Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: The Book of Unlife

This looks very cool as well.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #22
larsdangly

Looking forward to being able to get/print a hard copy of the final product! Any ideas about when/how/where you plan to release/sell it?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #23
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Looking forward to being able to get/print a hard copy of the final product! Any ideas about when/how/where you plan to release/sell it?
I'm hoping to offer it initially as a PDF through the Limited Publishing License program when that comes out. If there is enough interest in a physical copy I'll check on printers for that. I know some folks who have printed monster manuals from other projects. Thanks for the feedback!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #24
Shadekeep

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2659478

Thanks to all of you for your support and feedback on this project! It really is a dream come true for me to be able to contribute to the TFT universe like this. I can't wait to see how it turns out, and I hope you all are looking forward to it as well. Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2019, 03:36 AM   #25
JimmyPlenty

I didn't get in on the KS, but I did grab that when Decks of Destiny hit. Which parts did you contribute to?

(Admittedly, now I am foaming at the mouth to get it having to wait until DoD gets shipped. LOL!)

The Book of Unlife looks like a worthwhile project. Everyone wants more creatures!

I'm surprised you didn't mention your Book of Uncommon Things. Corpse Butter is just marketing gold. Who wouldn't be curious about what the heck that is?

Intrigued about the Mesmerian as well. Somehow, I know that the Octopi are the main deal in TFT, but it would be an interesting take on Cidri if you mentioned on how aquatic intelligent life came to be.

Personally, I am also awaiting the Limited Publishing License. I have a 16-24-ish page adventure that I have already written. Of course, it is in the 20% part of the "80%/20%" rule now. Playtesting and tweaking. Cracking and breaking.

Did you do you own illustrations for those books BTW?
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #26
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
*snip*
Sorry for any confusion, I didn't contribute anything to DoD. I linked to the post because it's the first public confirmation of The Book of Unlife, so I now feel a bit safer about discussing it here. I didn't want to let the homunculus out of the bag before then. ^_^

I am still working on The Book of Uncommon Beings, and my current plan is to offer that through the creator license, unless SJ Games opts to pick it up. It's a pretty weird book so I could understand them shying away from making it canon.

The drawings are not mine, though I wish I had the talent to illustrate like that! I commissioned a pair of twin sisters to illustrate the books. I met the first artist through Kickstarter and commissioned her to illustrate Unlife, then she recommended her sister to illustrate Uncommon Beings. The former is very much in a Brothers Grimm/Edward Gorey fanciful style, whereas the latter is more traditional fantasy. Since SJ Games is publishing Unlife, the illustrations will be redone by their in-house team. If I go the creator license route with Uncommon Beings, then those illustrations will remain.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 10-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
JimmyPlenty

Well cool either way. Will this be your first publication?

I'm a little spoiled. My brother is an artist. He even won an Origins award for his B&W art.

Well, you may not illustrate, but you programming down. That's for sure. That's where you've spent a few IQ points on. :)
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #28
Shadekeep

Yes, this will be my first publication in the gaming arena. And programming was the hobby that turned into a career. I'm actually a biologist by education, but got into computers as a hobbyist back when they were still rare beasts. Computer experience was uncommon enough back then that it was what people wanted to hire me for, and so it became my career trajectory.

I'm largely self-taught in programming. One of the few actual programming classes I took in college was on a mainframe, if that gives you an idea how long I've been at it. ^_^
Old 10-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #29
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
I'm a little spoiled. My brother is an artist. He even won an Origins award for his B&W art.
That's really cool! Nice to have your own in-house artist to call on. My brother is a graphic artist (what they used to call a commercial artist) and was great at sketching back in college. Sadly he doesn't do it anymore, or I would have gotten him to do my books. Sounds like you'll have some quality work in your own offerings!