Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
cadia134

Default [Reign of Steel] Tell me about Chicago

I am planning a Reign of Steel campaign and am considering Chicago as the PCs home.

There is little to no information in the books. I have a few ideas, but am looking for some brainstorming or even more developed ideas I can bounce off of to develop a richer background for my game.

Please, tell me what you think Chicago looks like under the rule of Zone Washington.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Reign of Steel] Tell me about Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia134 View Post
Please, tell me what you think Chicago looks like under the rule of Zone Washington.
Well, the general method for Zone Washington goes something like this. Take a map of the city, and delete a few notable landmarks and some districts as wrecked in the Last War. With a population about a twentieth of the present day, decide which other districts are abandoned, and which just have a lot less population than today. Site big police stations in those, and a really big one in whichever district is now the city centre.

Re-read the stuff about social conditions on p21-27 of Reign of Steel and decide how they apply in your version: what's the style of the city government like? Remember that almost everyone believes that they are living in the last free human society on Earth, and that there's a strong risk of attacks from robot infiltrators, their human dupes, and crazy terrorists who want to overthrow the government that keeps them safe. Multiply Cold War paranoia by GWOT paranoia. Spice with any Paranoia RPG stuff you fancy - it's a usable model for Zone Washington.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
arcanus

You could follow a Shadowrun type scenario where the centre of Chicago was decimated during the war (Nano plague, tactical nuke), now a no mans land full of savage gangs and genetic monstrosities.

Or a shining example of Overmind reconstruction, gleaming towers ala cyberpunk or Bladerunner, built as an example of how AI and humanity can operate in conjunction.

I tend to wonder whether Washington is like the AI from Neil Ashers Polity books, Gridlinked humans connected into the AI etc.
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
RogerBW

I wrote up a certain amount of daily life in the Washington Protectorate for my own RoS campaign; start around "Is The Computer Your Friend" for the relevant material. I wasn't working with Chicago specifically, but the principles should be the same.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
cadia134

Thanks For the insight. I have re-re-read the section and along with the great example from the play reports linked above have a much better grip on what I want to do.
As a couple of follow up questions:

What would would the AIs and humans destroyed in the Chicago area during the final war? What would be militarily important targets?

and

What would Zone Washington deem worth rebuilding?

Again I have a few ideas, but would love to hear others input.

Thanks

Tags
reign of steel, ros