Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: New and Custom Quirks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Not really. Agnosticism is the only completely provable position. If you make any other commitments you must at least partly accept extrarational justifications.
Please, if you really want to go that far, then nothing, and I mean nothing is provable. I don't know if I or you really exist. It could all be a dream of one person in Africa. We are all in the Matrix, etc.
No one ever really goes that agnostic except in arguments against atheists.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #32
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Please, if you really want to go that far, then nothing, and I mean nothing is provable. I don't know if I or you really exist. It could all be a dream of one person in Africa. We are all in the Matrix, etc.
No one ever really goes that agnostic except in arguments against atheists.
Well yes, ultimately nothing is provable which is why that argument is limited, except to someone who claims to be depending completely on logic.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #33
cybermancer2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive Raven View Post
This one is at least somewhat culture bound. Americans expect people to look them in the eye during conversation. In some other cultures, if there's a difference in status, the lower status person is expected to keep their eyes down.
Forgot about the cultural differences. I think it's mostly in Asia (particularly Japan, China, and parts of Indochina) where not meeting the other's gaze is considered polite.

I was going to also suggest the converse Quirk (Always looks one in the eyes) based on that, but on second thought, that might be more of an OPH in those cultures.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #34
jason taylor

Challenges to a dual over trivial matters? Actually that is a pretty lethal quirk unless dueling is so unfashionable that no one takes it seriously.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #35
Phantasm

Quote:
Rich yet miserly: One warlord in The Gryphons Skull had all of Egypt under his thumb yet bargained like a townsman.
Isn't this just the Miserly disadvantage?

Quote:
Alternatively this could be Bargains out of habit, or bargains for fun(I have sometimes thought that if I ever visited the Middle East I would try it just for atmosphere's sake, and then leave a large tip to make up for any unlikely success because if I can afford the plane ticket I don't need to bargain).
Habitual Bargainer could be a valid quirk, yes.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #36
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Isn't this just the Miserly disadvantage?

Habitual Bargainer could be a valid quirk, yes.
The fellow I am thinking of gave me more the impression of someone who bargained for fun, but Habitual Bargainer also struck me as a possibility.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #37
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
Taking a look at Chronic Pain it might end up hovering around -5 to -10 as an ongoing, constant condition* but the whole "a few days a month" heavily mitigate it.

* Which for some women with hormonal problems it is and it would effectively lead to things like low HT, Unfit, etc. I've met women who have a menses for weeks at a time and it, and the underlying cause, do terrible things to their bodies.
Compare: "and three negative levels with the limitation (Only during new moon, -40%)." So Chronic Pain, On First Phase Of The Cycle Only -40%. Is legit.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #38
ehrbar

Quote:
If you make any other commitments you must at least partly accept extrarational justifications.
No, I don't. The statement "I believe there are no gods" implies no more metaphysical certainty than "I believe Moscow exists". My conclusion might of course be wrong, as any other conclusion I ever reach on the evidence available to me might be wrong. But I don't waste any time contemplating the possibility my conclusion is in error until I'm given an actual reason to so consider.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #39
Flyndaran
Untagged

Would "no sex drive" count as a quirk or perk?

It might give a negative reaction modifier to some groups, but it also should give a bonus or downright immunity to seduction attempts and even-out appearance modifiers.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #40
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Would "no sex drive" count as a quirk or perk?

It might give a negative reaction modifier to some groups, but it also should give a bonus or downright immunity to seduction attempts and even-out appearance modifiers.
I'd probably place it as a Quirk, as it seems mechanically almost the same as Sexless.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
quirks