Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
AlwaysAFK

Default Expansions

This question is most likely more opinion-based, and is referring to the expansions for the original Munchkin game (like Clerical Errors).

Are all of the expansions meant to be used together? For example, I have #2 and #3, if I got #4 and #5, would the original intent of the expansions be to use them all together? Or rather 1 at a time, a few at a time, etc. I noticed that at least in #3, Clerical Errors, there were themes that carried over from #2, such as an additional orc race card and a monster that reacts differently to orcs than to others (Bad Ass). Also, using so many expansions together at once would be a lot of cards.
AlwaysAFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Expansions

It's up to the group. At this point, there are nine (soon to be 10, with Something Fishy) and you are correct, that is a LOT of cards to keep track of. If your group would rather use a subset of the expansions, that's totally reasonable.

I would suggest making sure that you have the same number of Class and Race cards, where applicable, so you don't end up with a bunch of Elves and only one or two Orcs, for instance. You may want to pull those cards out of an expansion that you aren't otherwise using, just in case. Or, conversion, you could ditch the small numbers and only use ones with a full set of Class/Race cards.

In the end, though, we don't have a set "this is the way you MUST play" when you start bringing in expansions. Use what you like and come to an agreement with your group about how many of each you want to use, then shuffle and start playing.

You think this is weird, wait until you start adding other full sets...

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
AlwaysAFK

Good to know.
AlwaysAFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
Really Impressive Title

TIP -- Each core (numeral) expansion keeps the game balanced in numeral order.

Example: Unnatural Axe introduced 4 Orc race cards and supplements each previous race of the base deck with 1 additional card. So now there are 4 cards for each race. This trend can be followed without fail across each subsequent core expansion regarding everything from Class to Steeds and so forth.

So if you prefer to keep things light while keeping the game balanced, I would subtract core expansions in reverse order. Cut Jurassic Snark, then Half-Horse and so on.

(Otherwise you'll need to keep some spreadsheets handy... Which is pretty fun, too ��)

Last edited by Really Impressive Title; 08-06-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Really Impressive Title is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Nobunga

For my group, I keep only Munchkin 2 and 3 with the original set.

Munchkin 4, 5, and 8 are their own pile which I dubbed "Munchkin Steeds". Not only does this make customizing mash-up games easier, but it allows adding steeds to other Munchkin games, something my group really enjoys.

Munchkin 6, 7, and 9 I keep separate since they add very specific game elements that are their own draw to be added to other games as requested. (Dungeons, Mash-up "Lubricant", and Dinosaurs)

I have a feeling Something Fishy is going to be very nautical based possibly adding Sharks and maybe even the Pirate Class to Fantasy, which will warrant its own separation like the Dinosaurs of 9.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote