Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-26-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
JamieMcK

Default GCA5 Updates

Hello,

I purchased the new GCA 5. I ran the file (gcasetup_5.0.189.release).
When I looked at updates I saw three boxes. The top two indicated I should not run them until I have 5.0.199. The bottom box contains the following data:

Update Info:
Version 5.0.199.0 is now available for download from Warehouse 23
You must download GURPS_Character_Assistant.zip from your Warehouse 23 account and run the gca5setup_5.0.199.release.exe installer that it contains in order to get the new version.

The link below will take you to your Warehouse 23 download page if you are logged in.
Link for more info: https://www.warehouse23.com/account/downloads

----
So, I returned to Warehouse 23. My accounts/downloads list does not include my latest purchase (two pdf source books and the GCA5).

What should I do?
JamieMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
MeddlingMonk

Default Re: GCA5 Updates

I suspect the problem will probably fix itself shortly, but if not, you can use the Warehouse 23 contact page to contact the Warehouse 23 team, and ask for their help.
MeddlingMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Unfortunately, that's not something I can help you with. As MeddlingMonk said, you should contact Warehouse 23 support for help with orders.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

I emailed Steven at Warehouse 23 to ask him to look at this. I have just done that, so there's not been time for him to respond yet.

My guess, since you got 5.0.189, is that you must have purchased from the new Shopify test store, since that appears to be the version they have over there (from something someone posted in another thread).

If that's the case, then if they get that updated to 199 then you should be able to re-download from there instead of from Warehouse 23. Or, if they sync orders so that your purchase appears on Warehouse 23, you would be good there.

Basically, if you did indeed purchase at the new Shopify test store, things are out of sync, and they need to sync *something* to help you, either orders to W23 or files to Shopify.

If your purchase was from Warehouse 23 here at SJGames all along, then. . . something else is going on.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #5
Steven Marsh

As an update:

The bug on the new store keeping us from updating files has been rectified. As such, the version of the files of GCA on both the old and new stores are now the same (5.0.199).

If anyone runs into any problems in this regard for this file, please let me know! (I still have to implement some other recent updates, which will hopefully be done by tomorrow.)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
JamieMcK

Thank you,

That issue has been resolved.

However, after playing with the program for a few days, a new problem popped up.

I installed all updates of interest, and have been fiddling with the program while reading the User Reference Guide.

But now, when I click on Options in Tools, Options opens, followed by an error message. The program allows me to save characters, and then it crashes.

The error message goes like this:

Microsoft.VisualBasic
Unhandled Exception Occurred: InvalidArgument=Value of '0' is not valid for 'Selectedindex',
Parameter name: Selectedindex
Stack Trace:
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(In t32 value)
at GCA5.frmOptions.RefreshForm()
at GCA5.frmOptions.frmOptions_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender,EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean flgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.NativeWindow.Callback(In tPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr Iparam)

I tried reinstalling, but the problem is still there. I cannot access Options without crashing the program.

Please advise.
Old 10-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

You appear to be hitting some kind of bug in GCA that most people aren't.

Unfortunately, there's not much in that error message to tell me what the issue is, other than that it's related to a drop-down selection. I can start going through all of those to try and find the issue, but there's one thing you can do to potentially help me out.

Try running GCA, and closing all open characters. And then try opening Options when no characters are loaded. See if that works or still causes this error. That will at least help me reduce possible places where the problem might lie, since I can't reproduce the issue myself.

It may also be that a specific character has a bad setting somehow, and that's affecting the Current Character Options pane in Options. If so, you should be able to use Options with no characters loaded, and loading one character at a time should narrow it down to which character is the problem.

You can also try going into C:\Program Files (x86)\GURPS Character Assistant 5\ and running the thecleaner.exe application. That will allow you to try removing transient data, such as user settings, to see if that fixes the issue. Click the Remove All User Data button, then try running GCA again and see if that fixes the error, as that's the most likely cause if it's bad settings of some kind. (This will not remove anything stored in your Documents folder, just user-specific preferences and such.)

(If that doesn't do it, you can also try Remove All Program Data, but doing that will require you to reinstall GCA afterward, before you try running GCA again. If that's what you want to do, click the button and then use Add or Remove Programs to uninstall GCA, and then reinstall, to get the cleanest possible install.)
Old 10-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #8
JamieMcK

Thank you,

I had all characters closed and it was still causing the crash.

So, as per your recommendation, I opened thecleaner.exe and ran Remove All User Data.
I then opened GCA5 again an clicked on Options.

It worked.

Again, thank you.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

You're welcome!

Thanks for the extra bit of info. I will try to track down possible causes and add traps for them, so hopefully this won't crop up again for future builds.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:58 PM   #10
JamieMcK

I hate to be a pest...

I just noticed since I ran thecleaner.exe as per your recommendation, the Manage Your Library popup has changed.
There were three windows, the bottom of which had a massive list of books.
That third window is now gone. The only books I have left in the Library are from the default.gds, and the testing.gds I made earlier.

I looked through Options and I can't figure out what I changed, or how to get them all back.

Thank you for the time and attention you have been giving me.