Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-19-2016, 04:16 AM   #31
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Munchkin Collectible Card game?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisDog View Post
It looks to be another Munchkin set... but what's with the name? Why isn't it Munchkin: Moop's Monster Mashup, like previous games in the series?
Moop's Monster Mashup shuffles right into any existing Munchkin game. The backs even match the classic Munchkin game (and Legends, Oz, Conan, and a few others).

The Munchkin line is deep, and that depth of choice makes existing Munchkin fans happy since they understand how to layer sets to customize the game to fit personal tastes. That depth can be scary, though, when someone is new to the game.

Moop's Monster Mashup stands alone and separate and offers a new starting point for the Munchkin series. Identifying this as a separate game helps encourage new players to give the game a try. We're confident that the back of the box will provide existing Munchkin players enough info that they'll know what to do.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:18 AM   #32
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
My biggest problem with CCGs, really, is not JUST the expense, but how little you often GET for that expense.
Try some draft tournaments. The experience offers a lot more than just opening card packs. (Though some get a fascinating rush and sense of joy just in the act of opening packs and discovering cards.)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #33
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Try some draft tournaments. The experience offers a lot more than just opening card packs. (Though some get a fascinating rush and sense of joy just in the act of opening packs and discovering cards.)
I've felt that rush, too....for the first few packs. Then it becomes, "ANOTHER one of THOSE? I've already got 10. Well let's see what the rare is." Any time the rare isn't new (or at least really useful), then I feel this regret of even purchasing the pack in the first place.

I might give a draft tournament a try if a Munchkin one materializes near me, depending on the cost. I've never really gotten into tournaments with any of the CCGs I've gotten, simply because even with as much money as I spent on them (and it sure seemed like a lot) I was never able to actually feel like I could remotely compete with the people that must have been spending even MORE. It isn't much fun to lose repeatedly by a large margin, and some of my experiences were against people that weren't exactly good winners.

I tended to stick to playing at home with family, which really was what led me to reevaluate bothering with games that cost SOOOOO much in the long run. I decided I'd far rather buy a BUNCH of different non-randomized games (including I don't even know how much Munchkin off hand) and get much more play value (and variety) for my buck. CCGs have a tendency to totally dominate the games budget when I get into them. I've certainly gotten more hours of enjoyment out of playing Munchkin with the family than I ever did PLAYING any of the CCGs I got into (oddly my favorite part was often organizing them in binders).

Last edited by Mister Ed; 03-19-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #34
Grimstringer

Will there still be regular munchkin expansions be released?

if not this is very sad.

if yes , then i will keep buying those. tcg model is very old and surpassed by living card games and models like magewars or what munchkin used to have..

tcg in general offer little enjoyment compared to the money you have spent for them . i was playing magic for years and stopped so i dont think i will picking a munchkin one.

drafts are nice for that one time, but then most of the cards are junk/not really used.

i wouldnt start a new tcg at all at this time, you have to be very brave to dive into this model, or stupid , or a little bit of both !(both as a producer and a player)
Grimstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #35
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimstringer View Post
Yes. The Munchkin Collectible Card Game in no way detracts from the existing Munchkin game. The CCG is an entirely new game and offers a different experience. (It's also designed for two, giving Munchkin fans a new game for those times a larger group isn't available.)

Eric and Kevin have done an incredible job on the design, and the retailers who played the game at GAMA left happy. I think once everyone sees the starters and figures out they can have a great experience with the starters we'll find new Munchkin fans and existing fans will have another way to enjoy Munchkin-style humor.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #36
ThisisDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimstringer View Post

if not this is very sad.

if yes , then i will keep buying those. tcg model is very old and surpassed by living card games and models like magewars or what munchkin used to have..

tcg in general offer little enjoyment compared to the money you have spent for them . i was playing magic for years and stopped so i dont think i will picking a munchkin one.

drafts are nice for that one time, but then most of the cards are junk/not really used.

i wouldnt start a new tcg at all at this time, you have to be very brave to dive into this model, or stupid , or a little bit of both !(both as a producer and a player)
I don't think the scene is as dead as you think it is. My FLGS regularly hosts Yugioh and MTG tournaments and events and they are always packed out. CCGs are not just a game, they are an addiction and there will always be people who don't mind sinking the cash in for the chance of reward.

It's not just the gaming too, like Mister Ed said, part of the thrill is collecting and arranging the cards into binders. I've stayed away from collectable games for a long time, but when I was young I had a huge obsession with POGs. I collected them, Madcaps, Tazos, Chupa Caps, Poison Caps, by the end I had a huge box full of them, and I knew each and every one that I had because I spent so much time just sitting looking through them. I'd probably organize and display my Munchkin cards if I didn't play with them so much.

My biggest concern for this is that there's a lot of hatred for Munchkin among Internet Smarks (Hate to use a wrestling term, but I don't really know an eqivalent name for them, the types who consider themselves almost sage like, and above other gamers, Grognards doesn't really fit), who seem to scoff at Munchkin because it isn't sophisticated enough. Indeed, I have been looked at with a mix of pity and derision when I've talked about my love of Munchkin. I hope these people don't impact sales.

And thanks, Andrew, for the recommendations by the way. Mars Attacks is definitely a favourite franchise of mine and I was thinking of getting the dice game. I got a promo card in my last order from W23 too, so if I come across it I will pick it up.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #37
geekfan

Long time gamer, first time poster, yadda yadda.

Just wanted to chime in on the discussion. I have been playtesting the CCG twice a week for about four months now (there are many perks to living in Austin), and although I am obviously not cleared to make any comments on the game I will concur with Mr. Reed that the pre-built class decks are very playable, and should be fun for Munchkin fans that aren't into the whole CCG ecosystem. There are a number of playtesters in our group that haven't attempted to build their own decks - they stick with the starter packs. That said, the cards in the boosters allow you to build some really fun decks for more competitive play, and I can't think of many throw away cards in the set. As to the fun/replay factor...well, I wouldn't be spending ~10 hours a week on the CCG if it wasn't fun. :)
geekfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #38
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisDog View Post
My biggest concern for this is that there's a lot of hatred for Munchkin among Internet Smarks (Hate to use a wrestling term, but I don't really know an eqivalent name for them, the types who consider themselves almost sage like, and above other gamers, Grognards doesn't really fit), who seem to scoff at Munchkin because it isn't sophisticated enough. Indeed, I have been looked at with a mix of pity and derision when I've talked about my love of Munchkin. I hope these people don't impact sales.
I don't spend any time worrying about people who don't like Munchkin. There are more than enough people who do who deserve my best efforts.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #39
CaptainChwelve

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Moop's Monster Mashup shuffles right into any existing Munchkin game...
This is the first I've heard of Moop's. Where can I find more information?
CaptainChwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #40
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChwelve View Post
This is the first I've heard of Moop's. Where can I find more information?
Start with the product page.

Clarifying what Phil said: Moop's Monster Mashup is a standalone Munchkin game, much like Munchkin Legends, that also blends very well with the original Munchkin set if you choose to shuffle them together.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote