Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-01-2016, 02:53 AM   #81
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I mentioned this before in another thread, but I'm formally asking a question: What's the target audience of the DF Box?
From the ENWorld article:

Quote:
All this will come out of the box ready to play! It will be compatible with GURPS but you won’t need to know or invest in GURPS. And while it won’t be “rules light,” it will be friendly to new gamers. Existing GURPS fans will also want it, both for the revisions and rethinks made in response to customer feedback on the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series, and for content exclusive to the set.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content...G#.V8fsKZMrJE4
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:27 AM   #82
Tomsdad

First off just to say that looks well lush, and I think it is a very good move by SJGames! If nothing else it seems to have kindled interest in non GURPS players and that's a very good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We have seen those. If the project closes successfully, and if there is enough support in any one region of the world, we will look at those options again. BUT we cannot commit to such a thing until we know the level of demand in a region.

Shipping costs for the Kickstarter project will be collected after the project closes during the BackerKit survey. This allows us to determine the actual shipping costs closer to shipment _and_ makes it so that shipping charges don't apply to reaching the goal.
As a Brit Backer (or soon to be one) that's a bit of a mixed thing for me.

It splits the cost for me (often P&P can be the same price as as the actually product at times) and that is a good thing.

But it also means I'm committing to buy and in fact already paying for the box without knowing how much I have to pay later to actually get it, that might deter some.

IME most Kick-starters don't split P&P out after the kickstarter this way. That said I haven't done any previous SJGames Kick-starters so if that is the model and it worked before than fair enough!

However I also appreciate it a bit tough for you to commit to price for something that will happen in the future and as you say may be done differently from how you currently envision. It's just the unknown variability effects both sides

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-01-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 AM   #83
Refplace

Wow, staffers were burning the midnight oil on this thread.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:47 AM   #84
dbm

Quote:
We have seen those. If the project closes successfully, and if there is enough support in any one region of the world, we will look at those options again. BUT we cannot commit to such a thing until we know the level of demand in a region.

Shipping costs for the Kickstarter project will be collected after the project closes during the BackerKit survey. This allo ws us to determine the actual shipping costs closer to shipment _and_ makes it so that shipping charges don't apply to reaching the goal.
Thanks Phil, that's reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
As a Brit Backer (or soon to be one) that's a bit of a mixed thing for me.

It splits the cost for me (often P&P can be the same price as as the actually product at times) and that is a good thing.

But it also means I'm committing to buy and in fact already paying for the box without knowing how much I have to pay later to actually get it, that might deter some.

IME most Kick-starters don't split P&P out after the kickstarter this way. That said I haven't done any previous SJGames Kick-starters so if that is the model and it worked before than fair enough!
I back quite a lot of Kickstarters and splitting out P&P has been the default for that 12 months in my experience. Prices are volatile and this money doesn't contribute to the development of the product, so it seems fair (if inconvenient).
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:55 AM   #85
scc

Forgive me for not understanding things properly, but I've never really looked at Kickstarter before, but isn't the amount of money you donate fixed at the time you donate? (Does it go into escrow or something?) And any unexpected costs that crop up, like international shipping in this case, the responsibility of whoever makes the project to absorb? (Unless they put in a disclaimer, but Kickstarter isn't, to my knowledge, supposed to be used as a pre-order system, so this might run into ToS problems.)
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #86
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
The Kickstarter project includes estimated shipping costs and we will not charge more than the stated estimate. Also, stretch goals reduce shipping costs for all backers, regardless of where they live, and as those stretch goals are met the shipping gets cheaper for everyone.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #87
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
Thanks Phil, that's reasonable.

I back quite a lot of Kickstarters and splitting out P&P has been the default for that 12 months in my experience. Prices are volatile and this money doesn't contribute to the development of the product, so it seems fair (if inconvenient).
Guess it comes down to personal experience then, none of the several I've done over the last three years (IIRC) has done so.

I take the point about volatile prices, but as I said this way you customer not only faces all the risk, but is also captured.

Thing is I could live with all that, but my biggest fear is as Brit who has ordered a lot of stuff from the US from all sorts of suppliers down the years, not only do P&P prices vary over time for all sorts of reasons, they also vary considerably by supplier as well.

But if SJGames do reasonable priced P&P than it's all good (I've only brought PDFs direct from them so have no direct experience of physical P&P)

EDIT, and it's all moot as per philreed's last post!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-01-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:33 AM   #88
Tomsdad

Quote:
The Kickstarter project includes estimated shipping costs and we will not charge more than the stated estimate. Also, stretch goals reduce shipping costs for all backers, regardless of where they live, and as those are met the shipping gets cheaper for everyone.
Ah well that's the best of both worlds then, and answers my possible worries

Cheers

TD
Old 09-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #89
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Forgive me for not understanding things properly, but I've never really looked at Kickstarter before, but isn't the amount of money you donate fixed at the time you donate?
Yes, but development of the process around crowdfunding has led to more realistic shipping costs over time. It is not at all unusual for projects to collect shipping costs separately and after the project has closed.

For the Dungeon Fantasy Kickstarter project we are charging all backers -- regardless of where they live -- for shipping after the project closes. There are no shipping costs collected during the project.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:36 AM   #90
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Wow, staffers were burning the midnight oil on this thread.
We often do. I think Andrew and I are the biggest offenders of visibly working at odd night hours, but Steve has always been one to work until 3 or 4 in the morning. He's getting better.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy