see a cite to this.

Quote:
The cited sources are strongly literary. The only exceptions are Star Wars and Star Trek, which I think we can agree are only peripheral influences at best.
I have to modify this: in his White Dwarf #23 interview, Marc Miller said, "Movies and television particularly affected me."
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #29
MrTim

Quote:
I would love to see a cite to this.
Believe me, I wish I had one. I vaguely remember seeing something to that effect in the run-up to T5, but I don't even remember if it was in a new article or something archival.
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #30
Fred Brackin

Quote:

I have to modify this: in his White Dwarf #23 interview, Marc Miller said, "Movies and television particularly affected me."
Hrmpf. movies and TV pre-77 that even vaguely resemble Traveller are not thick on the ground.

You've go to pick and choose your star Trek even. Cyrano Jpnes and Harry Mudd, the odd mining colony and space station might be it.

Tags
old school, psionics