Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #11
dataweaver

Default Re: Designing a genius

Versatile [5]: +1 to rolls requiring imagination or creativity.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:18 AM   #12
jason taylor

Geniuses are sometimes stereotyped as having colorful eccentricities. Partly because they are remembered for it, and in some cases it is a form of advertising. That is not needed, a number of the geniuses I am fond of(mostly literary ones) were decent chaps I would be happy to meet at a Starbucks. Longfellow I would love to meet. Pushkin now he was a mite batty.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:24 AM   #13
Gef

How about Secret (Infinity Agent)?
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:03 AM   #14
Drop Bear

the Quirk that also shows up as a -1pt disadvantage "Imaginative", Inquisitive also a good quirk.

I've got a Neolithic (mid TL/0) Versatile, Gadageteer with Manual Dexterity (L2), his IQ is only 13, those 11 points make him about as good as someone with IQ14 for his tribal role as a broad based Craftsman. He has Imaginative as a disadvantage, but also has Inquisitive as a Quirk. the GM is trying to work out how to charge me for raising my Bands TL up to Late TL/0 when most of out Nation or even Cheidom are still in the first part of mid TL/0 with a bit of Early TL/0 Remnant tech still in common use.

Lots of folks credited with "Building Tomorrow" are described as Imaginative & Inquisitive. Intuitive Mathematician is good so they can look at the equation and "Know" it isn't right without testing the Proof, or spotting the false parts of the Proof. don't know how Perk system works but perhaps something like "Funny XXXXX Math" (normally Russian) to represent training in an outside prospective.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:03 AM   #15
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
There is good reason not to suspect her of that; she came from one of a category of worlds that Infinity has not yet learned to access.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #16
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There is good reason not to suspect her of that; she came from one of a category of worlds that Infinity has not yet learned to access.
Maybe through projectors and conveyors but Infinity has a whole division of the I-Cops devoted to natural gates. Also of course there are Jumpers and shiftrealms and parachronzoids and so on and so on.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #17
whswhs

Have you thought about Weird Science skill, to give her an "outside the box" capability? Or perhaps about the Tesseraxis weird science discipline from The Weird?

I would also suggest that you look at giving her a point or two of Philosophy, specialized perhaps in logical positivism or in Platonism (I don't know her intellectual biography all that well). Her argument that conservation laws identify ways in which physical laws are invariant seems to fall into the philosophical domain.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #18
Refplace

Higher Purpose (Discover the way things work) or some such could be good for scientist types who are "predestined" to come up with revolutionary new theories.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Higher Purpose (Discover the way things work) or some such could be good for scientist types who are "predestined" to come up with revolutionary new theories.
Or even take outright Destiny, perhaps? (Basic Set version, not MH. Though MH would work too.)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #20
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
If that's the case, she is an extremely good actress, and Infinity is playing a much deeper game than we've seen them do so far. Which is of course possible.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, infinite cabal, mathematics