Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPM Problems You Have

Just to clarify a bit. Not using RPM because you don't get the system as a whole is not what I'm asking. I'm asking if there are specific things you don't understand about the system. If you don't use RPM because of X is better, that's fine. More power to you, but that's not going to help me at all in this thread.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
isf

The only player that has tried RPM in my group did not like that there was more than one way to get something done: he likes dnd where there is only the spells already made and ;no way to alter them other than metamagic feats and casting at a higher spell slot. I think that the flexilbility is not for him

The lines between lesser and greater effects did not seem clear enough to either of us (I went with lesser effects are coincidental and greater effects are obviously supernatural in the end)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #13
Moneval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I would like to see a deeper chapter for the Path of Daath.
I second this.

I'll say that for me, the biggest issue I face with RPM is a lack of definition for creating different magical traditions. I know several different methods have been put out there, and they're all good, but I would like to see actual, consolidated rules for making, say, voodoo different than kabbalah different than celtic magic.
Moneval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #14
Refplace

My main issue is there is a lot to calculate. Doing it on the fly and slowing the game down can be handled by banning improvisation, but it still takes more work and time than most other systems outside of game time.
Reducing the page flipping by having all the numbers on one page or two facing pages would help. I thought someone made something like that though?

I dont find the math very hard, its the number of steps and components that have to be factored in.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #15
Humabout

My main issue, pre-Raeki, was a lack of examples. But he did an amazing job working the entirety of GURPS Magic in RPM. I don't think there is anything lacking for GURPS Ritual Path Magic at this point, for me at least. PK did a fantastic job.

To respond to some comments:
It's generally time to add another effect when you add another thing the ritual does. Make it greater or lesser as needed. Frex, spell makes makes you explode with fire and immune to fire? One effect for explosion, another for immunity.

I find it only slightly more mathy, since basic magic still has you sorting casting costs and what not. This is just addition, so for me? Meh. Basic. For other less math-inclined GMs? Get a calculator for $5?

The biggest thing for me is that RPM feels different than other systems. I like that feel, so I like the system. Others may not and that's understandable. It is decidedly NOT DnD-like for sure. But that's a selling point for me.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #16
Overheat

Thanks for making this thread. I really love RPM and it is a wonderful system for making your own spells in a coherent way.

Below are some questions I have wondered about myself now that I am running a campaign with a PC that uses RPM.

1. Why would a PC ever use a charm they made with a quirk? They know if the charm is quirked. Is it only time pressure that makes them maybe have to accept a quirked charm? I know if they try to make something too tough they will get a critical failure sooner or later, but that hardly seems like too much of a problem during downtime.

2. Are HT rolls to avoid death a narrow or moderate category of Bestows a Bonus?

3. When does a spell have to pay for damage? If a spell made a pit underneath the enemies 5 yards deep, would you have to pay for the fall damage?

4. What is the Racial Template point limit on Transmogrification? If you wanted to turn someone into an animal with a 5 point racial template, would you need to give Morph/Alternate Form as well?

5. I believe Altered Traits are supposed to be some sort of last resort, if what you want to do could be done a different way, is this correct?

6. When making Crossroads-based shortcuts- can you set the travel time to go through the gate at something greater than 1 second to save on the Speed spell modifier?

7. When is the Speed spell modifier needed? T:RPM says it is for movement spells, is that for moving anything? A spell that sent a message to a far off city would pay for Range, but would it also pay for Speed if it got there in one second? What if it were a physical letter being flung across the sky?

8. Would Greater Create Crossroads be enough to create a usable, wooden door in a stone wall? Do you need to pay for the weight of the door, or displaced stone? Do you need to pay for damage to break the stone?
Overheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post

The biggest thing for me is that RPM feels different than other systems. I like that feel, so I like the system. Others may not and that's understandable. It is decidedly NOT DnD-like for sure. But that's a selling point for me.
Yeah, the feel is an important part of RPM for me and the main thing that decides if its used in a setting or not.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:41 AM   #18
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I've never been a fan of the system. It's not a fault of the system, I didn't like the Mage: The Ascension system either, and the two share the same basic setup. I just am not fond of rule systems that are overly open-ended and where using them is basically a negotiation between player and GM every time.

To make RPM more palatable to me would require examples. Lot of example castings, with explanations of how they were worked out and advice on variants of each spell cast.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #19
AlexanderHowl

I think that the default system is relatively straightforward, though there are issues that come up when people make them own Paths. For example, how would you classify lesser and greater effects for a RPM system based off the Western Zodiac or the Ancient Egyptian religion. RPM can do either, and much more, but GMs need to be careful with balancing lesser and greater effects and with balancing scope.

This problem becomes even more odd when you start examining more abstract or conceptual systems. Imagine a RPM system with the following elemental Paths: Air, Dark, Earth, Fire, Light, Metal, Spirit, Void, Water, and Wood. The GM would have to define the metaphysical scope of each Path and then give examples of lesser and greater effects. Right now, there is not much guidance on how to balance home grown RPM systems.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #20
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Just to clarify a bit. Not using RPM because you don't get the system as a whole is not what I'm asking (...)
I know this is aimed to the public in general, but just in case, in my post the main issue is that RPM as is, is hard to employ/play with if the setting is not designed for "RPM gaming". It is a great system (my favorite), but I have to walk an extra mile to have it work for the players.

In my experience (as a GM and as a player) the CP cost-benefit is relatively low when the setting does not exclusively revolve around magic (i.e. Harry Potter) as opposed to settings featuring swords (or guns) and sorcery.

Mages or hybrid mages tend to become the underdogs of the party if I don't give them bonuses. Especially at the beginning, you require a higher budget if you want to build a good RPM mage than you need for a regular (good) warrior. Of course, I reckon RPM lets you do amazing stuff, but you usually get to it until late-game.

Tags
ritual path magic