Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #41
DanHoward

Default Re: ship dimensions (TL1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Thanks for taking the time to look up some stats, I could not spare it! It seems like their reconstruction is heavier than we are estimating the Kyrenia ship was.
Their first reconstruction of the Ulu Burun ship was a lot lighter but after examining a wider range of data, they decided that it was unrealistic and created a new model. The result is pretty good considering the limitations involved. IMO the modelling of the Kyrena ship is looking like it is too light since they used many of the same assumptions that the Ulu Burun team initially used.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #42
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Therefore it seems to me from linearity and similarity considerations that if you have an ellipsoidal hull with half-length a, half-length b, and half-height c floating to draught h in the intended orientation (with two principle axes parallel to the liquid surface and one perpendicular to it), that the hull must displace
V = ab/c² ∙ πh²(3c-h)/3
= π abh²(3c-h)/3c²
Translating to length A and beam B, and with c the height from keel to gunwale, I get
V = π ABh²(3c-h)/12c²
I take it that ab/c^2 is a proportionality constant and that the rest is just the original equation expressed in terms of the vertical principal axis?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #43
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I take it that ab/c^2 is a proportionality constant and that the rest is just the original equation expressed in terms of the vertical principal axis?
Exactly. abc/c³ is the ratio of the volume of the ellipsoid to the volume of a sphere of radius c.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #44
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Exactly. abc/c³ is the ratio of the volume of the ellipsoid to the volume of a sphere of radius c.
It looks to me as if it's possible to simplify this, by normalizing to the volume of the body (equated to 1) and by doing the analysis for a sphere, as the proportionate depth should be the same for a sphere and a general ellipsoid. As a further step, working with a hemisphere rather than a sphere gets us a suitable expression for most watercraft. So we have

π abh²(3c-h)/3c² / π ab(2c)/3c² = h²(3-h)/2. And that lets us get

h V
0.1 0.0145
0.2 0.056
0.3 0.1215
0.4 0.208
0.5 0.3125
0.6 0.432
0.7 0.5635
0.8 0.704
0.9 0.8505
1.0 1.0000

which lets us estimate the fraction of a ship's height that is submerged ("draft") if its burden is a given fraction of its flotation rating, for the case of a ship that is an ellipsoid with one of its principal axes vertical. At least, I think I've done the algebra right, and the numbers don't look too implausible.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote