Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2015, 03:33 AM   #61
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: TV series with ideas for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
They didn't have faster than light travel so they were here to stay. They were eating people just because people were in plentiful supply and it was their way of asserting their dominance.
Who didn't? I can't think of any TV programs with generation ships as the method aliens traveled to earth via.
This planet is full of life forms toxic to us and we evolved here and have exceptionally diverse diets and methods of detoxifying foods.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #62
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
That's because, IMO, Contact Groups are way overpriced. Maybe later on, when she gets a costume or superhero name.
Contact Groups are practically treated as a superpower on the show, IMHO. She talks her way into the morgue by snapping out her phone and instantly getting Joe Blow Morgue Guy the chef's table at a ritzy place in Manhattan. Oh yeah, and she speaks fluent French on the whole call. And the martial arts we see her perform on screen would require some decent physical Attributes in addition to skill. Overall, I think Patty is easily in the same league as Jessica in GURPS terms. She'd be the Facewoman on the team, but can hold her own in a fight against normals and near-normals, and may even have a better HT than Jessica does, all things considered.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 12-11-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #63
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
They didn't have faster than light travel so they were here to stay.
Well yes, there was an invasion. It's hard to have a Nazi allegory without an occupying force...

However I was always under the impression that once their water tanks were topped off and the meat freezer full of tasty earthlings (human and non-human) they were headed back to the Homeworld.

The only reason they didn't was the damage the Resistance did to the mothership.

Quote:
They were eating people just because people were in plentiful supply and it was their way of asserting their dominance.
And the explanation for all the humans they were keeping in stasis was?

Note: I have no idea what the 2009 V was about, I'm only referring to the original 1983-84 franchise.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #64
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Except that her character is cartoonish when compared to other lab techs of other shows.
When each C.S.I. character does the work of a dozen real life people, Abby does the work of a hundred all in a couple hours of in setting time.
Well thats because she was smart enough to purchase the CSI! skill instead of wasting points in single science skills and bought the Technique Instant Results (H) to offset the -10 penalty for time use and to get her work done "instantly".

Between her ability to purchase successes with her Wild Card Skill (which get replenished each episode) and her technique she rarely needs assistance ;)
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #65
Skarg

My usual inspiration from TV/movies to gaming, is wanting to see them not play out in the fake-o ways they do in forced media. I'm inspired to see all the "cool" moves and risky plans result in quick embarrassing deaths.

The latest Mad Max is a great example - ok, so you want to climb onto the hood and spit extra gas into the engine to gain a speed advantage... yep, ok let's see what your chances of hanging on and making it out there are, first. Oh, and you want to go up a bendy pole attached to a speeding car on rough ground and light a molotov cocktail spear and ... oh look, someone has an actual gun. Laugh...

Or Spectre - ok so you want to try to fly that unfamiliar plane down a forest road, to somehow threaten cars on the ground. Oh and then if you lose your wings and somehow don't crash, you're going to stay in the plane as it slides into a barn because you're pretty sure your odds of making it through and taking out those cars again is going to be really likely, eh? Or, ok you make it to the basement docks, start up a speedboat and make it out to the Thames... do you see THE helicopter? (rolls) Well it IS night and you are in London... you actually do see some helicopter lights... you want to chase it in your boat and fire a pistol at it, hoping it's the evil mastermind and you can take it down? mhmm...

Or The Phantom Menace - "Roll to miss Jar Jar... OOOOPS". Ok, so you're going to let Kindergarten Anakin compete in a pod race? What could go wrong? Oh, looks like he missed his driving roll... how fast is he crashing into that cliff? Roll 87d6 -87 for damage - no, count out 87 dice, please, I want to do it right and also hear the dice roll. If The Force is with him, he could live. If not, I guess he's not the Chosen One.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #66
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
My usual inspiration from TV/movies to gaming, is wanting to see them not play out in the fake-o ways they do in forced media. I'm inspired to see all the "cool" moves and risky plans result in quick embarrassing deaths.

(SNIP)
Soooo, you're not a big fan of cinematic Action!, then?

'Cause, it's perfectly okay by me. I enjoyed Fury Road, immensely, and saw it twice in the cinema. One of my favorite memories from that film occurred when the dude with the flamethrower guitar first appeared, and Tallest Niece had to laugh.

Tallest Niece: "Is that really necessary?"
Me: "No. But it's cool!"

Last edited by tshiggins; 12-11-2015 at 09:28 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #67
evileeyore
Banned

I was just thinking today that Z Nation is very much a DFed Zombie Apocalyspe game with several campaign switches set to "not as important as DF makes it" (like ammo, rations, and equipment).
Old 12-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #68
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Soooo, you're not a big fan of cinematic Action!, then?

'Cause, it's perfectly okay by me. I enjoyed Fury Road, immensely, and saw it twice in the cinema. One of my favorite memories from that film occurred when the dude with the flamethrower guitar first appeared, and Tallest Niece had to laugh.

Tallest Niece: "Is that really necessary?"
Me: "No. But it's cool!"
Mhmm. I enjoy the first Road Warrior far more, because it's far closer to making sense. Sure, some people try crazy things, but practically no rule of cool magic nonsense (which seemed to be the reason for 90% of what happened in Fury Road). Try to catch the metal boomerang and see what happens. Laugh.

The Fury Road rig was full of guns and ammo. We both know what would happen if you gamed that out in GURPS with players who had any tactical sense at all. They'd shoot the drivers. Flaming guitar guy is just a big target with no apparent combat practicality. GM or players would point out that the bad guys climbing to spit into the engine might need to roll to hang on, and even if they did it, they'd just be giving the drivers penalties to see, exposing themselves, and having no good effect on engine performance. The bendy pole guys would tend to fall off, especially if the cars had to turn, and even if not, they're sitting ducks. Jumping a motorcycle over a truck to throw a Molotov cocktail at it is just adding danger and to-hit penalties to yourself. Etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #69
scc

I think the worst problem with the entire Mad Max franchise is the problem of where the bad guys get their fuel from, the foundation of the series is that there is basically no more fuel in the world
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #70
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I think the worst problem with the entire Mad Max franchise is the problem of where the bad guys get their fuel from, the foundation of the series is that there is basically no more fuel in the world
Yup.

Once you're willing to overlook that...

Granted I still disliked Fury Road, but that was for all the other glaring plotholes and crazy inconsistencies.

"If we leave the rig here, and load the motorcycles up with as much as we can, we can maybe ride for a hundred and sixty days."

And that's where my brain decided the movie no longer needed paying attention to.

Tags
gurps, jessica jones, mad max, rule of cool, sense8, tv series