Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
JLV

Default TFT and The Lost Lands

Great news released today by both Steve Jackson Games and Frog God Games: FGG and SJG will be cooperating on producing at least one (and hopefully many more) Lost Lands adventures in the TFT format so that players can easily play in the Lost Lands using TFT.

This is fantastic news, not only because TFT is such a great system, but because Lost Lands is such a great setting. While initially, they are only speaking of a single adventure, the possibilities are endless. Will we ever see a TFT version of Rappan Athuk? Frankly, I'd say it's unlikely, but hey, if enough of us enjoy the smaller modules, it could well be the very first "megadungeon" ever commercially produced using TFT rules (Don't go down the well!)

For those of you who don't know the Lost Lands -- you're missing out; it's incredible, has literally dozens of products, some of them quite enormous, and all are produced with FGG's usual extremely high quality production standards. Well worth checking out if you like a detailed, brilliantly illustrated and mapped, and complex setting.

Currently, the World of Lost Lands Kickstarter is in its last two days, and the good news is that it is system agnostic, which means it's very useful to TFT players as-is as a well-written background. I'd like to encourage folks to back it if they are interested. At the very least, the Kickstarter page is worth a visit to see how it looks...
Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
malchidael

Default Re: TFT and The Lost Lands

This is awesome news - Crucible of Freya was the first (and one of only two) modules I bought for 3rd edition D&D.

I wasn't planning on joining this kickstarter, but I think this announcement changed my mind.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
larsdangly

That's really great news; FGG is a terrific company with a lot of fun setting materials. I would be surprised if they did what I'd like and adapted Rappan Athuk to TFT - it would just be too much work for the few thousand copies they'd sell. But they have a lot of really fun dungeon crawl style adventures and I have high hopes they'll work well with the new system. The only thing they've done that I'm wary of is The Blight - not because of the idea (which I love), but because it sounds like they did it as an adventure path (which I loath).
Old 04-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
JLV

In their latest update, they noted that nothing would be ready for this Kickstarter (which ends in about 48 hours, after all), but would have an announcement, perhaps as early as next week, on what was coming.

And I TOTALLY second your wish for Rappan Athuk in TFT stats!!! If they could sell a few thousand, I'd bet they'd do it too. But the odds are it would be more like a couple of hundred, so I sadly am forced to agree that it's pretty unlikely...

Still, if it looks like they could get over a thousand sales, I'm guessing there's SOME small chance of it happening! (The average game sells around 5000 units these days, RPGs included, unlike back in the 70's when they sold anywhere from 30,000 units (the average SPI non-subscription game) to 300K units (Squad Leader) -- it changes the market dynamics quite a bit!)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
That's really great news; FGG is a terrific company with a lot of fun setting materials. I would be surprised if they did what I'd like and adapted Rappan Athuk to TFT - it would just be too much work for the few thousand copies they'd sell. But they have a lot of really fun dungeon crawl style adventures and I have high hopes they'll work well with the new system. The only thing they've done that I'm wary of is The Blight - not because of the idea (which I love), but because it sounds like they did it as an adventure path (which I loath).
While Rappan Athuk would be awesome, I unhappily agree that would be an unlikely candidate for conversion. TBH, though, I'll be be happy just to get Tomb of Abysthor for TFT (one my favorite 'smaller' dungeons, relatively speaking).
Old 04-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
While Rappan Athuk would be awesome, I unhappily agree that would be an unlikely candidate for conversion. TBH, though, I'll be be happy just to get Tomb of Abysthor for TFT (one my favorite 'smaller' dungeons, relatively speaking).
Heck, they don't even need to re-write anything for me! All they need to do is publish a list of stats for all the characters and creatures in the books/adventures, and a revision of the magic items to fit TFT standards. One big volume, that covers the entire Lost Lands. The rest of the prose and illustrations are fine as is! (Oh. I suppose something might need to be done with room/dungeon maps at some point, though you could just overlay a hex pattern on them and call that done.)
Old 04-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
(Oh. I suppose something might need to be done with room/dungeon maps at some point, though you could just overlay a hex pattern on them and call that done.)
Heh, that's exactly why I recently purchased a set of sixteen 10x10 clear acrylic tiles w/ 1.5" hexes.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
larsdangly

I've done that for awhile; my system is to drop a digital image of a map into an image editor, place a see-through hex grid wire frame on top and then print. It is good enough for running a converted dungeon, but it isn't the same thing as making a hex-tile based dungeon from scratch. I'm not saying it is better or worse - but definitely different
Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 AM   #9
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I've done that for awhile; my system is to drop a digital image of a map into an image editor, place a see-through hex grid wire frame on top and then print. It is good enough for running a converted dungeon, but it isn't the same thing as making a hex-tile based dungeon from scratch. I'm not saying it is better or worse - but definitely different
That makes perfect sense to me. The ideal answer would be that they DO redo the maps for TFT; but that might really be a bridge too far, so I don't really think I expect it. Of course, they could hire one of the many very good cartographers out there (Dyson definitely isn't the only one) to redo them all for them while they work on the text. I'd pay extra for that!
Old 04-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
larsdangly

My current between-play-session project is cooking up my own megadungeon that actually starts as an 'offiicial style' hex tile map rather than drawing a normal map and hexifying it. It's pretty fun, as your drafting is a direct map of things that happen in play in a rules-bound way during play, as the players march their way through the MH tiles on the table
Closed Thread

Tags
frog god, lost lands, tft