Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #31
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: A Fallout'esque Post Apocalypse Campaign

Tema, what supplements do you have?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #32
Tema69

@GoZ: You're right about the ST point cost. He added Gigantism late in the process, that might have confused calculations a bit. :) Thanks a lot! The player'll thank you when I tell him.

All good ideas for the Amnesia part. :)
He already has a speed boost, though.
Good point about offsetting his physical fragility. I've added High Pain Threshold and Hard to Kill 1 so far, bought with the points from reworked abilities and stuff you guys have pointed out.

@Ragitsu: I have GURPS 1 & 2 (Characters & Campaigns) and High Tech. Also, a GURPS Fallout online document of some kind. Pretty useful actually...
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #33
Ragitsu
Banned

Ultra-Tech, despite needing more errata than usual, is worth a look. Down the lines, Powers may interest you as well.

Last edited by Ragitsu; 10-16-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #34
Ulzgoroth

I'd just call out again that this character would be extremely fragile on a TL10 battlefield. With less DR and less HP than a random grunt in a tactical hardsuit, I'm not sure the folks behind this super-soldier program got their money's worth. If somebody shoots him with a contemporary weapon, his DR wouldn't do much of anything.

But if that's the level of performance that works for your campaign, go with it.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #35
Tema69

Well, seeing how it's my campaign, and not a generic "pick anything from the book at the appropriate TL", and it's inspired by Fallout, the DR is appropriate to an airdropped light infantryman. His weapon has a 100m max range too... First of all, he's the unit's medic, and second of all, he's not intended for prolonged front-line action.
It's like comparing a TL8 SF Recon guy without armour and saying he won't last on a TL8 battlefield. First of all, they do last, but just not that long, because they're not supposed to be on one. They're s'posed to be behind it, observing/assassinating/etc...

As for his HP, I've said a few times that it's how we modelled him having rotted and disintegrated a bit underneath his plates.

But since I can understand your point about his durability, a quick fluff-answer would be that he doesn't have any of his equipment. As he is right now, he's basically "naked", combat-cyborg-wise. He might have lost his armour during the drop, or armour, ammo and weaponry is dropped separately in cannisters (think Fallschirmjägere during WW2).

BUT, since I've given the DR "Cannot wear armour", when I actually mean "cannot really wear normal armour, must have some specially crafted", how would you price that?

@Ragitsu: Yeah, I've considered picking up Ultra, but I'm kinda low-budget right now. Powers looks like its more supers-oriented though?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #36
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tema69 View Post
@Ragitsu: Yeah, I've considered picking up Ultra, but I'm kinda low-budget right now. Powers looks like its more supers-oriented though?
Nah, Supers is the more superhero centered supplement. There is some talk of comic book stunts and tiers in Powers, but most of the stuff in there can work for a straight sci-fi campaign, horror campaign, action campaign, etc.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #37
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'd just call out again that this character would be extremely fragile on a TL10 battlefield. With less DR and less HP than a random grunt in a tactical hardsuit, I'm not sure the folks behind this super-soldier program got their money's worth. If somebody shoots him with a contemporary weapon, his DR wouldn't do much of anything.

But if that's the level of performance that works for your campaign, go with it.
Keep in mind that this is a TL10 super-soldier who has "decayed" significantly. At current, he wouldn't survive a TL10 battlefield - but 300 years ago (when there was a TL10 battlefield) his stats were probably a good deal better.

A last comment on the ST cost issue. I think the Gigantism discount also applies to HP (as this is just a substat of ST), so he won't quite get back 2 cp/HP. He'll cost a bit less than current, but not as much less as if the HP was still 2/cp.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #38
Ulzgoroth

Well, he's not exactly built like a ninja either, is he? Gigantism, no stealth-related advantages... For the bulky battle-monster he seems to be, being so flimsy would be a liability. And his laser's a bit of a flashlight, for that matter.

The explanation that he's no longer up to his designed operational standards definitely covers the whole thing nicely, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tema69 View Post
Not really. Powers does have super-directed elements, but it really covers a range of...powers. Magic powers, psi powers, any kind of powers. Especially if you want them to behave a bit differently than advantages normally do from Characters.

Plus just lots of useful new modifiers and stuff.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #39
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
A last comment on the ST cost issue. I think the Gigantism discount also applies to HP (as this is just a substat of ST), so he won't quite get back 2 cp/HP. He'll cost a bit less than current, but not as much less as if the HP was still 2/cp.
At increased SM, you get a discount on ST and HP, with the intent of making it easier for bigger things to be strong/durable. I'm not clear on whether this also means that you get less points back from decreased ST/HP. Anyone else care to weigh in on this?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #40
Tema69

It says that you get to "buy ST & HP at a discount" in the book. Doesn't say anything about any changes when it comes to "selling" ST & HP. And, if the point is that it's easier for big guys to be bigger and tougher, it should be just as easy/hard to be weaker than for the normal guys, if not "harder" (but that'd be weird, rules-wise).

As for the character being a TL-10 wuss, please keep in mind that he has decayed significantly, he's practically "unarmed" and "unarmoured" and doesn't have his combat equipment.

The body armour designed for this guy would probably be at +30 DR chest, and a bit on the limbs too. Add in a Laser rifle or something similar, grenades, perhaps even a stealth generator on stealth missions, stuff like that... and suddenly, he's quite more durable on said TL10 battlefield.
Also, increasing his ST, HP & HT to... 13-15 would probably be about right, had it been 300 years ago. A decay of 3-6 points seems reasonable, doesn't it?

---

Unrelated to the current discussion, but related to my plans for the Shiny Bottlecap adventure, I'm thinking of throwing in some pretty tough mercs as suggested, but they should be mostly intent on capturing them (or at least capturing one or two). A few leaders/NCOs in Power Armour, some basic troops in good Kevlar and such, and weapons good enough to take on most of the PCs (which'll mean AP ammo and perhaps even an AT weapon for Goodman in Power Armour). They should probably have intelligent tactics, and have chosen their battlegrounds wisely. Suggestions for the ambush site, anyone? Tactics should involve stun grenades of various kinds, traps (holes in the ground? :D ), nets, net launchers, stuff like that?

As I see this, they should have two options (at least) - the first being PC victory, and they interrogate a captured NPC merc. Second option being the PCs losing, and being interrogated. From there on, they'll be interrogated. They could try to escape, talk, lie or bribe their way out of it?

Tags
campaign, fallout, fallout post apocalypse, post-apocalyptic