Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #61
InexplicableVic

Default Re: [MA/HT] Innocuous Improvised Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The persona would be a fairly normal motorist or tourist, a middle-aged guy of the kind who has a multi-tool, duct tape, string, WD-40, notebook, pencil, disinfectant, aspirin, petroleum jelly, Ace bandages and a range of other mostly harmless things that make up the small version Personal Basics and the most basic of first-aid gear on him at all times.

A flashlight seems to fit with that. Not a 2-lb one, more like a 0.5-lb one.
I think the umbrella--particularly the "unbreakable umbrella" referenced above--causes the least amount of suspicion. You walk into a rest stop or office building with a flashlight in your hand, people will wonder why you have it. Nobody wonders why someone has an umbrella on their person, unless it's Arizona in the middle of a drought--but even then, it would just be peculiar, not "he's going to use that as a weapon."
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #62
AlexanderHowl

An umbrella can provide shade from the sun.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #63
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
I think the umbrella--particularly the "unbreakable umbrella" referenced above--causes the least amount of suspicion. You walk into a rest stop or office building with a flashlight in your hand, people will wonder why you have it. Nobody wonders why someone has an umbrella on their person, unless it's Arizona in the middle of a drought--but even then, it would just be peculiar, not "he's going to use that as a weapon."
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
An umbrella can provide shade from the sun.
Umbrellas are longer than most other bludgeons in the modern world and are therefore used with skills much fewer people who know how to fight in the real world have, Broadsword or Rapier. Far more people familiar with military combatives, police arrest techniques or realistic self-defence will have Axe/Mace, Knife, Shortsword and even Spear or Staff than will have Broadsword.

Also, most umbrellas, even if they are longer, which allows better leverage, are also fairly light for their length and their striking surfaces are fairly soft if you swing with them. So they are not any better as weapons than much shorter objects that are heftier and more solid.

It's true that flashlights that make genuinely good batons and maces are large and heavy enough to raise some eyebrows from casual witnesses and especially security personnel. Which is why the character won't simply use the most effective bludgeon Maglite he can find and I'm trying to keep the size and weight of his flashlight down to a more reasonable figure, something that the sort of people who are handy and perpetually prepared might actually carry on them.

Personally, when I see a motorist with a 200-300 gram (0.5-0.75-lb) flashlight in a jacket pocket or on their belts, I think: "I guess he likes to be prepared if he has an engine malfunction driving in the dark" (and also, I admit "that old guy reminds me of my grandfather").

Flashlights that are larger and heavier than they need to be to serve as an effective light might trigger caution and distrust, as they are obviously designed in part as bludgeoning weapons. But a lot of people still own old flashlights, which were a lot bigger than flashlights need to be today for good brightness and acceptable battery endurance, so as long as the size isn't too big, I'd accept them as simply the kind of annoying, but useful motorists who love it when other people have malfunctions, so they can demonstrate how very prepared they were for anything.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #64
awesomenessofme1

I have a collapsible umbrella that's under 2 feet collapsed, so it would qualify as a shortsword.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:18 AM   #65
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

Also, most umbrellas, even if they are longer, which allows better leverage, are also fairly light for their length and their striking surfaces are fairly soft if you swing with them. So they are not any better as weapons than much shorter objects that are heftier and more solid.
FWIW, some 19th-century self-defense manuals address the use of the umbrella defensively. The most convincing of them use it primarily as a thrusting weapon.

Gripping with both hands and thrusting into someone like a bayonet would be much more harmful than swinging it like a club.
And if you have the hooked handle umbrella, that can affect a pretty wicked "butt-stroke".

The hooked handle can also be used to, well, Hook.

TL/DR: While many taught umbrella defense as an alternative to a cane, it's more effective to think of it as a bayonet.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:07 AM   #66
Polydamas

Middle-aged people are also used to cars which broke down more often and needed more home maintenance than cars today, so more likely to carry tools, a flashlight, etc. Its like how we will be amusing our grandchildren by carefully limiting the volume of liquids we pack for flights, and putting them all in one clear plastic bag. "Grandpa, they don't care about that any more!"

I was just thinking that someone who looks like Rory Miller will have a harder time pulling off 'you wouldn't deprive an old man of his walking stick' than someone who looks lean and fit or middle-aged and paunchy.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 03-27-2020 at 05:16 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improvised weapons, martial arts