Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
Anders

Default Need help building power: Alternate Blows

From Celtic Myth:

In combat, alternate blows wound or heal you. The first hit does normal damage; the second hit heals that amount of damage. The third blow harms, the fourth heals, and so on. The advantage takes up where it left off at the end of the last combat.

There are a couple of ways to do this - one way is to DR (Absorption)... but that only heals half the amount done on every other blow. The other is some kind of Extreme Regeneration that activates every other blow and heals up to 10 HP per second. Both fall somewhat short of the original ability, and I suppose I could just port it over "as is" (for a cost of 75 points, which seems fair). Thoughts?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Need help building power: Alternate Blows

Maybe taking the damage as a point value and applying Cosmic to that at some level? I did something like that in Powers: The Weird, though I was applying it to an illusion ability, which may be easier to rationalize having that effect.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Apply the DR (Absorption) to all the blows, so that it charges on each hit. Then, the DR will have soaked enough points over two hits to fully heal the second hit. Since the first hit is supposed to hurt, you'll want a limitation for "Only Absorbs on odd-numbered hits, but lets the injury through". Sounds about -30%-ish, off the top of my head.

Or you could call it an Enhancement to double healing, plus the Limitation to only apply to even-numbered blows.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
spacemonkey

This advantage protects absolutely from 50% of attacks, while providing healing exactly equal to the other 50%. That could be a ridiculous amount of healing with extra hp, Unkillable, high HT, etc... and high incoming damage, and the infinitely effective defense for 50% of attacks isn't bad either.

That would be really expensive to simulate in 4E. Put some caps or limits on it and it will be much cheaper. If this advantage protected from 75% of the damage of every other attack, that sounds like IT:DR 4 with -50% for accessibility for 50 character points. You could then build a healing effect with the other 25 points, again with a -50% accessibility limitation.

Capping with DR instead of IT:DR and using absorbing as suggested would make the ability even more straightforward.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Anders

I'm thinking about making this IT: DR (2) with a Cosmic enhancement of some sort that changes it from affecting half the damage on each hit to affecting all the damage on half the hits. Maybe a +100% enhancement, since it can be gamed rather easily.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

That looks like a better bet to me.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That looks like a better bet to me.
And maybe then just skip the part about healing. Doing that would be so expensive - we're talking 200 points or more to heal 12 points of damage per attack...
Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
And maybe then just skip the part about healing. Doing that would be so expensive - we're talking 200 points or more to heal 12 points of damage per attack...
I'd go for DR with -100% doesn't protect and +80% absorption, healing only, and then either a limitation for every other attack, or half the value and use it every other attack, but then you can lose potential healing as you lose your absorption points. That makes the healing half pretty cheap.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=29656

http://www.mygurps.com/r_absorption.html?p=irh&v=0

Last edited by spacemonkey; 07-23-2016 at 10:06 AM.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Actually, if you have injury tolerance (2) across the board it means that the absorbtion DR actually heals 100% of the damage by default.

Can the system be gamed by both sides? as in having your buddy do an all out attack with a sledge hammer on a healing cycle?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Actually, if you have injury tolerance (2) across the board it means that the absorbtion DR actually heals 100% of the damage by default.

Can the system be gamed by both sides? as in having your buddy do an all out attack with a sledge hammer on a healing cycle?
Yep. My guess is that we're looking at a +300% modification here...

Tags
advantages, celtic myth, powers