Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #21
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: How exactly would a Religion of a god of theives work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
Hm something I was considering for a game of dnd was playing a cleric of a god of thieves. The process of thinking was I want to play a roguish personalty type character yet I also want to be a cleric so I can actually have a good use, so logically a chaotic neutral god for thieves rouges and bards would have kind of a loose moral rule set so I can be a bit of a rogue while avoiding the problem of the stick up his ass lawful good paladin.

Hm I just wondering how exactly would such a thing be organized with temples and the resources to train clerics to begin with if your main worshipers are traveling mistrals and thieves people who probably can't have a public church. Would worshiping such a being be something you keep to your self or like social stigma? I don't know anyone has any thoughts, are their real life equivalent temples to gods of thieving and debauchery? Figure this be a good place to ask since everyone in this forum seems to have very esoteric knowledge.

What do you mean by religion?

Is this god the god of his own religion followed by a particular culture, separate from the religious tradition/s of other cultures in the setting?
A city of thieves in which everyone worships this god, and the other gods are denied as false or dismissed as foreign?

Or are his cult and the rituals associated with it part of a larger religious tradition?

Are we looking at monotheism, henotheism, or polytheism?

Something else?
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Meh to be fair if your specific you can get particular benefits ...at least in 4th edition...still not entirely sure of 3.5
Sure, but you also get good domain powers and spells from being a cleric of the pantheon. Also, like I said, I saw Artificers, Fighters, Rogues, and Wizards played as henotheists in Eberron, which cult-specific domain powers does not explain at all!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #23
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Sure, but you also get good domain powers and spells from being a cleric of the pantheon. Also, like I said, I saw Artificers, Fighters, Rogues, and Wizards played as henotheists in Eberron, which cult-specific domain powers does not explain at all!
Meh it might also just come down to the player, they are more used to idea of worshiping one god since the only pantheon I think still is a major religion is hindu..I think but probably am horrible wrong somewhere (That just what I assume these days, everything I think I know is wrong.) that and one individual is easier to keep pleased then an entire group (and in some cases are more okay with less then lawful good acts)
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #24
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Meh it might also just come down to the player, they are more used to idea of worshiping one god since the only pantheon I think still is a major religion is hindu..I think but probably am horrible wrong somewhere (That just what I assume these days, everything I think I know is wrong.) that and one individual is easier to keep pleased then an entire group (and in some cases are more okay with less then lawful good acts)

It depends on what you mean by major, gods, and pantheon.

But if you want examples of religions with multiple gods (however defined) then what about Shinto, the varieties Buddhism that do involve gods, Chinese folk religion, African Diaspora religions, and indigenous animist traditions?

Please not that the list includes religious traditions with ideas about gods/spirits/principles that are quite different from the typical D&D fantasy pantheon.

Last edited by combatmedic; 09-25-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #25
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
It depends on what you mean by major, gods, and pantheon.

But if you want examples of religions with multiple gods (however defined) then what about Shinto, the varieties Buddhism that do involve gods, Chinese folk religion, African Diaspora religions, and indigenous animist traditions?
Okay so I was wrong as usual....
Old 09-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #26
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Okay so I was wrong as usual....
Well, I wouldn't say you are wrong.

It's a question of what you consider a "major religion", and what you consider "gods" and "pantheon."

I'm not being facetious.

By some definitions, you are spot on. Hinduism is the biggest polytheist religion.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #27
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't say you are wrong.

It's a question of what you consider a "major religion", and what you consider "gods" and "pantheon."

I'm not being facetious.

By some definitions, you are spot on. Hinduism is the biggest polytheist religion.

Hm what I should probably say is more of, the religion of the major demographics of people who play rpgs are used to...but of course I have no stats on anything so for all I know Dnd and Gurps could have huge followings with people into Shintoism and Hindu.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #28
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Hm what I should probably say is more of, the religion of the major demographics of people who play rpgs are used to...but of course I have no stats on anything so for all I know Dnd and Gurps could have huge followings with people into Shintoism and Hindu.
I dunno about India, but I think GURPS may be fairly big in Japan.

This board is mostly Americans (North and South) and Europeans. But we do have people from all around the world.

Probably more relevant, though, is the majority religious culture/background/exposure of your players.

Are they mostly from a Christian background?

Perhaps they are used to the idea of worshipping a single deity, then.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #29
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
I dunno about India, but I think GURPS may be fairly big in Japan.

This board is mostly Americans (North and South) and Europeans. But we do have people from all around the world.

Probably more relevant, though, is the majority religious culture/background/exposure of your players.

Are they mostly from a Christian background?

Perhaps they are used to the idea of worshiping a single deity, then.

Hm it would be interesting to hear from other people who played games with people in sort of religions if they handle the the subject of deities in rpgs any differently.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #30
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Hm it would be interesting to hear from other people who played games with people in sort of religions if they handle the the subject of deities in rpgs any differently.
Indeed. It would also be interesting to look at RPGs designed by people from non Abrahamic cultures.
I'm thinking less of generic systems like GURPS or FUDGE and more of setting specific games, or games with a fairly well-defined meta-setting like D&D.

Tags
clerics, gods, religion, theives