Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #811
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
The "FUEL USED" for a NEMA reactor is listed as "Hydrogen/Helium Isotopes"
According to the rules in Spaceships 7 NEMA are a variant magically enhanced Fission reactor. That means it's fuel use should probably be the same as other Fission reactors - Fissionables - it looks like I accidentally gave them the same fuel as Fusion plants.

Necronium is a setting specific magical/fissionable fuel and is not mentioned in any of the spaceships books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
Also, NEMA reactors seem to have "Compact" and "Unshielded" options. What magical effects do these options mean (ie. mana levels in the hull section of an "unshielded" reactor, "hellgate" events for damaged "volatile" ones)?
Unshielded and Compact are standard power plant options. Exact effects are up to the GM for his setting; Unshielded NEMA would bathe those nearby in mana-enhanced radiation, so could cause magical mutations or magical radiation sickness. Compact simply makes the power plants Volatile - more likely to explode - but the exact effects of a mana engine exploding are up to the GM.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-11-2017 at 12:13 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #812
DaltonS

I've been thinking about applying the "Compact" option to Reactionless Engines and Stardrives. They would use twice the power to get twice the thrust for twice the price (at least) in exchange to being "volatile" while in operation. (Normal power could be used for normal thrust, but the system would still be "volatile" due to design compromises.) A "Compact" drive would also be more difficult to repair or maintain due to reduced access space. This would be in addition to any Afterburner or Super-Stardrive options, which could be applied to either normal or double power mode.

Dalton “who loves more system options” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #813
Krasudreal

I am sorry to say, but the downloads don't seem to be currently working.
Krasudreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #814
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasudreal View Post
I am sorry to say, but the downloads don't seem to be currently working.
I got home from work and the backup battery for my server was sounding an alarm, probably because the battery is dead. I'm gonna eat dinner and then see about getting the server back up.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #815
Krasudreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I got home from work and the backup battery for my server was sounding an alarm, probably because the battery is dead. I'm gonna eat dinner and then see about getting the server back up.
Downloads are now working as it should, but it seems that I am having consistent problems with certain areas of the sheet, including the SM in the design table.
It is giving me Error:502 on that cell, and on nearly of all cells of the unofficial ships
It is also giving me Error:504 on nearly of all cells of the official ships.

I have tried using the LibreOffice and the Microsoft Office Excel, nothing seems to work, I have habilitated macros, of course, and I don't know how all of this would even work without them. Since I have habilitated them every time.

It asks me to update links in the files, but either way, it doesn't seem to make a difference, especially because it seems like it Fails to update the links.

If you could provide me with some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Krasudreal; 02-14-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #816
loofou

Quote:
It is giving me Error:502 on that cell, and on nearly of all cells of the unofficial ships
It is also giving me Error:504 on nearly of all cells of the official ships.
Yup, same problem. Basically every single macro button throws errors. As far as I've seen most of the sheet still works, but some parts of the sheet simply say #Value! all over. Output Sheet doesn't work, neither do the (Un-)Official Ships sheets.

My main guess would be that the 2007 macros simply are not compatible with Excel 2016, which I use. Even the non-macro version has a lot of issues.
loofou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #817
ericbsmith

Quote:
I have tried using the LibreOffice and the Microsoft Office Excel, nothing seems to work, I have habilitated macros, of course, and I don't know how all of this would even work without them. Since I have habilitated them every time.
LiberOffice (or any other version of OpenOffice) isn't going to work on the Excel version of the sheet. If it were as easy as opening the file and habilitating the Macros I'd have provided updates to the OpenOffice version a while ago. There are significant differences in how the Macros are handled, and even differences in how some cell formulas work, which require a lot of work fixing for a conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loofou View Post
My main guess would be that the 2007 macros simply are not compatible with Excel 2016, which I use. Even the non-macro version has a lot of issues.
Have you tried both excel versions in Excel 2016?

I don't have access to Excel 2016. Only thing I can request is that you open the file, save it, and then zip and e-mail me a copy. I should be able to open it without recalculating, which may allow me to suss out why it's giving these errors. May.

I'm also going to post a 7zip archive of older Releases Candidate versions of the sheet. I'm curious if you two have any luck with any of the RCs.

http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/OlderSpaceships.7z.001 (8MB, download both archives)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/OlderSpaceships.7z.002 (8MB)
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-18-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #818
Krasudreal

I couldn't extract the 002, no matter what I tried. Now, about what I managed to extract...

Well, the release candidate 16 didn't go much far either. Still same problems, with an addendum, however. the Error:502 and Error:504 has been replaced with #Value!

The others aren't looking very hot either, I got run-time error 1004 on the 15, 14. 12, 11 didn't have run-time error, but the problems are back...

10 still has the #Value! error, but I can now set the SM on the ship on the design table.

I stopped there for the time being, because I am a lazy person.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #819
ericbsmith

Quote:
I couldn't extract the 002, no matter what I tried. Now, about what I managed to extract...
With 7Zip you just need to download both files into the same directory and open 001, it will automatically extract any files that are in archive 002.

Quote:
I stopped there for the time being, because I am a lazy person.
The only thing I can think of is windows regional settings; do you have your region set up where windows uses a comma as the decimal symbol? That can cause all sorts of problems.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #820
loofou

Alright, let's start off with the resaved latest one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vccsjtfno...Copy.xlsm?dl=0

Then about the old ones. Like Krasudreal already said: Every sheet after RC9 had about the same problems as the latest one. I had some luck with some of the older ones, except a lot of the sheets have the #Value! problem. I encountered the least problems with sheet 7a. No errors popping up, most cells seemed to work fine. Loaded ships still produce broken Outputs, though, and if I try to design my own, the data validation popups for the systems are empty. If I correctly type the name of a system in, it works, though.

Still not something I would call usable, but we are getting there.

About the , and . issue: My windows is set up to UK settings, but my keyboard uses the German layout. I had problems in the past with the decimal points being commas, so I set my region to UK with decimal dots. It might still be related, though, I'll investigate further on another machine with complete native UK settings for everything and see if this changes anything.
loofou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet