Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #21
SmS

Default Re: [OOC] Willow Park Academy of The Supernatural

Then again...geniuses can be good at things.
SmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #22
LemmingLord

How old is the telepath? It might be ok that he learned computer repair just from tinkering.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:55 AM   #23
fifiste

I was thinking on the older side maybe 16? For the tinkering I was more thinking on the ability to repair several things and fiddle with several stuff just not very well - a hobby I have several high IQ people seen delighted in.
BUt when I saw electronics repair it needed a specialty.

Maybe Hobby skill electronics(allows any specialty of electronic repairs and such but at -5 or -6?) hed be skill 6 or 7 so capable for stuff only that has good TDM. Not good enough for field work of any kind, but good enough to kill his free time (extra TDM from taking extra time allows to get more complicated hobby projects to get finished.)

Another possibility might be Hard skill electronics engineer - he'd be able to do several repairs etc. at skill 7. He might be able to devise simple gadgets (skill 10),
I'd need to reallocate a point to mathemathics(applied) from soemwhere though.
But in a way it would work nice . There would be no need for a new hobby skill and it would be somewhat understandable that someone tinkering days on end with electronics could also devise a simple gadget or two.

edit:
Edited the character. He now has
Engineer/TL8(Electronics) -10(IQ-2)[1];
Mathematics/TL8(Applied) -10(IQ-2)[1] ;(prerequisite for Engineer)
instead of
Electronics Repair/TL8(Computers) -12(IQ+0)[2];

He will be able to do all kinds of small repairs etc. with an effective skill of 7, and now he knows some maths too (not unlikely for a smart lad)

Last edited by fifiste; 11-12-2014 at 08:32 AM.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #24
SmS

I'm wondering if I should lower some of his skills. I'll let his natural advantages boost them, but maybe a kid shouldn't have more than four points invested in most things, since the point investment is what really represents time practicing.

I'll probably keep a higher amount in Judo and Performance, since he's been really active in those fields for a little over a year, but those values should probably drop a bit, too.

Any suggestions for maximum skill point investment for a 12-year-old?

I'd probably use the extra points to buy back some of the restrictions I put on Patron; I can explain them, but it got pretty convoluted.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #25
LemmingLord

3rd edition used to say you should have an unusual background to have more than twice your age in points; so we might use that as an absolute maximum and assume LESS (unless you live a life of privilege and/or parents that know how to really push you to learn).. Of course we all have our powers as part of a free unusual background so I would say points spent on skills directly related to your primary power (say climbing for monkey man or psychology for a mibd reader) should not count against the guideline.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #26
SmS

I've edited my original character entry to reflect this; boosted his Climb, simplified Patron, and generally rounded him out a bit.

Tags
magic, psionics, roleplay, school