Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #71
Gigermann

Default Re: Beats Suck(?)

I'm surprised I haven't read anyone take this angle:

A Beat, really, is a "shove" attack on the opponent's weapon/shield/whatever. Seems logical to me that one could just as easily set up for a Beat by doing just that—attacking it—in which case, it would take effect if the opponent failed to successfully defend (and possibly, even if he does Parry). Assuming you don't care whether the weapon ends up broken—normal attack—or that the opponent drops it—Disarm—as a result of your attack, you would effectively be doing "Knockback" on the weapon, taking it out of position.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #72
GWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
One thing that occurs:

If you do a successful beat, and your margin of victory is 5+ or 10+ depending on how hard you want it to be, the thing receiving the Beat becomes Unready from that point on.

Or make it by 5+ and it's unready, make it be 10+ and you get a disarm if it's gripped.
Where can I find this rule?!
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #73
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Where can I find this rule?!
We made it up in this thread I think?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #74
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
We made it up in this thread I think?
But given the thread is nine years old, unlikely anyone remembers for sure?
Old 11-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #75
GWJ

Uhm, I see. Too bad for me, my players almost never want to play with not-official rules from books :/
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #76
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Uhm, I see. Too bad for me, my players almost never want to play with not-official rules from books :/
You could maybe make something similar as a a technique using the rules in Martial arts. After all a disarm attempt has some similar rules; where the weapon of your opponent is either disarmed or at least still unready (unless the target made their roll by 3 or more) (see p.400 in Basic).

But I never did mess around with the technique rules.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #77
Plane

What if we just counted all Disarm attempts as Beats too? Like merge them into one technique? If either are underwhelming, perhaps combining them would make them more impressive?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:22 AM   #78
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
What if we just counted all Disarm attempts as Beats too? Like merge them into one technique? If either are underwhelming, perhaps combining them would make them more impressive?
I think they're too different. Mechanically, beats are specifically ST-based (which often accompanies heavy weapons), while disarms could be both ST- and DX-based, and fencing weapons (which really don't require much strength) give disarms an advantage. If you combine those mechanics, either fencing weapons become less effective at disarming, or somehow become more effective at knocking foe's weapon away despite being rather light.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #79
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I think they're too different. Mechanically, beats are specifically ST-based (which often accompanies heavy weapons), while disarms could be both ST- and DX-based, and fencing weapons (which really don't require much strength) give disarms an advantage. If you combine those mechanics, either fencing weapons become less effective at disarming, or somehow become more effective at knocking foe's weapon away despite being rather light.
That problem seems moreso that you should be limited in how much ST you can use to beat if you're using a flimsy weapon to beat with, because we'd still face that problem if a fencer used a Beat as a followup to being parried or parrying.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #80
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
That problem seems moreso that you should be limited in how much ST you can use to beat if you're using a flimsy weapon to beat with, because we'd still face that problem if a fencer used a Beat as a followup to being parried or parrying.
Well, there's the general (and generous) limit of 3 × minST for damage purposes. I'd extend that to Beats.

Tags
house rules, martial arts