Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
tbone

Default Cost of Animal Companion (Companion 2)

Companion 2 offers a selection of Animal Companions for 4 points each.

Dipping into GURPS for the mechanics, I assume this is simply Ally (25%, Constantly), which works out to 1 pt. x 4 = 4 pts.

My question is simply: Does that sound right?

Side observation: It would appear that the designs aren't fixed on meeting an exact 62-point character point cost (from 25% of DFRPG's 250-pt. default).

For the cat, for example, I figure:

[5] for basic stats (ST 4; DX 14; IQ 5; HT 10; Will 11; Per 12; Basic Speed 6.00; Basic Move 10)
[41] for advantages (Catfall; Combat Reflexes; Flexibility; Night Vision 5; Sharp Claws; Sharp Teeth)
[-35] for disadvantage (Quadruped)
[7] for skills (Brawling-16; Jumping-14; Stealth-14)
[16] for extra skills

That's only [34] total, so it's an underpowered ally for the cost to the PC - though I still like all the animal builds and Animal Companion just fine!

(But if I seem to be terribly miscalculating the cat's cost, let me know.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Cost of Animal Companion (Companion 2)

Yes, the companions aren't optimized. They're basically "the cheapest level of Ally, with enough 4-point chunks of discretionary skill points to make them both nominally positive and interesting."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
tbone

Thanks. Sounds good.

(And I suppose that if a GURPS-savvy player really wants the ally to hit those full 62 points, and the GM is fine with that, it's an easy enough mod. Extra IQ, unusual ST, or dozens more points in skills might be pushing the animal concept, but a fun big-ticket addition like Combat Reflexes (if not already there), Luck, or an Extra Life (cat!), with a few skill or perk points to round things out, seems reasonable to me.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 07-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Just remember that these are not meant to be the druid or scout's faithful warrior beast, spellcasters' familiars, or anything similar. Maybe we'll also add those someday. These are supposed to be essentially ordinary members of mundane animal species, with enough IQ and training not to get lost or get themselves killed – i.e., smart, 100% mundane pets.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Just remember that these are not meant to be the druid or scout's faithful warrior beast, spellcasters' familiars, or anything similar. Maybe we'll also add those someday. These are supposed to be essentially ordinary members of mundane animal species, with enough IQ and training not to get lost or get themselves killed – i.e., smart, 100% mundane pets.
Yep, and I like them for that. (In poking around at those point costs, I was comparing them to write-ups in Basic Set, DF: Allies, etc., and the Animal Companions' different status as "normal critters, if a bit clever" comes through clearly.)

So if a player did want to properly munchkin the full 62 pts, GM willing . . . I think there's not much choice in plausible physical and mental additions to a "real" animal, but that's why Luck and Extra Life came to mind: things like that could be viewed not as some superhuman (er, superanimal) abilities, but as "plot stuff". As in, a bit of "these are PCs, therefore plot protection" rubbing off on favored pets.

Idle musing. First things first: Gotta get some players to add these lovely pets to their PCs!

Old 07-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
Black Leviathan

If you wanted to give them a little more umph to get them up to 62 points I think that's Hoyle as long as you're not giving them death rays or anything outside of the setting.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
Anders

Quote:
i.e., smart, 100% mundane pets.
I have a cat, and he alternates between Dependent and Enemy.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

I have a cat, and he alternates between Dependent and Enemy.
But you still have to pay points for him. See how that works? Cats . . .
Old 07-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
If you wanted to give them a little more umph to get them up to 62 points I think that's Hoyle as long as you're not giving them death rays or anything outside of the setting.
That's my thought. But speaking of "the setting", I'll remind myself here that the setting (DFRPG) doesn't say the animals should or could be tricked out to 62 pts; the player isn't invited to worry about their point value, and that's fine with me. I'm just musing on the builds from a behind-the-scenes GURPS perspective that need not apply here.

Don't worry, no death rays in my pets! Not today, anyway. : )

Old 07-28-2020, 12:33 AM   #10
Black Leviathan

Quote:
But you still have to pay points for him. See how that works? Cats . . .
Yeah but I feel like having a cat is more like a quirk than an ally..
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote