Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #21
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: Gurps Religion: Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Well, that's a silly question, it's GURPS, so it's obviously worth it! But seriously: What are the strengths and weaknesses of that book?

A little background that might help a little bit. I'm looking to make a elven state cult (worshippers who are elves, not who worship elves. Although that could be cool) for a very far away fantasy game, and I'm curious if it will provide me enough information to make something believable, and cool.
GURPS Religion is pretty good, but I'd say that you really don't need it. It has rules for clerical magic in 3E, which may or may not be useful to you. The worked examples are nice. Most of the other stuff you could find by simply doing a little research online or heading to the local library. It may be worth buying if you can get it cheaply, as a used book or in PDF form. Check e23 for the latter option.

Now, as for the elves and their state reiligion...

What about basing the Elvish religion on Islam?
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #22
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
What about basing the Elvish religion on Islam?
Cool! I'm glad I'm not the only person who's thought that would be cool! I dunno why, but they've always seemed a natural fit in my mind. Although for this one, I was basing it off my (admittedly) incomplete understanding of early Christanity/Judaism, in that they have a holy rite that nearly everyone can attend, but the "deeper mysteries" are only for the initiated. They of course would have many other functions, but "evolved mystery cult" was the defining idea. I don't have much beyond that at this point though. Heh . . .

In any case, I have so much more work to do before this takes shape.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #23
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Cool! I'm glad I'm not the only person who's thought that would be cool! I dunno why, but they've always seemed a natural fit in my mind. Although for this one, I was basing it off my (admittedly) incomplete understanding of early Christanity/Judaism, in that they have a holy rite that nearly everyone can attend, but the "deeper mysteries" are only for the initiated. They of course would have many other functions, but "evolved mystery cult" was the defining idea. I don't have much beyond that at this point though. Heh . . .

In any case, I have so much more work to do before this takes shape.

You could still take inspiration from Islam, if you include look at the msytical traditions within the religion, most especially the practices of some Sufi orders.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, religion