Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #81
TGLS

Default Re: Rules you ignore/alter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
I also like Kromm's suggested alternative cost for Affliction, which is 7 points for the base ability plus 3 for each level, including the first.
So a Sonic Stunner (P137) drops to 95 points? That seems a bit more fair. I wonder if replacing the level with Hard to Resist (+100%) would be unfair.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #82
Edges

I see some have posted alternate ST-based damage rules.

I have used Thrust = ST/12 and Swing = ST/8. It has worked out well. I've had to have some extra rules for how to turn that into dice and how to use adds.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #83
WhiteLily

I don't like the idea that the person pinning another is still allowed to defend other attacks completely unimpaired. If you want to dodge, you need to abandon the pin.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #84
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
I don't like the idea that the person pinning another is still allowed to defend other attacks completely unimpaired. If you want to dodge, you need to abandon the pin.
IDHMBWM, but don't you get varying penalties to your Dodge if your posture is anything but upright?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #85
Plane

Quote:
IDHMBWM, but don't you get varying penalties to your Dodge if your posture is anything but upright?
I think the question is whether it's actually mandatory to drop to lower postures to pin someone.

TG incentivizes it by giving bonuses to rolls when you voluntarily drop your posture but I can't remember if there otherwise was a mandate under basic rules in doing so.

You can punch/grapple someone lying down while "standing" for example, I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I'm pretty sure regular DR has no signature to begin with.
2011: Monster Hunters 1 pg 43 adds No Sig to DR
2016: Protection and Warning Spells pg 6/14 adds Visible to DR

So initially it was like it was auto-visible but then later it was like it was auto-invisible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
DR does not automatically have No Signature. It is pretty obvious when you shoot people dead on and do not go down
You don't necessarily know if that's DR, HP, or someone filled your gun with rubber bullets.

Quote:
or when you punch them and end up breaking your hand.
only on non-flexible DR 3+, and could always be Crushing Attack w/ Aura.

Quote:
It is the same way with Injury Tolerance, it is pretty obvious when someone is Diffuse because the bullet or punch passes through them.
Sometimes bullets just overpenetrate normal people anyway though... and it might be hard at a distance to see if a bullet made it through or not. Do you look at a wall behind them for bullet marks?

Last edited by Plane; 08-05-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #86
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
2011: Monster Hunters 1 pg 43 adds No Sig to DR
2016: Protection and Warning Spells pg 6/14 adds Visible to DR

So initially it was like it was auto-visible but then later it was like it was auto-invisible...
Monster Hunters explicitly has a different set of genre assumptions that means DR either requires No Signature or is obvious. But that's not the default assumption. Generally, DR can be either visible or invisible, and either one is only worth points if the GM decides.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #87
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think that depends on Genre... it certainly does for me.
I've never liked that ruling, DR is very much differently priced based on if people know about it. If a certain genre wants certain modifiers on a certain trait, then that's just a global way to build the trait. In a MA-focused campaign I did, I ruled as the GM that DR was always taken with Tough Skin, meaning everyone knew that and knew that it was going to be that cheap for both players and opponents.

Because I dislike that rule, I ignore it :L DR's existence is obvious except with Tough Skin (A Per + DRlvl roll will notice it) and actually hitting them will tell you how much the DR actually stopped. I've only allowed Low Signature N/A on things like DR that only works against attacks it fully stops such as my build for Deflect Missiles.

Quote:
Quick, a change of topic: I also like Kromm's suggested alternative cost for Affliction, which is 7 points for the base ability plus 3 for each level, including the first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
So a Sonic Stunner (P137) drops to 95 points? That seems a bit more fair. I wonder if replacing the level with Hard to Resist (+100%) would be unfair.
I've tried many similar ideas. My current thought is Hard to Resist is +50%/lvl. It's the same as buying Will up for Malediction, so I kept the pricing the same for non-maledictions so they don't seem unfairly punished. There's even a neat combo with Multiplicative Multipliers
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:57 AM   #88
CeeDub

For Martial Arts, I make the Style Familiarity Perk optional, but I recommend it. I also waive any Savoir-Faire (Dojo) skill requirements, because from my limited experience, it takes a lot less than 200 hours to pick that up.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:54 AM   #89
Celjabba

Quote:
For Martial Arts, I make the Style Familiarity Perk optional, but I recommend it. I also waive any Savoir-Faire (Dojo) skill requirements, because from my limited experience, it takes a lot less than 200 hours to pick that up.
I don't believe if it is actually a rule, but I definitively never require 200h for getting a cp in a skill.

If a character is described as training for 200h in an already know skill, I may give him 1 cp in that skill, but this is not a requirement for getting a cp in a skill, just one ways among many.

Also, in my games, a few hours of basic training is enough to get the first cp in most non-academics skills (especially E or A. H/VH and academics get dabbler perks instead).
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #90
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Monster Hunters explicitly has a different set of genre assumptions that means DR either requires No Signature or is obvious.
But that's not the default assumption.
Generally, DR can be either visible or invisible, and either one is only worth points if the GM decides.
DR seems obvious for thick-skinned creatures like bears/crocodiles or if there's a turtle shell, I actually can't think of where I've seen a "Visible" limitation for DR except for the force field spells in PAWS.

At first I thought "what if No Signature was built into Force Field?" for those, but Force Field actually costs less than No Sig so that can't be the case...

Assuming that force fields are invisible by default (and 'translucent' if Visible -10%) is kinda strange to me, I always assumed they'd be somewhat visible.

Maybe it's situation-dependent? Like perhaps by default force fields are "invisible at rest, visible when attacks hit them" but if you take "visible" then they're "visible at rest" too?

A similar contrast could exist for Innate Attacks too:
1) capacity to attack is invisible
2) attacks are visible

That way you could take EITHER modifier:
a) "no signature" to make attacks invisible too
b) "visible" to make CAPACITY to attack visible too

That's sort of how TK works: inherently your CAPACITY to attack is invisible (an invisible hand) but if you take Visible then you have a visible hand.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, fixed, house rules, rules