Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
GuyMacon

Default Re: Ogres too timid in Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheGEVara View Post
I also watched a close game go heavily in my favor as 6 AI GEVs overran my city-placed Infantry(3), one at a time. I killed them all with no losses. If they had come at me all at once, I would have killed 1 or 2 and then been wiped out. The odds were terrible for the lone GEVs, yet they came at me singly and wiped out most of what the AI had left.
This is where a one or two move lookahead would shine. The A.I. would have figured out that by attacking one at a time most rolls would end up with a big loss, but by attacking all at once most rolls would end up with a big win. This sort of improved decision making comes free with the lookahead.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #12
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Maybe the solution is the AI needs to read The Ogre Book ;-)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #13
selenite

I had an AI-controlled GEV overrun three SHVYs in a town hex.

I attributed it to suicide.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I had an AI-controlled GEV overrun three SHVYs in a town hex.

I attributed it to suicide.
I had an AI overrun infantry with GEVs in forest one at a time, instead of escaping through an adjacent hex in Breakthrough.

The AI real doesn't seem to understand how to win or when to use overruns.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I see single GEVs move in to take shots at SHVYs all the time. Why does the AI make moves that are pointless (eg, an A2 attacking a D5 is an automatic NE, so why do it in the first place)?
Old 12-09-2017, 12:20 AM   #16
cheGEVara

I also see AI Ogres with no weapons (only tread) overrun infantry or other Ogres. I get 2 free turns of whacking on their treads at double damage, and they get nothing. Seems idiotic.
cheGEVara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #17
Conspyre

I was playing the first few Campaign missions last night, and the OGRE definitely seemed to have no sense of taking damage in order to achieve an objective- In the mission where the OGREs have to reach the broadcast towers, I destroyed the Mk. I, and the other ended up just parked in a town hex- he had working treads, he briefly even had guns, but faced with GEV's darting in and picking at the guns (and later tanks parked 2 hexes away after his guns were gone), he gave up, used the town for cover, and I got to spend ten minutes clicking "attack treads".
Conspyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #18
Tim Kauffman

...the Descartes Revolution? Maybe it's a deep logic ploy to throw all of us off our game by the AI feigning inferiority, and then at the moment of their choosing, at the most opportune time, they fully implement and take over, crushing all opposition which was lulled into a false sense of superiority. lol

But seriously folks, AUROCH has been working hard resolving this AI issue and it shows. I especially noticed the AI behaving much better in my scenarios SHELL SHOCK and Quagmire/Quagmire! since the games launch. Thank You AUROCH! :)

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 12-13-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
Mack_JB

The AI may still be a bit timid, but I'm afraid that until something is done about the die roller (which Auroch claims is just fine), I'm only using the game for popcorn activity and blowing stuff up. The AI still consistently rolls high, I roll low, and the averages just don't add up. There's also the odd thing that about the only time I can roll a five or six is when I can target all the Ogre's firepower on a target that will absolutely "X" no matter what number I roll -- whereas I have seen multiple times where the AI uses two lone INF and gets a six against a SB.

Or what I'll call the "timing" of events. The AI will target multiple items against the Ogre, and roll NE, then on the final shot rolls the six to eliminate whatever weapon they had targeted. Or the AI ability to strip all SB off the Ogre in one fire session, once they switch to weapons instead of treads. The AI targeting order seems to always be: Missiles, Main battery, treads for a period of time, then SB, then back to treads, then AP, then lastly treads again. Often the AI only starts targeting AP after you have killed off all the INF though.

I am finding that the way to beat the AI is not the way you play against a human, so it's becoming a bad way to play the game.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Are you submitting logs?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote