Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #11
dfinlay

Default Re: Fluid Consumption Rules

I totally agree that there are other ways of limiting things - as mentioned, having them cost FP or just putting straight-up limits and having them be jelly-like for slower drinking. Making them significantly denser than water would also give them weights that limits how many you can carry without having them be large.

That said, I actually like the aesthetic of them being large. Characters carrying around large jugs of healing or buffs is kind-of great and it fits with a theme I have in the campaign of having things be just a little awkward (for instance, the stone-skin spell generates a fair bit of encumbrance, since it literally grows a rock-like shell over your skin).

The LD50 of 6L is fascinating and surprisingly low to me. I've done 3L in a sitting on multiple occasions, but I am an abnormally heavy water-drinker (I only use mugs that can hold at least a liter for my water).

Alright, how's this sound:

I'm thinking of going with the ruling that my PCs can down 500mL in a second. A roll against HT+3 can speed this up by 250mL/sec with successive rolls being at a cumulative -1 and additional 250mL being at -3 (so downing 1L in 1 sec would be a roll against HT-3 and downing another liter the following second would be a roll against HT-4). Failure by 5 or more represents choking, retching or otherwise having to stop. Otherwise, you just have to slow down. Training (probably in the form of a perk) could give a +5 or so).

Additionally, anyone can drink 2 L without further issues. At that point, your body doesn't want to let you drink more. You can drink an extra liter with a HT+2 roll with a cumulative -2 for each extra liter. Effective fluid limits restore by 1L every half hour. Again, a perk could probably give bonuses.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:50 AM   #12
Tallor

You could also have a sort of "bodily rejection threshold" that gets worse with each dose due to a quirk in the alchemy.

I can't even think about certain medicines without feeling nauseous.

Retching doesn't reset the rejection, but does stop the intended effect!
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:09 AM   #13
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

I think 500ml in one second with no roll is a bit optimistic for an average human. I'm not going to reality test it today, but I'd think less than half that would be more like my limit. I know that I struggle to down a pint of beer in one go and it absolutely takes more than one second.

One option might be to have the roll be against Carousing! That way your stereotypical barbarian or dwarf can quaff his healing brew with the same enthusiasm he approaches his ale.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #14
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
I think 500ml in one second with no roll is a bit optimistic for an average human. I'm not going to reality test it today, but I'd think less than half that would be more like my limit. I know that I struggle to down a pint of beer in one go and it absolutely takes more than one second.

One option might be to have the roll be against Carousing! That way your stereotypical barbarian or dwarf can quaff his healing brew with the same enthusiasm he approaches his ale.
I agree with both of these.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post

I imagine that a creature with the Fast Eater (or technically, Fast-Drinker) perk would be able to increase their consumption speed, whereas potion masters would have a Cast-Rubber Stomach perk that allows them to retain metabolize potions faster without getting full. :P
Old 08-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
(E)

1.3 seconds is the no longer contested guiness would record for a liter of beer. The previous record was 2.3 seconds.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
1.3 seconds is the no longer contested guiness would record for a liter of beer. The previous record was 2.3 seconds.
Keep in mind, beer has it's own issue to with being drunk quickly that uncarbonated drinks do not.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #18
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Keep in mind, beer has it's own issue to with being drunk quickly that uncarbonated drinks do not.
Imagine if healing potions had to contain alcohol to work...
Old 08-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Sword Swallower: liquids now sounds like a valid skill.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #20
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Sword Swallower: liquids now sounds like a valid skill.
New technique idea!

Drinking
Average

Defaults: Carousing-2 or Alchemy-4. Cannot exceed Carousing+4

This character is a master of drinking things quickly an effectively. A powerful skill for alchemists--or drunken fighters!

Tags
drinking, homebrew, potions, rules