Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2018, 11:55 PM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
How would you price a character with "circuit breakers" which have to be reset after an electrical overload? :)
Low TL? ^_^
Old 08-18-2018, 04:24 AM   #12
Bruno

Oddly, the first thing i think of is Nocturnal, being the disadvantage that "turns you off" under external circumstances and "turns you on" again under external circumstances. Unfortunately it's very specific in its current form.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Oddly, the first thing i think of is Nocturnal, being the disadvantage that "turns you off" under external circumstances and "turns you on" again under external circumstances. Unfortunately it's very specific in its current form.
Also very dubiously priced.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Also very dubiously priced.
That also.

It would be interesting to rebuild it based on the variation on Chronic Pain Christopher proposed, where he back-calcualted how to apply any Affliction rather than merely pain - Coma being probably the right choice.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #15
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
How would you price a character with "circuit breakers" which have to be reset after an electrical overload? :)
I think it's an enhancement on Electrical. An overload paralyses you, knocks you out, or whatever, if you fail a HT roll. You need to be reset by someone else, and the enhancement is bigger if they need to be skilled. Does that make sense?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

It could be a form of easy to repair in that it requires another person to do so. But it can be performed by someone without more than default skill.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=148839
Old 08-19-2018, 05:48 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
That also.

It would be interesting to rebuild it based on the variation on Chronic Pain Christopher proposed, where he back-calcualted how to apply any Affliction rather than merely pain - Coma being probably the right choice.
Where is this proposed? This sounds very interesting.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #18
onetrikpony

Please permit me to resurrect this thread...

Maybe I'm just being obtuse but I can't figure out what Surge effects are, or do, in terms of dice/turns/actions/HT/HP to electrical characters, (bots, borgs etc.)

1), If you have the Electrical Disadvantage and are hit by a Surge effect what are the 'damage modifiers' ?

2), what happens when you get hit with a surge attack that is NOT a critical hit and inflicts no HP Damage ?

3), what are the "Surge Damage Modifiers" that cause additional harm to electrical characters ?

4), If "Electrical" can be a temporary disadvantage limitation to an advantage how long is the limited advantage knocked out ?

Surge damage modifiers are never precisely defined. The time length of effect (1turn to infinity) is not explicitly stated.

The effects of electrical attacks specific to Electrical characters beyond the effects on normal characters are not defined. (AFAICS)

For reference;

B105 - Surge; the attack can disable any thing with the electrical disadvantage.

B134 - Electrical; ...makes you susceptible to attacks that only affect electrical systems... [abilities] that produce Surge effects... a *critical hit* from an electrical attack causes you to "short circuit" rendering you unconscious.

UT123 (& multiple references) "Surge Damage Modifiers"

UT209 (& multiple references) "*temporary* disadvantage, Electrical, -20%"

B432 Electrical Damage; "[regular people] make an immediate health roll when ever someone is zapped. On a failure the victim is stunned ... the victim may roll HT once per second to recover ... electrical damage *also* causes "surge" effects in victims who have the Electrical Disadvantage."

FAQ " any Electronics that take over 1/3 HP from an attack with the Surge enhancement must make a HT roll to avoid shorting out.

what I think I understand;
Electrical attack are supposed to cause greater harm to electrical characters.

If you are electrical and you get hit with a Critical Hit from an attack with the Surge Modifier you become unconscious.

A human (without the electrical disadvantage), rolls HT (-n) when hit with an electrical attack.

thanks for your help :), also thanks to Johndallman for this excellent thread series and the, the ever erudite Vicki Molokh for always pitching in with a reference.
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #19
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Yeah I expected quite a bit better performance out of an attack designed to undercut electrical systems and the all-or-nothing aspect was bewildering as well. There are a lot of electrical systems in vehicles and I would expect a non-critical hit to impart some damage to one or more of the systems.

Thoughts on an alternative?
Old 04-17-2020, 12:20 AM   #20
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
That also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Where is this proposed? This sounds very interesting.
Seconded. Anyone have a link?
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, electrical