Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Dark_0n3

Default Big items rule clarification

The situation came up on our last game: One of the players was hit by Generosity curse, so he gave me one of the big items he had in play. I already had one big item of mine and didn't have Dwarf card. So I was in an illegal situation and was forced "to fix" it immediately. Since it was not my turn, I couldn't sell it, and as far as I remember, the rules says that I need to give it to the lowest level character who can use it. What is the meaning of the word "use" here? He actually must be able to wear it or it is enough if can carry it?
Dark_0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Big items rule clarification

"Use" means "use." If he cannot gain the benefits from the Item, whether because it's barred to his Class or Race or for some other reason, then you cannot force him to take it.

BTW, you can ALWAYS see if someone wants to take your excess Big items. You're only forced to hand it off if you can't ditch it some other way.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Dark_0n3

Sorry, but it's still not entirely clear to me. Lets say for example I play with 2 players: lvl1 and lvl 9 characters. Both have 1 big item in play and both aren't dwarfs. Does that mean they cannot use it and I must discard my big item?
And if I understand correctly if both of them can use it and want it (why wouldn't they?) I can give it to ether one of them?
So they word "lowest" stands in card only to show that if there is a player who can use it, I have to give it away (cannot discard)?
The problem I see here: even if players cannot use an item this instant moment: lets say it's usable only by Human and he is an orc: he can just discard his race and be able to use it: so should I give him the item or not?

Hopefully I formalized it clearly enough, cause I'm really confused about this situation.

Last edited by Dark_0n3; 01-15-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Dark_0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Sigma88

I believe the rules say to "give it to the lowest level player(s) who can carry them". I don't think it says use anywhere unless you have an older version. I just read the 2011 november rules and they say "carry" not "use". So any low level player who can carry them are good candidates.
Sigma88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
d-vils_wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_0n3 View Post
The situation came up on our last game: One of the players was hit by Generosity curse, so he gave me one of the big items he had in play. I already had one big item of mine and didn't have Dwarf card. So I was in an illegal situation and was forced "to fix" it immediately. Since it was not my turn, I couldn't sell it, and as far as I remember, the rules says that I need to give it to the lowest level character who can use it. What is the meaning of the word "use" here? He actually must be able to wear it or it is enough if can carry it?
If you had no way of having more than your current limit of Big items, whether carried or equipped, he could not give it to you.
I"m not sure, but it sounds like you're referring to Charity in the second part of the question. You only give Charity at the end of your turn, meaning you end your turn with 5 or fewer cards, but you can exceed that limit when it isn't your turn.
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma88 View Post
I believe the rules say to "give it to the lowest level player(s) who can carry them". I don't think it says use anywhere unless you have an older version. I just read the 2011 november rules and they say "carry" not "use". So any low level player who can carry them are good candidates.
This is why I tell people always to look at the cards and rules -- so they don't make assumptions like the one I made earlier. I should have taken the time to look. Thanks for actually checking and posting the correction.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
emillang1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_0n3 View Post
Sorry, but it's still not entirely clear to me. Lets say for example I play with 2 players: lvl1 and lvl 9 characters. Both have 1 big item in play and both aren't dwarfs. Does that mean they cannot use it and I must discard my big item?
And if I understand correctly if both of them can use it and want it (why wouldn't they?) I can give it to ether one of them?
So they word "lowest" stands in card only to show that if there is a player who can use it, I have to give it away (cannot discard)?
The problem I see here: even if players cannot use an item this instant moment: lets say it's usable only by Human and he is an orc: he can just discard his race and be able to use it: so should I give him the item or not?.
I actually was going to post this earlier, but decided not to since I couldn't remember what Curse! Generosity did exactly. I've read it since then, and THEY can legally give any item to you, even if you can't carry an extra Big item.

But, D-Vils is right - there's been a bit of a confusion between USED and CARRIED items somewhere. All Items Used are Carried, but not all Items which are Carried are Used.

The rules say "If something lets you have more than one Big item (for instance, the Dwarf race) and you lose that ability, you must either correct the problem immediately or get rid of all but one Big item. If it’s your turn and you’re not in combat, you can sell the excess Big items (as long as you have at least 1,000 Gold Pieces of Items to sell). Otherwise, you must give them to the lowest-Level player(s) who can carry them! If any Big items are still left over, discard them."

Any Item you have in play on the table is Carried. Used Items are Items currently providing you with an ability/bonus, and are kept upright (if you play Magic, think of them as Untapped); Items which aren't actively providing you an ability/bonus, like a Potion or something you can Use because you don't fit the requirements (free hands, racial requirements, etc.), are just Carried and are kept sideways (Tapped, if you play Magic). You're only allowed to CARRY one Big Item, regardless of if you're Using it or not (except for Steeds, since they can carry themselves). The Game only cares about whether you can Carry an Item or not; whether a player can USE an item is a concern of that player alone.

So, in your example, you'd have to straight-out discard the items, since you have no applicable players who you can give the Big Item. At the same time, if there WERE 2 or more players who were able to Carry the Big Item, it would automatically go to the player with the lowest Level; and if there were 2 or more players applicable to receive the Big Item, AND had the same level, YOU decide who gets Big Item of those players.

Last edited by emillang1000; 01-15-2012 at 08:00 PM.
emillang1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Kordalix

In the situation described, there is necessarily at least one munchkin to which you can give the excess Big item: the one who gave it to you. Since he had it in play, that means he could legally carry it.
Kordalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
blahquabats

(unless of course it had been Cheat!ed by the original player.)
blahquabats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Kordalix

Do you have to get rid of the excess Big item as soon as you get it? Or do you wait until the cursed player has been generous with everybody?
Kordalix is offline   Reply With Quote