Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
fiolnir

Default Spaceships Major Batteries??????

Okay, if the Gunnery task only allows the use of a single fixed major battery, how come a lot of the ships from Spaceships v4 have designs with multiple identical fixed major batteries and only ONE crew member??!! What's the point if only one battery can be fired??

...unless im reading the gunnery task rules wrong... anyone got any ideas???
fiolnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Spaceships Major Batteries??????

See Spaceships 1, page 53. Under Gunnery Tasks, it notes a character can control all identical fixed mount weapons. Weapons that aren't identical yet are all controlled by a single gunner simply means the character can't use all of them at once - if a vessel has 3 VRF Major Battery lasers and a Major Battery missile launcher, the character can fire all three lasers or just the missile launcher.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
fiolnir

Sounds good. Ive read that page over and over again... it always reads to me as if only the identical weapons within a single battery could be fired. I appreciate the clarification.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiolnir View Post
Sounds good. Ive read that page over and over again... it always reads to me as if only the identical weapons within a single battery could be fired. I appreciate the clarification.
...Looking at the text, I think you'd have been entirely correct. I can't find a citation supporting the idea that you can use multiple batteries.

Am I missing a key sentence somewhere, or is this one of those Spaceships rules errors?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
fiolnir

I would of never questioned the rule...but then after looking at Spaceships v4 it got me wondering!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
fiolnir

Anybody else have an opinion on this??
Old 11-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
vierasmarius

Considering there are several places in SS4 where it lists pairs of Major or Medium batteries on a single line, it's reasonable to assume that identical fixed weapons can be fired together, regardless of whether or not they're in the same battery. Just remember that even though multiple weapons are firing, they aren't making multiple attacks, just increasing the effective RoF of the attack. Seem balanced enough to me.

A good example is the Starhawk fighter. It is essentially an X-Wing, complete with a missile launcher, four laser cannons, and a robot-operated Engine Room for in-flight repairs.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 11-03-2014 at 05:31 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
fiolnir

I agree. I think it allows a greater diversity of ship designs, especially when emulating spaceships from fiction.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Considering there are several places in SS4 where it lists pairs of Major or Medium batteries on a single line, it's reasonable to assume that identical fixed weapons can be fired together, regardless of whether or not they're in the same battery.
No, that really doesn't have any such implication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Just remember that even though multiple weapons are firing, they aren't making multiple attacks, just increasing the effective RoF of the attack. Seem balanced enough to me.

A good example is the Starhawk fighter. It is essentially an X-Wing, complete with a missile launcher, four laser cannons, and a robot-operated Engine Room for in-flight repairs.
Yeah, it's not imbalanced or unreasonable. (In fact, if anything it's most likely to be disadvantageous.)

The problem is that it seems to be contrary to the rules as written. And I have to say I think the rules should not be written to contradict their intent.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No, that really doesn't have any such implication.
The mere fact that the designs include multiple identical fixed batteries, but especially the fact of how they are frequently grouped, is a clear indication of the author's intent on the matter.

Quote:
The problem is that it seems to be contrary to the rules as written. And I have to say I think the rules should not be written to contradict their intent.
The RAW is wrong, and as such is being ignored even by the authors of the Spaceships series.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote