Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Turtle

Default Floating Nose question

My wife won her 10th level off of a floating nose. My question is, could I have been the one to bribe it and make it go away so she didn't win by gaining 10th level? I would say yes, since that is the spirit of the game but the wording on the card says "YOU" and I'd take that to mean the person fighting it.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Floating Nose question

That's not in the spirit of the game, to be honest, and only the person fighting against the Floating Nose (not even his helper) can make that decision. That doesn't mean the helper can't contribute, it just means that the helper can't make the decision.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
That doesn't mean the helper can't contribute, it just means that the helper can't make the decision.
By this, do you mean that the helper could provide the item, IF the decision to bribe was made by the main combatant?

So, the general ruling is that the item could come from either player involved in the combat, but not from a player not in the combat?
[since that would count as a trade during combat]
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Turtle

After mulling it over, since the wording on the card is "you" I have to agree that only the person fighting it or maybe the helper, if they agree, can bribe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
That's not in the spirit of the game, to be honest
That's funny, the entire rules have an air about them that tells you to try and screw other players over. Under character creation it says, and I quote, "If you have any doubt about whether you should play a card, you could read below, or you could just charge ahead and do it."

While I may have decided the card wording on the floating nose doesn't allow another besides the combatant to bribe it I heartily disagree that denying someone of their win is not in the spirit of the game when the rules tell you at every turn to do nasty things to the other players.

There's a very thin case when trying to tell someone that the spirit of munckin ISN'T to backstab and harass the other players.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
After mulling it over, since the wording on the card is "you" I have to agree that only the person fighting it or maybe the helper, if they agree, can bribe it.

That's funny, the entire rules have an air about them that tells you to try and screw other players over. Under character creation it says, and I quote, "If you have any doubt about whether you should play a card, you could read below, or you could just charge ahead and do it."

While I may have decided the card wording on the floating nose doesn't allow another besides the combatant to bribe it I heartily disagree that denying someone of their win is not in the spirit of the game when the rules tell you at every turn to do nasty things to the other players.

There's a very thin case when trying to tell someone that the spirit of munckin ISN'T to backstab and harass the other players.
Well if you want to stop them from winning play the friendship potion on them or if you have good bad & munchkin play the peace pipe on them or any other similar card that makes monsters vanish. Or if you like play a wandering monster and a mate card. Those are in the spirit of the game while allowing you to backstab and frustrate other players. A card like floating nose which clearly says "YOU" means it is the intent that others may not jump in and bribe it.

I think there is a point where you can take things too far. just my opinion
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating nose, munchkin