Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #31
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Re: Naming the Gods

So many methods...

The simplest was the one I used for my very-generic-fantasy setting, which just grabbed the names of several gods from both real-world religions (Generally aiming for more obscure gods and mythological figures) and fictional ones (Stories, other RPGs, etc).

Otherwise, I tend to just make them up. Most times I would start with a sound that sounds appropriate for the god, then poke and prod and warp it until it works as a name. Sometimes I'll take a word or a couple words that could relate to them (Usually English, sometimes not), and mutilate them until they work.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #32
Snargash Moonclaw

I make the up. Of course, you've seen the Panisadore material so you probably knew that already. A small few are real-world references, though not to deities, rather just examples of my sense of humor. Specifically, Rimilnix (who absolutely cannot lie,) comes from Richard Milhouse Nixon, Behldamh (Goddess of Insanity or Psychiatry, depending on how you look at it) is a pseudo-anagram (with gratuitous "h"es) of Bedlam (the common shortening of Bethlehem, the first "psychiatric hospital - to put it very generously), Durmahd and Jehlhakh (The Friends) are similar anagrams as well as an STNG reference, Nuhveen ("My name is Nuhveen. I like to yell and shoot") came from a sci-fi series back in the 80s, Hendriszt (God of Bards) is a mash-up of Hendrix and Liszt, Thelema (Goddess of Fate/Karma) is a Crowley reference and (like The Arcane,) Mine (God of Greed/Thieves) is really a description - his name has been long forgotten.

I do use multiple similar names for a couple, e.g., Shaliah and Salistreah both derive from the older Shalireah. While Shaliah and Salistreah are clearly separate deities, they most likely were in fact originally the same one (Shalireah). I make no attempt to actually resolve that or a number of other "discrepancies," such as various (mutually exclusive) familial relationships, implicit and explicit. The arguments about them by scholars in the setting are much more important to the actual feel of the setting and its play than meta' detail. Contradictions are actually pretty common in terms of origin (humans and dwarves both claim Thelema) as well as portfolio - the Lyricists' take on Hebnaritath (Entropy) is very different from the common perception (Murder) and also far more accurate. That last detail is an exception to the "leave it ambiguous" rule of thumb as it is the basis of the activities/policies of certain groups but (as with "?",) what's really going on there is strictly GM - details are in the CBG wiki but not the players' wiki on OP.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #33
Humabout

Pretty cool stuff. I remember you had some really detailed setting info. Now that I've got some names, I can begin writing up s bit of background on the gods and hopefully expand a bit. While I'm focusing on one region in particular, right now, I'll probably come up with some names for these gods in other neighboring areas, as well. Those will likely be minor variations on the existing names with a few straight-up foriegn sounding ones.

As far as relationships and development goes, I'm hoping to eventually work toward that as I fill in the gaps between godly realms. I'm really making all of this by starting with where I want the setting to end up and trying to justify it with the fluff (like deities, how death and spirits work, how magic works, etc.). This is the exact opposite of how I usually worldbuild, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #34
Snargash Moonclaw

Cool - can't wait to see it. Are you going to post it up on CBG and/or OP?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #35
Humabout

Both probably. Might be a few weeks, though. I'm still kicking around a lot of stuff.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 12-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #36
Snargash Moonclaw

Okay. If you need to bounce ideas feel free to tag me - I've usually got my IM client open and I see you among my yahoo contacts.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #37
Astromancer

Pick the languages your Cultures/Player Races use, then rename the archetypes their gods represent in that language.

If your Humans use Anglo-Saxonish stuff, or Latin-like stuff, your Elves use a Finnish/Welsh mixture, Your Dwarves use a Hebrew/Norse mix, and your Orcs use a Russian/Spainish mix. Then mess around with those phonemes.

Lets say the Anglo-Saxon/Lowlands Scots like group calls the principle Goddess the Grain Mother. The Imperial Romans call her the Land Queen. The Elves call her the Forest Lady. The Dwarves call her Deep Stone Woman. And the Orcs call her Grandmother Witch.

Her names might be....

A'cennicge Corncith

Terra Reginae

Metsä Wraig

I can't find a Hebrew translater that uses Roman letters so I'll stop here.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-28-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: incomplete
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
Humabout

I'll eventually head in that sort of direciton once I get a game rolling and someone travels outside the initial region. I figure there will likely be either general pronunciation and/or spelling shifts for the local gods in the surroundign regions, or minor influences of these gods in those regions (and probably vice versa). Where gods merge, the local name will predominate; where the gods coexist, a pronunciation/spelling shift will occur. This should add some nice color to the setting, I think.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #39
Wildcat

Coming up with names is one of the hardest parts for me in designing a setting. I'll look for inspiration everywhere and use online name generators, usually tweaking results. I try really hard not to directly ape something from somewhere else, either reality or a work of fiction.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, religion