Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Mgellis

Default Invention and Engineer questions

A couple of quick questions about how you handle certain tasks...

The invention rules are, if I understand them correctly, for coming up with new inventions. For example, flexible flat-screen televisions (which do not exist yet, but are supposed to appear around 2015). If a character wanted to be the guy who invents it in 2010 and get the patent, etc., it would make sense to use the invention rules.

But what about developing new versions of existing technology? For example, the guy who designs a new ship for a shipping company. That's going to be well over the $1,000,000 boundary, making it an "Amazing" invention, but it's probably not very amazing. It's just a variation on a design that's been around for decades.

How should something like this be handled? An unmodified (or slightly modified for difficulty) Engineer roll? An invention roll, but dropping the Complexity for concept, prototype, etc., the way one would do if one was designing something from a lower TL?

And what about minor tweaks to an existing design? Taking an existing engine and squeezing a little more efficiency out of it, for example. Is that just an unmodified Engineer roll? (Obviously, the more you squeeze out of the engine, the more likely it is you would at least need modifiers for difficulty.)

Any ideas? Is this actually handled in any of the books and I just missed it somehow? Thanks.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Invention and Engineer questions

Those aren't really inventions. You wouldn't use the invention rules for them anymore than you'd use them when an architect designs a house. If someone's building a ship at the existing TL, using all known, established technologies, then that's just an Engineer (Ships) roll. Nothing more. From the skill text: "A successful roll lets you design a new system".

Now, if the ship was going to have a level of, say, hydrodynamic streamlining, that no other ship to date has ever had, then yes, I'd say use the invention rules -- though using the effective retail cost of adding the streamlining, not that of the whole ship.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote