Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
GlennDoren

Default Melee Cover Preview

I just found this, and no one's mentioned it here, from what I can tell...

Prelim Melee Cover

I gotta say... I'm not digging the art :(

Thoughts?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: Melee Cover Preview

Yeah, I gotta admit this one leaves me a bit colder than the Wizard cover art did...

Of course, I'm still thinking of the original Danforth cover for Melee and the original Wizard cover (can't remember the artists name off the top of my head, but he was good!). I like cover art that tells a story, and both of those covers sure as heck did! These new ones, not so much, in my opinion.

However, I don't suppose Steve Jackson Games will be hiring me as an art consultant any time soon, and until they do, my opinion is worth about what you paid for it... ;-)
Old 06-16-2018, 01:24 AM   #3
GlennDoren

I find this Melee cover even more 'toonish/comic book-ish, in a dull way. It just doesn't have a distinctive energy. It could be a generic image found in some fantasy-themed rulebook or historical book. But it just doesn't have a wow factor that makes you want to linger on it. The original melee/wizard/itl covers really do have a unique and impressive style. If we were looking at frames from an animated film/show, this new melee cover looks like it would be part of some choppy animated saturday morning cartoon, while the old covers would be playing on a big screen, double-featured with some Ralph Bakshi film. Meaning--they have a presence and a smooth cool quality.

Yes, it all comes down to opinions on art... this isn't a science... but you still need to consider gut reaction from viewers. Just not getting a good gut reaction.

Anyone love these?

And I say this WANTING to love the art we're seeing... but now's the time to make honest (if difficult) decisions. Need to make sure the art lives up to the quality bar set by the game design.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:49 AM   #4
GlennDoren

If you do a quick "gladiator art" search on google, so many interesting and cool images come up. Would be nice to have something that exudes that energy and excitement for a game called "Melee". A simple name that packs a lot of punch. The art needs to pack the same type of potency.

And I hate coming down so hard on someone's art... but hey, this game holds a special place in my little kid heart. Especially if the point of this release is to give the game the cosmetic/makeover treatment it deserves... it deserves a slick cover/design.

And if you're going to put a face on the gladiator... make sure it has impact. Again, google "gladiator art" and a few images of russell crowe in gladiator comes up (in a few different portrait styles) and some of them... just... look... COOL. They set an intense mood appropriate for MELEE.

The existing prelim art for Melee v2.0... he just looks a but meh.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #5
schoon

Yeah - that cover doesn't say "fantasy" to me.

It says vaguely historical. Doesn't seem to fit the theme of the game.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:02 AM   #6
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

It does say "Not Final Art" so there's some hope there.

It looks like Cardboard Heroes art. In this size, it reminds me of a Lost Worlds book.

Either way, I'm excited to see the actual covers.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:37 AM   #7
Chris Rice

I'd have to say it's also a thumbs down from me. We really need some better cover art to help sell this.

If you look at the Art for Dungeon Fantasy, it's far better than this and, no disrespect to DF, TFT is a much bigger game potentially. Firstly, it has history; many of us played it back in the day and at one point it ran D&D close in sales. Secondly, it's approachable and versatile; it can be played as pure skirmish or RPG which could attract a whole new audience of younger gamers.

I would expect the Kickstarter numbers to be closer to Ogre, with about 5k backers than Dungeon Fantasy which had about 1-1.5k backers. If the average spend is $100 then that's a lot of wonga potentially.

So please Steve and team, don't skimp on the artwork. We're going to do our best to make this big so please do your best to help us out.

Last edited by Chris Rice; 06-16-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Nebless

I always thought the front and back artwork of the original Melee cover got the idea about what the game was very well.

Was never a big fan of the follow on full color version; the guy and girl were OK, but something always seemed off about the monster he stood over, but once again you got the idea of what the game was about.

This new sample just doesn't do that. A charging Roman guy, OK, big deal.

And like one of the other posts said it reminds me of a 'Lost World' combat book cover.
Closed Thread