Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #111
mehrkat

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
There's an issue there: some of the armors in the Basic Set got heavier in Low-Tech (basically, the non-metal armors). Even more problematic is that armor got more costly in Low-Tech, which leads to either using three sets of numbers or accepting that starting characters will be weaker.
Rasputin, (an aside)

I just halved all the armor pieces in low tech for my more fantasy-like games for armor. This seemed to work out with very close to the same weights for an armored person (as found in the basic set). I really like the way Low Tech Armor Instant Armor and Armor Loadouts works where you can add pieces to make a complete set so use it in all my games but even though I know it was realistic it made armor much too expensive (in weight) for any but the most warrior like classes.

That is the pitch I give my GMs and its the logic i use.

PS if someone at SJ games wants a product idea: a reworked Instant Armor to be more fantasyesk including some loadouts for fantasy games armor, weights closer to the basic set might make a good Dungeon Fantasy addon :)

Last edited by mehrkat; 09-01-2016 at 07:54 AM.
mehrkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #112
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilobion View Post
From the sounds of it they're more than happy to ship internationally if you eat the shipping costs.
Along with the big troubles we're having with customs!

At least I guess this KS will have a PDF-only option, I don't know. Or a way of getting printed versions of them via Lulu or another PoD service, like the Dungeonesque Red Box KS has done.

If it goes well, it would be great to be able to get this physical box via amazon, which is able to get throught the customs issues by shipping into Europan countries via Germany for instance.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #113
The Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Along with the big troubles
If it goes well, it would be great to be able to get this physical box via amazon, which is able to get throught the customs issues by shipping into Europan countries via Germany for instance.
now *that* sounds nice! :)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #114
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post

Are bards not quite the same in the sense that they're basically the same but some of the numbers are different, or the effects are tweaked, or are they not quite the same in the sense that there are two different versions of the bard template and powers, sufficiently different that you could conceivably have two different kinds of bards if you included both in a campaign? Or is the new one a more versatile/better powered iteration of the original such that you wouldn't want to do that because the original bard would be sad and jealous?
Bards right now are spread thin over three areas of supernatural expertise (Bard-Song abilities, magic spells, and Enthrallment skills) and two Talents (Bardic Talent and Musical Ability); can use only three colleges of magic; and have so many points tied up in this situation that there's nothing left if, say, you want to play a nonhuman. In the box, all of these situations will take a turn for the better.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #115
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredSaint View Post
Will it include revised weights for the too-heavy armors presented in the 4th Edition Basic Set?
Definitely, it will be interesting to me seeing how the aforementioned "4.5 ed. take" addresses things like these!

I'd regard compatibility and possible interaction in rules with the rest of the GURPS system as a very interesting feature: for instance, being able to implement detailed combat and injury options from Martial Arts 2nd ed., Low Tech companion 2 scaling rules, and Pyramid resources like Pyramid #3/77: Combat and so on, to name just a few.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #116
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post

There's an issue there: some of the armors in the Basic Set got heavier in Low-Tech (basically, the non-metal armors). Even more problematic is that armor got more costly in Low-Tech, which leads to either using three sets of numbers or accepting that starting characters will be weaker.
Being a new game and not a GURPS supplement, the box has the luxury of picking one set of numbers and pretending the others don't exist. It went with the GURPS Low-Tech numbers because they're more recent, cover more sorts of armor over more body parts, and more obviously assemble into grab-and-go suits. This does mean armor costs a lot and, at lower DRs, weighs a lot for what you get. It also means that as you slide up the scale, armor becomes pretty efficient.

It bears pointing out, too, that between modifiers like fine and orichalcum, and the almost criminally cheap Lighten enchantment, those with money can have armor that approaches "stupidly light" if they want it. This is fantasy, where money is no object but heavy fighters traditionally clank until they finally get cool magic armor. It is not medieval Europe.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #117
The Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
And not for another hourish.
Hour mark reached. Now starting hourish countdown...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #118
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Bards right now are spread thin over three areas of supernatural expertise (Bard-Song abilities, magic spells, and Enthrallment skills) and two Talents (Bardic Talent and Musical Ability); can use only three colleges of magic; and have so many points tied up in this situation that there's nothing left if, say, you want to play a nonhuman. In the box, all of these situations will take a turn for the better.
Makes sense. I can see the tweaking happening in DF11 already - two different bard-specific Talents, the cheaper one (Bard-Song Talent) having no built-in Magery, and being the same cost as Musical Ability.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #119
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
This is fantasy, where money is no object but heavy fighters traditionally clank until they finally get cool magic armor. It is not medieval Europe.
It is also offset by the fact that while you might be functionally immune to that human with 2d+3 swing cut damage, you are not functionally immune to the giant ogre golem with 4d+14 swing crushing damage.

The scales are so different in a Fantasy game that super-high DR does not threaten plausible verisimilitude.

And there's always grappling. :-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #120
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
And there's always grappling. :-)
There's always grappling. Tooth and claw monsters aren't duelists. :)
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy