Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Pip Boy

Default Omniscience or "how to assess your target's every action in life"

Hello, folks.

I'm beggining a GURPS Supers game with my friends, and a moderately powered one at that, with 2,000 starting points.

One of my players want to do a Guardian Angel, guided by God to "protect the innocent". And one of his powers is a mystery to me... I can't think of a nice build for it.

He wants to know the life of everyone he encounters, intimately. Every action, every thought behind that action, every fear, every dream. His rationale behind this is that God sends him to guard someone, and when meeting said someone - or his enemies - he have God's knowledge about that person.

I was thinking of linking cosmic Mind Probe and Mind Reading, but that don't quite cut it. How can he know about target's disadvantages? Secrets? Motivations? Every action in life?

Thoughts, anyone...?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Omniscience or "how to assess your target's every action in life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy View Post
Hello, folks.

I'm beggining a GURPS Supers game with my friends, and a moderately powered one at that, with 2,000 starting points.

One of my players want to do a Guardian Angel, guided by God to "protect the innocent". And one of his powers is a mystery to me... I can't think of a nice build for it.

He wants to know the life of everyone he encounters, intimately. Every action, every thought behind that action, every fear, every dream. His rationale behind this is that God sends him to guard someone, and when meeting said someone - or his enemies - he have God's knowledge about that person.

I was thinking of linking cosmic Mind Probe and Mind Reading, but that don't quite cut it. How can he know about target's disadvantages? Secrets? Motivations? Every action in life?

Thoughts, anyone...?
Kromm says ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
On 1,000 points? Forget about the Wolverine shtick. Just get Cerebro in your head:
Cosmic Tracking: Detect (Living Beings; Analyzing, +100%; Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; Long-Range 2, +100%; Precise, +100%; Reflexive, +40%; Time-Spanning, Past & Future, +100%; World-Spanning, All, +100%) [222]. Notes: Detects any living being at any distance, in any time or plane of existence, unless protected by a Cosmic version of Obscure. No conscious action or die roll is required on your part . . . as soon as you think of someone, you know exactly where and when he is -- down to the centimeter and second! Even when you're not trying to track a specific person, you know the location of every single living being in creation, although you'll usually only care about the ones you know or who are nearby. 222 points.
If it matters that you track other things, then get these:
Cosmic Machine Sense: Detect (Machines; Analyzing, +100%; Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; Long-Range 2, +100%; Precise, +100%; Reflexive, +40%; Time-Spanning, Past & Future, +100%; World-Spanning, All, +100%) [222]. Notes: Detects any machine at any distance, in any time or plane of existence, unless protected by a Cosmic version of Obscure. No conscious action or die roll is required on your part . . . as soon as you think of a device, you know exactly where and when it is -- down to the centimeter and second! Even when you're not trying to track a specific machine, you know the location of every single piece of machinery in creation, from the concealed pistol on the man across the room to the galaxy-eating robot in a distant parallel universe. 222 points.

Cosmic Sense of the Supernatural: Detect (Supernatural Entities; Analyzing, +100%; Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; Long-Range 2, +100%; Precise, +100%; Reflexive, +40%; Time-Spanning, Past & Future, +100%; World-Spanning, All, +100%) [148]. Notes: Detects any supernatural entity at any distance, in any time or plane of existence, unless protected by a Cosmic version of Obscure. No conscious action or die roll is required on your part . . . as soon as you think of such a being, you know exactly where and when it is -- down to the centimeter and second! Even when you're not trying to track a specific entity, you know the location of every single supernatural being, from the demon lords in Hell to the street address of every ghost and vampire. 148 points.
If your GM allows, just make these alternative abilities:
Omniscience [297] = Cosmic Tracking [222] + Cosmic Machine Sense [222/5 = 45] + Cosmic Sense of the Supernatural [148/5 = 30]
But if you do that, then while you're tracking one of people, machines, or the supernatural, you won't have your reflexive sensitivity to the other two.

Anyway, you'll have about 700 points left over for other things. If you're worried about the GM pulling a fast one and saying that something isn't a living being, machine, or paranormal thing, then you can use some of those points to pick up things from Powers like Remote Viewing [115] and Ultra-Scan [100], so you can see everything in the world "visually" and analyze distant objects like a Star Trek scanner.

Seriously, though . . . the whole ninja-stalking-and-sneaking-with-finely-tuned-senses shtick is aiming too low on 1,000 points.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Analyzing Time-Spanning Detect is superior. But if you're in the Mind Probe corner, don't forget Psychometry.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Refplace

Compartmentalized Mind so you can analyze while doing other stuff.
Mind reading with Reduced time, reflexive (so it acts more like a sense) and other things to fit.
A suite of Detects with Anaylyze as alternate abilities to reduce costs.
Get analyse Body, Analyse Power to cover most people.
High Per, Body Reading, Intelligence Analysis, Observation and other skills as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Pip Boy

Sunrunners_Fire, I've seen that answer from Kromm. But that only LOCATES targers. That don't give you any insight on their past experiences, lifes, motivations, etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Sunrunners_Fire, I've seen that answer from Kromm. But that only LOCATES targers. That don't give you any insight on their past experiences, lifes, motivations, etc.
Analyzing does; moment by moment -- and its' included on all of those. Analyzing + Time-Spanning means you get to know all of their actions, feelings, emotions, thoughts and experiences from the moment of their conception (and before) to the moment of their death (and after).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Analyzing does; moment by moment -- and its' included on all of those. Analyzing + Time-Spanning means you get to know all of their actions, feelings, emotions, thoughts and experiences from the moment of their conception (and before) to the moment of their death (and after).
No, those are Detect variants designed to track/locate someone regardless of which dimension or time they are in. It wouldn't allow you to view what they are up to, how they were feeling, or who's in proximity.

The cheapest kludge is Mind Probe so you know what your target knows, provided you can bypass their defenses. Naturally quite a few targets will have good enough defenses, but that's fairly reasonable otherwise this character will grossly limit what the GM can allow him to have contact with.

Psychometry is another good alternative for reading history and with reflexive, analyzing, and a high bonus you could get most details.

Contact (Higher Power that gives me Info on my Subject) is yet another alternative and perhaps the most reasonable if he's supplied info that mostly pertains to his guardian duties. I'd up that to Patron and let him request help in addition to information as he's part of an angel organization.

Yet other Alternatives are Danger Sense (God's warnings, perhaps w/more detail), Intuition (aspected and more accurate), Illuminated (spot patterns and things of importance), and Oracle (generally GM fed info as the GM sees fit).

Last edited by naloth; 07-12-2013 at 03:04 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:

Thoughts, anyone...?
Get God as a Contact. God's effective Skill is 21, plus he gains information by supernatural means. God is Completely Reliable making the base cost of having God as a Contact 15 points. Modify for Frequency of Appearance. This means of course that you'll only get the dossier of one person per day at most, but God wouldn't want to make it too easy. Sometimes God won't answer a question immediately, because He works in mysterious ways.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Pip Boy

Psychometry doesn't just affect objects?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
lexington

You can always tell him that isn't allowed to do that since a character who knows everything about a person automatically prevents you from having anything remotely like a mystery in the story. Gods often provide only limited information and angels are often said to be in charge of specific things.

I'd give him a souped up Mind Probe that allows him to instantly learn the life history of a person but not track every step they've even taken.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
omniscience