Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #11
Not

Default Re: Fast Draw (Arrow) and Atlatl

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
With Heroic Atlatler you can make those "immediate ready and fire" rolls same as an archer.

Or just put those points into Spear Thrower and take the -10 to skill to ready and fire in one action.
GURPS is big on ors and I like it.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
GURPS is big on ors and I like it.
Note that "Or" comes from GURPS Martial Arts... and it's only -6 not -10.

Fast Shooting with bows, condensed from Martial Arts pg 119:

This requires an Attack or All-Out Attack (Determined) Maneuver (a Heroic Archer may instead choose Move and Attack_ and calls for two Bow rolls at -6. Heroic Archer or Weapon Master (Bow) halve this, having both reduces the penalty to -1. All-Out Attack (Determined) adds +1 to both rolls. Failure on the first roll means you take the whole turn readying an arrow, and may fire later with no penalty. A critical failure means you drop your bow. Failure on the second means you missed. ;)

Fast Draw (Arrow) is still needed to ready the arrow as a free action.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
Juliansl

Yeah if I could pick and choose from GURPS books I'd just pick up a machine gun. I prefer sticking to Dungeon Fantasy.
Juliansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliansl View Post
Yeah if I could pick and choose from GURPS books I'd just pick up a machine gun. I prefer sticking to Dungeon Fantasy.
I would actually greatly prefer deleting fast draw and just saying you can spend an attack to take a ready action (including drawing a weapon).
Old 12-11-2018, 12:27 AM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would actually greatly prefer deleting fast draw and just saying you can spend an attack to take a ready action (including drawing a weapon).
That's what I do. Aim Evaluate, and Ready are all "Attack/Concentrate swappable". They all require rolls however.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's what I do. Aim Evaluate, and Ready are all "Attack/Concentrate swappable". They all require rolls however.
Nah, more rolls is bad.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Nah, more rolls is bad.
I used to believe that until I started getting the snark-mail from people who disliked how I'd reduced the amount of dice-rolling in the DFRPG. Apparently, a good number of gamers equate "more rolls" with "greater player agency" or simply "fun." Different strokes, I guess.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I used to believe that until I started getting the snark-mail from people who disliked how I'd reduced the amount of dice-rolling in the DFRPG. Apparently, a good number of gamers equate "more rolls" with "greater player agency" or simply "fun." Different strokes, I guess.
They're probably DF* players. Losing is FUN after all...

In all seriousness, it's also something for the Player to find 'empowering'. They built a Character who is good at X, never ever rolling X means they never get to be good at what they do, or at best they are as good as everyone else. Even the PCs that didn't bother investing in being good at X.

X in this case being Fast Draw. But it could be anything else. Like someone who takes a few Perks to turn specific Ready Maneuvers into Free Actions. Now everyone can perform a Ready and Attack? It's takes away some of their shine.

Personally I like the fact that with rolls come occasional failures. A bit of random set back to overcome that isn't deliberately driven by the GM.

* Dwarf Fortress that is.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #19
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Don't listen to the haters. Fewer rolls is generally better as it makes play go faster, so you can get to the rolls that matter more often.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #20
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Don't listen to the haters. Fewer rolls is generally better as it makes play go faster, so you can get to the rolls that matter more often.
QFT. I'm all for streamlining and keeping things moving. Nobody wants to see a movie where everything is in "Bullet Time."
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote