Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #31
Shostak

Default Re: TFT Errata for Hexagram #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentreuber View Post
I’m not in favor of using pages from Hexagram for errata. I think it’s much better to make a web document for errata that can be updated as needed, rather than a printed article that is frozen forever. Use those pages for more interesting content.
Indeed. On top of that, we're paying for Hexagram and a list of errata should be free.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #32
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Indeed. On top of that, we're paying for Hexagram and a list of errata should be free.
Excellent point.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #33
larsdangly

Agreed on both points. I feel like Hexagram is good because it is fun and creative. Errata are important, but not fun and creative. Maybe use the TFT web site to distribute errata?
Old 09-21-2019, 02:36 AM   #34
Brazen Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The more I think about removing the chance of falling into pits on a retreat, the more I can't resist ranting against it. Please read.
I stand with Skarg! (Please note the previous statement sounds best shouted on the battlefield just before the fray.)
Old 09-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #35
hcobb

Long-Range Missile Fire at ITL page 125 alternates "yards" and "hexes" as if these were identical, but a yard is three feet and ITL page 11 says:

"Hex – A hexagonal space on the gameboard, representing an area four feet across."

This length conversion also happens at ITL pages 113 and 124.

Other uses of "yards" measure vertical distance, while the "standard hex" (for Create X spells, and also enchantments?) is four feet in "diameter" and ten feet tall.

At ITL 55 if the distance from the center of one hex to the centers of the six nearest hexes is four feet, then the distance from the center of the center hex of a megahex to the center of the center of the nearest megahexes is two and and half times that, or 10 feet and not the "3 yards" listed. And the error compounds at each step up from there.

Last edited by hcobb; 09-21-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #36
Steve Plambeck

If a hex were 3.5 feet across measured side to side, the diameter of a circle drawn around that hex, being the same as the distance from corner to corner, would be 4.0 feet exactly. Not sure that makes any difference to this or not. I was surprised to see 4 feet given as the new size of a melee hex, but now would say that's actually not a terrible approximation if we're talking 3 feet from side to side, or from the center of one hex to an adjacent one.

My cohorts and I always treated melee hex-to-hex distance as 1 yard when scaling things, and I'm sure I always will.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #37
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Can I be halfway in agreement? There will be a web document which is kept updated, just as we are supposed to be doing for everything. (In this case, probably, more than we do for most things, because more people are playing this game actively.)

But it's very much in the old-school spirit for a game's zine to have an errata-and-updates article. And I have taken some heat in the past when we produced content that was not available in hardcopy. I'm really not comfortable having it only on the web. If, Cthulhu forbid, something ever happens to SJ Games or to the site, this will still be around.

It's all of two pages. We're saving that much by not running ads this issue. Let me have this one, ok?
Old 09-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #38
TippetsTX

OK, Steve. ;)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #39
hcobb

"99-100. Rats may stack at two per hex; they must still be attacked individually."

IIRC, Rats can only attack targets in their own hex. Therefore leather armor is complete protection against Rats as the pair of rats on a single character can't roll double or triple damage on one die. Therefore the comment on ITL 100: "If you are wearing leather, which takes 2 hits, then the first two rat bites each turn don’t count, but the rest do. A rat must be on the figure’s hex to attack." makes no sense as there will only be two rat bites to roll each turn.

My suggestion is:
  • Limit of four (to at most six) vermin per hex.
  • Limit of two slimes per hex (counting as multiple vermin each).
  • Vermin and slimes do not engage and are not engaged by other creatures.
  • When a vermin or slime moves into a standing figure's hex that figure may roll 3/DX to hop to an adjacent empty hex and evade for a turn.
  • Risk of the evasion roll is a roll of 17/18 (12 for acrobatics) chance of falling down in their own hex and losing next action.
  • Once vermin/slimes are in the hex they cling to the victim and follow them around into fires and such.
  • Slimes are medium sized and crawling, hence +4 to hit.
  • Crawling vermin are crawling(+4 to hit), but also tiny and evasive(-4 to hit), which cancels out.
  • Flying vermin are not crawling but are evasive (-4 to hit with non-ranged attacks).

Also

ITL 41 Two Weapons "parry with both weapons, adding an extra die to attempts to hit you and stopping 4 points of damage from any successful attack, but not threatening the enemy"

The extra die here is from taking the defend option, not an extra die over the defend option?

If the later then...

Goblin Wizard ST 6, DX 11, IQ 15
Silver Dagger Staff(1d-1/1d), Silver Dagger(1d-1)
Staff IV, Knife, Two Weapons, etc.

To double parry and occult blast zap in her traditional three-handed style.

And MA adjustments are missing from ITL 132 "Armor for Riding Beasts". If chainmail barding reduces a warhorse to MA 6 then you will never get the 8-hex move needed for "The Cavalry Lance" at ITL 131.

Rate of fire for these firearms is actually closest to the Wheellock, which can be used for one-shot traps also.

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-a...7-18th-century

Last edited by hcobb; 09-25-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #40
Frumious

I'm really happy that there will be a pre-printed paper copy to look at...
Closed Thread