Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #81
TheAmishStig

Default Re: FnordCon Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
Sadly, I am both crazy enough and willful enough to probably give this a go.

I really like big demo games.

However, I'll have to see once I've gotten some games under my belt.

...and an I the only one who thinks this dashboards are really cool!?
I think my nearly two weeks of squee-ing like a groupie speaks for itself on that one. ^_-
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #82
mook

Oooh, that looks great! Reminds me a bit of the "Formula D" board game (which is an absolute compliment)
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #83
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Oooh, that looks great! Reminds me a bit of the "Formula D" board game (which is an absolute compliment)
There's definitely pieces of Formula D in there. And defense rolls from GURPS. And tuned colored custom dice from Zombie Dice. And the obvious comparisons to X-Wing.

There's definitely an element of "poor artists copy but great artists steal" and "if you source your ideas from enough different places, it's not 'plagarism', it's 'research'." The whole thing is really an incredibly well researched work of art for how well it all hangs together. I have a lot of respect for the design team.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #84
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
There's definitely an element of "poor artists copy but great artists steal" and "if you source your ideas from enough different places, it's not 'plagarism', it's 'research'." The whole thing is really an incredibly well researched work of art for how well it all hangs together. I have a lot of respect for the design team.
"If you're going to steal, steal from the best."
[Steve Jackson, on vector-movement rules in _Star Fist_]

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #85
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Not to sidetrack the thread, but yes, Formula De is an amazing game. Well worth playing.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #86
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
Not to sidetrack the thread, but yes, Formula De is an amazing game. Well worth playing.
I love Formula De...but my blood pressure doesn't! I have a nasty habit of thinking about it in terms of 'This is where I'd jump on the brakes in a virtual race car' and not enough time thinking about it in terms of 'Under the hood (ha!) this is a resource-management game themed around racing', then getting frustrated when the dice refuse to play nice.

We should probably find ourselves an off-topic thread if we're going to keep this going...but do you have any experience with either Rallyman or Das Motorsportspiel? Both look interesting.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #87
Magesmiley

I was thinking a bit about the intro games this morning, and thought that I'd offer a setup suggestion:

The dashboards are small enough that they could fit on top of a standard (8.5 x 11) sheet of paper. I think that it would be possible to create a sheet where the dashboard sits in a square in the middle and have the cards preprinted on the sheet around the dashboard box. There'd probably also be room for a turn order on it too. Stick the starting armor on the sheet and the total points somewhere too.

Voila. Stock Cars.

Something like that could be laminated even for easy reuse.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #88
Magesmiley

Another item I was thinking about is how much space the equipment cards take up. I thought that I'd offer a suggestion to improve the layout there:

If you switched the where the mounting restriction (bottom in red) and the equipment type (top grey bar) are located on the cards, it would put all of the information you needed during the game (as opposed to pregame) on the bottom third of the card, which would make it possible to stack them up, covering the top portion of the card, allowing you to need less table space.

Another idea for speeding things up:
Color code the text on the internal hit cards: blue for tires, red for power plant, grey for armor. Use orange for fire, and pick colors for the other things that can be hit. Put the text on the cards for the item type in the matching color. Voila... a way to quickly see which items on a side are hit without having to read the fine print. I think it would also still works for color blind folks, as they can still read the words.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #89
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Redesigning components is not an option at this point. The FnordCon demo sessions were meant as a preview of the game that will be Kickstarted later this year, not as a playtest.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #90
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Redesigning components is not an option at this point. The FnordCon demo sessions were meant as a preview of the game that will be Kickstarted later this year, not as a playtest.
Okay - I hadn't realized that everything was locked down already - what we had heard there was that things weren't finalized yet. I assumed that it'd be worth tossing out minor tweak suggestions (text color and switching two text locations) to make the game a bit better.