Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
tbone

Default [GURPS resources] T Bone's Games Diner updates & announcements

Per this discussion, I'm adding my GURPS-related blog to the growing directory in GURPS Websites: Blogs, Wikis, Feeds . . . – and am also creating a single new forum thread to announce blog updates and other announcements. Here's my site overview:

T Bone's Games Diner (by T Bone): A long-running RPG blog focused on GURPS hacking and homebrew game design. Some items of broad interest: The GURPS Diner, experimental hacks, reader-contributed content, and Games Diner goodies on e23. Some specific GURPS faves: GULLIVER Mini notes on odd-sized creature design (GURPS 4e), GLAIVE Mini weapon design system (4e), Edge Protection armor rules (4e), COSH weapon skill system (3e), and GURPS Metric. Plus lots more; explore via search or copious topic tags. To keep up with new additions (which are... lovingly slow-cooked, let's say), watch this forum thread, the RSS feed, or this Twitter feed. Or just drop by and say HI once in a while.

All of which is old stuff to anyone on this forum. Don't worry; this thread will quickly sink to the bottom of the forum, to rise again only when summoned. (Kind of like Cthulhu.)

Watch for news of site updates. Thank you!
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
tbone

Default Latest post: Idea Pot: Kickin' It With GURPS

And, following the above, one post to announce the latest bit of site content:

Idea Pot: Kickin' It With GURPS

A very simple idea: Kicking stuff that's up high, like a bad guy's head, is kind of hard to do. For GMs willing to foot a little extra combat detail, how about handling that with a TH penalty? With a companion Technique for high-kicking martial artists (and dancers)?

Comment feedback so far suggests that it's not a bad concept, but the penalty should be modest. Join in if interested.

===

There. No more announcements by me here until I put up some new content.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
tbone

Default Re: [GURPS resources] T Bone's Games Diner updates & announcements

Hi! Wow, some new blog content appeared at the Games Diner over the past few weeks! How'd that happen?

Here's what's landed on the menu:

Cardboard Heroes artist hard at work on new figures for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy boxed set?
Okay, there's nothing at all surprising in this "rumor" post. Still, it may be of minor interest to Dungeon Fantasy RPG watchers.

GURPS' next big release gears up to tackle... the dungeon!?
Months-late reaction to the announcement of DFRPG. (Yes, the news is as fresh as the food at the Diner!)

Delving dungeons four ways with GURPS
A short look at different ways to dungeon-delve in GURPS, with or without DFRPG.

Get Religion with Dungeon Fantasy 7: Clerics
Some thoughts upon reading this fun book in the DF series.

Gaming Tips: Taking your chances on 3d6
A slightly math-y look at the probabilities involved in success rolls, with the goal of extracting a rule-of-thumb answer to a basic question: Just how much does a +1 bonus or -1 penalty matter? (Short answer: More than you might think!)

Conan the Barbarian: An original source-based analysis
A contributed analysis of Conan, aimed at building a definitive GURPS 4e version based on source material citations. A must for fans of the barbarian's barbarian!

Tiny GURPS idea: A better Outdoorsman
A wee suggestion for further additions to the Outdoorsman Talent.

Books we want: How to Be a GURPS Player
We have the book How to Be a GURPS GM, and it is great. Hm, what might lie within a companion How to Be a GURPS Player book?

Mm, that's quite a passel of slo-o-o-o-w-cooked dishes. And it looks like there's even more nutrient sludge accumulating in the Plankto-Matic™ krill vats out back. So come on over to the Games Diner, where the content is always free and always worth the price!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Nymdok

Keep it up T=Bone!
Good stuff!

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
The_Ryujin

Woot! Finally, after a long slumber, the blog that introduced me to GURPS awakens!

Good to see ya back and with so much new content.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
tbone

My thanks to you both for the very kind words!

(Dang it, now I'll have to go write more. And here I thought I was done...)

Actually, a key impetus for the spate (such as it is) of writing is mild embarrassment when I look at my lo-o-o-ng list of half-written posts, which makes me want to get the poor things out already. (You both have gaming blogs, too, so I'll bet you understand the feeling!)

Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
My thanks to you both for the very kind words!

(Dang it, now I'll have to go write more. And here I thought I was done...)

Actually, a key impetus for the spate (such as it is) of writing is mild embarrassment when I look at my lo-o-o-ng list of half-written posts, which makes me want to get the poor things out already. (You both have gaming blogs, too, so I'll bet you understand the feeling!)
Oh yeah, got 6 unfinished drafts staring at me right now heh.

Guess it's time to get back to work!

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
tbone

I haz content!

A blogger's dozen (Part IV): 13 ideas for RPG articles
Continuing a series for fellow gaming bloggers: Another batch of ideas for articles that would be useful for GMs or interesting to players. (In other words, more items for padding your own list of 'Things I don't have time to actually write' : )

Dungeon Fantasy: The Musical! feat. Bards
The Dungeon Fantasy: Denizens series offers nice splatbooks for the Barbarian and Swashbuckler professions. An exercise: Pick another DF profession and scribble out everything that could possibly go into its book. What do you get? A lot of stuff, at least where magical minstrels are concerned.
I now want to create a bard with a Fine Quality Dwarvish bassoon, an optional skill specialty in Martial Music, the Trained by a Maestro advantage, and the Pickled Piper perk...

(So. Anyone else want to try that exercise with another profession? It's kind of fun!)

Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #9
tbone

The GURPS Day weekly feed doesn't always pick up my site. (My own fault; I really should be using something normal like WordPress.) So here's yer notice of new drippings from the Diner's grill:

Magical Mystery Tours: Three GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure Seeds for Bards

Want some GREAT adventure ideas for Dungeon Fantasy? Try these instead!

They came up while writing Dungeon Fantasy: The Musical! feat. Bards, so they're musically-themed. But if your game is unbardled... well, stuff a sackbut in some poor scout's hand and tell him he's been jongleurized or troubadoured or something.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:34 AM   #10
tbone

GURPS LITE: Overdue for decennial maintenance?

Ah, 2004. Our century was but a toddler. "Paris Hilton", "Kazaa", and "wardrobe malfunction" were big search terms on Google, an Internet brand still behind red-hot AOL and Yahoo. A crazy idea called Facebook made its appearance in Harvard dorms, even as MySpace rose to online dominance. The true social, however, was happening over in the EU, which welcomed a host of former Eastern Bloc nations into its arms.

Steve Jackson Games, meanwhile, issued the version of GURPS LITE that still serves players today.

Wait – that was 13 years ago! Doesn't this book need an update!?

No. As of 2017, LITE works great! There's nothing broken to fix.

But could the book use a little once-a-decade dusting and polishing? I think so. I've jotted a few suggestions for modest tweaks and additions (as well as ideas for removing stuff to save space).

How about you? Do you think LITE could use a refresh as the 2020s (and Tech Level 9??) approach?

Link: Books we want: An updated GURPS LITE

Tags
blog, blogs