Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #41
The Benj

Default Re: Intercepting meteors with magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
Cast missile shield on a small rock. Teleport the rock directly in the path of the asteroid as early as possible. The slight adjustment this will make in the asteroid's course will be plenty to take the asteroid off its course of planetary collision.
The meteor will go straight through, unaffected by the Missile Shield.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #42
LemmingLord

That isn't how I read it.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #43
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
That isn't how I read it.
Magic not working on the meteor is an explicit part of the scenario.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #44
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Magic not working on the meteor is an explicit part of the scenario.
The assumption is that the meteor is made of meteoric iron per the DF definition, just to make it more difficult. Otherwise there's lots of solutions that affect the meteor directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF1
Meteoric†: Meteoric iron is immune to magic – Reverse Missiles, Steelwraith, Turn Blade, and so on won’t stop it, and Shape Metal, Shatter, and the like can’t destroy it. Of course, it can’t benefit from enchantments, weapon-enhancing spells, or magical repairs.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #45
LemmingLord

Use the same rock and missile shield combo to knock the planet's moon out of orbit and on an interception course with to meteor. You will need a mathematician, a cartographer, an astronomer and a navigator. Could be the acquiring of people could take several adventures.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #46
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
*snicker*

I defy you to determine what the energy cost for that spell is - .
That one's easy. The Earth or a similar planet is a SM+44 object. Casting a Regular Spell on it costs 45x normal. Note that you can not blame this on Grimoire. As far as I can tell it's part of one of the few things changed in Magic for 4e.

Phase Other or Blink cast on the world probably wouldn't work due to size/time issues. There is a clause in Timeslip where the thing Timeslipped stays in limbo until the threat passes i.e. the meteor finishes passing through the place the world's temporarily vanished from. Unfortunately that's going to take as much as 1200 seconds and impose a penalty equal to the number of extra seconds needed.

I don't know off-hand of a Regular Spell that's quite right but do to the Regular Spell/SM issue casting such a Spell on a planet-sized object is definitely conceivable.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #47
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That one's easy. The Earth or a similar planet is a SM+44 object. Casting a Regular Spell on it costs 45x normal. Note that you can not blame this on Grimoire. As far as I can tell it's part of one of the few things changed in Magic for 4e.

Phase Other or Blink cast on the world probably wouldn't work due to size/time issues. There is a clause in Timeslip where the thing Timeslipped stays in limbo until the threat passes i.e. the meteor finishes passing through the place the world's temporarily vanished from. Unfortunately that's going to take as much as 1200 seconds and impose a penalty equal to the number of extra seconds needed.

I don't know off-hand of a Regular Spell that's quite right but do to the Regular Spell/SM issue casting such a Spell on a planet-sized object is definitely conceivable.
If I did the math right, 1 cubic yard is equal to 764554.858 cubic centimeters, which multiplied by 5.175 grams per cubic centimeter, equals 3,952,748.616 grams or roughly 4.35 tons of lodestone. This costs 6 energy per cubic yard, so we're looking at (for 110 energy), roughly 18 cubic yards per ritual casting (assuming 100 people contributing 1 energy each plus 10 energy from the spell caster - all assuming that they all want with their hearts, for the ritual to succeed).

How many castings of this on a daily basis would be required before a sufficiently large enough deposit of lodestone would exist would require better heads than mine!
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #48
hal

Sheesh - when I posted my response, I had not only recalculated the size modifier of Earth, but also had a intro to why I was looking at creating Lodestone to attract a meteoric iron object on the presumption that meteoric iron does not create a mana dead zone surrounding it.

My recalculated value for Earth's Size modifier was a base 41 based on a calculated diameter of about 13 million yards, which is larger than 10 million, but smaller than 15 million. Per the information on Size modifier calculations, I added a +2 for the "sphere" shape, for a final size modifier of Earth being about 43 (instead of 44).

How my post LOST the stuff I put in at the beginning, boggles my mind. I've never had that happen before.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #49
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
My recalculated value for Earth's Size modifier was a base 41 based on a calculated diameter of about 13 million yards, which is larger than 10 million, but smaller than 15 million. Per the information on Size modifier calculations, I added a +2 for the "sphere" shape, for a final size modifier of Earth being about 43 (instead of 44).

How my post LOST the stuff I put in at the beginning, boggles my mind. I've never had that happen before.
I had done it quick and dirty from the "75 miles" listing at SM +29. !00 x that is +12 and SM+41.That's not quite at the just under 8000 miles you need for the Earth even after you add the +2 fr spherical. It would cover Venus. So I went up another SM because this is a bit more than the "6' or 7' " issue.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #50
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Apportation on the world to move it out of the way. Or Great Haste on the world to make it take two turns of movement instead of one.

Tags
magic, meteors