Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [OOC] Assault on Bunker 23

Update 4: Links to all PC sheets:

Poonbahbah
ErhnamDJ
Skullcrusher
ericthered
zoncxs

Update 3: And it looks like we're closed again.

Update 2: Temporarily open again, one more slot, which will go to the first person who can send me a reasonable draft of their character sheet.

Update: Okay, this is now closed. I have eight players expressing interests in five slots, and will actually have to find some way to narrow it down.

It's May 1941--in our universe, the darkest hour of World War II. However, things may be about to get a lot darker. A small group of five anti-Nazi supers meeting in London has somehow discovered the existence of Bunker 23, a mysterious base in northern Germany where, they believe, the Germans are building a weapon which may allow them to decisively win the war! Worse, their intelligence suggests they may have no more than 48 hours before the weapon is completed!

Guidelines for character creation are as follows:

First, Lamech is helping me co-GM by running the BBEG. If he finds a way to TPK the party fair and square, I'll let it happen. What that means for you is that your characters should be prepared to face a wide variety of threats, and collectively should have no major "holes" in their capabilities--e.g. you won't be screwed if you come up against invisible foes, you won't be screwed if you come up against intangible foes, you won't be screwed if you come up against foes with mind control powers, etc.

Second, I'm going go place a fair number of constraints on what I'll allow for the sake of avoiding *too much* munchkinism. With 2,000 points to play with, blatant game breakers shouldn't be necessary to build very powerful characters. Specifics (which I reserve the right to add to if necessary):
  • This is a TL7 game. Without the Early Adpoter perk, you'll be limited to tech that was actually available in 1941, though.
  • If your character is a time traveler, alien, or member of a lost civilization, pay an Unusual Background cost of 10, to enable buying up to four levels of High TL. Five levels (TL 12) is not permitted. In fact, pretend the parts of Ultra-Tech detailing TL 12 gear don't even exist.
  • Also pretend the Spaceship books do not exist. This is a game about superheros personally attacking a secret Nazi base, not nuking it from orbit. Buy special vehicles as Allies (possibly using the rules in Supers for a somewhat reduced point cost) if it really matters.
  • Though it may not matter for a one-shot, I'll generally make it difficult for High TL characters to resupply (for example, note that nanofacs require feedstocks, which is itself an item of high TL gear).
  • Gadgeteers with High TL benefit from their High TL when making modifications to their starting gear. High TL doesn't, however, help if you're trying to build something completely new out of lower TL parts.
  • I'll use Monster Hunters gadgeteering rules. For those without that book, I can figure out the penalties for it all works out to be *fairly* similar to the rules in Basic, though Gadgeteers with ambitious designs will need Weird Science.
  • GURPS Magic style magic and Monster Hunters magic are both allowed.
  • Limit 10 levels to Charisma, Magery (both versions), Talent, and similar advantages.
  • Abilities (that is, advantage/modifier combinations), if not taken from an existing supplement, will be carefully scrutinized for game balance.
  • This is particularly true of combinations of modifiers. For example, published supplements have abilities built as Visualization (Reduced Time) and Visualization (Reliable), but I wouldn't allow Visualization (Reduced Time, Reliable).
  • Even when used alone, enhancements given a caution value of three or four in Power-Ups 4 may get vetoed if not similar to an established usage. For example, I really dislike No Rule of 16 for the kind of game I plan on running.
  • Combinations of limitations may be vetoed if I feel they give too much of a discount for how much they limit you.
  • Time Travel is not allowed.
  • I've tried to be exhaustive here, but this list is still not *necessarily* exhaustive.
In spite of all this, you are certainly allowed a fair amount of non-game-breaking optimization. By all means, start with the Archetype template, add Cannot Wear Armor, -40%, to the DR, take Nonprotective Clothing so you're not naked, and spend the remaining 199 points however you like.

Valid sources for your powers are Psionic/Super (I'm treating them as the same thing), Chi, Divine, Magical, and Cosmic. "Wild" abilities are acceptable if and only if your character concept entails that it really truly makes no sense for the ability to be "turned off" by countermeasures. For example, an alien with eyes on the sides of his head and super-strength could take 360 Vision as a wild advantage, but should have the Super power modifier on the super-strength.

Okay... I *think* that's everything.

ETA: Wait, no, that wasn't everything. -100 point disadvantage limit, that's important.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 12-24-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: [OOC] Assault on Bunker 23

I want to play a robot built in secret by Nikola Tesla and now drafted into the war effort. It would able to create and control electricity, as well shoot lightning blasts.

That wouldn't require the robot to have any kind of special technological stuff, would it?

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Michael Thayne

Well, what you've described is by definition special technological stuff, but if you mean High TL, then not if it's all bought as advantages.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
fifiste

I'm interested but im not sure iff ill pull it off. Havent designed anything with such huge cp score.
If possible I would like to play a support character. Somekind of spectre/phantom/ghost who wouldn't be able to interact with world much. But could give advantages/encahnce advantages nudge luck of others (o maybe also dampen, curse etc.), and could provide intelligence and information.
A kind of creature like all kind of guardijan angels ancestral spirits etc. various cultures have, or you know Obi-vans force-ghost etc.

Someone to look over our brave heroes and provide them with much needed luck.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
ErhnamDJ

Wow. Never had this happen before. I wrote down all the stuff I wanted... and I still had points left to spend.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
fifiste

Just an aferthought - if there are any spiritists/channellers/mages etc. in the group. Then (as far as story goes) I could be a spirit summoned specifically for this assault by this guy.
I could in a meaning be kind of a familiar spirit etc.
I'd take a mindlink to the guy or whole group and a higher purpose (help our righteous heroes with the mission I was just summoned), maybe somekind of combination of positive/negative Destiny - helps in thwarting the evildoers/will return to nothingness in doing so etc.
You know I'd be like one of those spirits with unfinished business or dept etc. like the ghosts Aragorn brought with them Umbar ships etc.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
I'm interested but im not sure iff ill pull it off. Havent designed anything with such huge cp score.
If possible I would like to play a support character. Somekind of spectre/phantom/ghost who wouldn't be able to interact with world much. But could give advantages/encahnce advantages nudge luck of others (o maybe also dampen, curse etc.), and could provide intelligence and information.
A kind of creature like all kind of guardijan angels ancestral spirits etc. various cultures have, or you know Obi-vans force-ghost etc.

Someone to look over our brave heroes and provide them with much needed luck.
That's a way-under-2,000-point concept.

If you aren't too committed to your particular concept, get GURPS: Supers, take a look at the Archetype template, and use that as the basis for your build (while feeling free to add a few limitations to traits, like Cannot Wear Armor, or just plain throwing things out).
Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Totem

Okay, this sounds interesting. A couple of questions:

Firstly, is there anything that you would add to this that we ought to know about? (I really like this particular post)

Are there any limits on backstory/ origins? For instance, who are we working for (i.e. which intelligence agency found this information, who will be providing transport, etc). Is there an issue with nationality or similar?

How much do we need to bother with life skills/ backstory skills? I came up with a regular profession and backstory skills for a character in one game and then the way the story ran had me more or less abandon that. It may only be a handful to points in some cases, but it might mean major decisions in others.

Style of gameplay: gritty or four-colour? High combat or stealth/ skill? Just thinking.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
samd6

I have a couple concepts that might work, though I'm not sure it's in line with what you're going for here.

My first desire is to grab a random power from Don't Rest Your Head, remove the sanity-destroying aspects, and use that as a core.

My second idea is to grab one of the Nightbane that I amde a long time ago, and convert it to gurps, then throw on a bunch of advantages.

My last idea just involves dropping a ton of points on ATR and Warp.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
fifiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
That's a way-under-2,000-point concept.
But what if I try to pump it up with all kinds of unkillable/undetectable/inaffectable stuff I get my hands on to get its life expectancy up. And then add some psi or magical abilities to do damage also(or mess with or mind control). That sure could take up some points.
Can the character use two different power sources. Like divine etc. for being a spirit (insubstantiability/unkillable etc.) and then magic or psi .... well for being a ghost of a mage or a psionic (spells/psi advantages and talents).

Or should I really try to keep one - lets say psionic all the way - guy was such a psionic he willed himself a psi-ghost etc.