Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #351
Alprex

Default Re: Member House Rules

Two house rules for our group:

1) No level 1 monsters.

2) You are allowed one full round until your next turn to attempt to steal an item from someone or wear something illegally. If you are caught before the turn gets back to you, you give it back and get penalized. Otherwise, it's yours to keep, no exceptions.
Alprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #352
cree128

No go up a level cards-I hate them cuz I never get any
Very few low level cards
Very few Gender specific cards
Oh, You have only 1.65656 seconds to play enhancers to combat
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #353
SmokeRulz

This is a fun thing I thought up before I bought Munchkin Cthulhu, and I'd like to try doing it once I can get a Cthulhu game together.

Whim of the Elder Gods & Cthulhu die go in the middle of the table by the decks & discards. Every player gets one glass bead (or if I was feeling adventurous, two) to keep with their items. During a player's own turn, after they win a combat alone, they can "spend" their glass bead to activate the Whim of the Elder Gods card. Place the bead with the card itself and roll the Cthulhu Die, then see what fate brings you.

I really like the Whim card, but instead of just using it myself since I own it, I figure this would be a fun way to insert it into a Cthulhu game and give everyone a shot at using it, if they dare. Of course I could use the card in ANY Munchkin game I run, but I'd probably just do it for Cthulhu for thematic reasons.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #354
LordArach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRulz View Post
Whim of the Elder Gods & Cthulhu die go in the middle of the table by the decks & discards. Every player gets one glass bead (or if I was feeling adventurous, two) to keep with their items. During a player's own turn, after they win a combat alone, they can "spend" their glass bead to activate the Whim of the Elder Gods card. Place the bead with the card itself and roll the Cthulhu Die, then see what fate brings you.
That's a great idea. I just keep giving out that card since I have so many of them and get people to buy there own die. I'll have to try that out though.

Praise "Bob"!
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #355
whitecloud197

Heres a rule im working up right now:

Im looking at aquiring a bunch of Promo Items / Accessories:

Bookmarks, coins, etc etc etc

Im looking at getting a D20 and before the game starts everyone rolls a D20 and there results determine which awesome munchkin item they can use in game (each item being attached to a specific number on teh D20)

that way it stays Fiar, and Random and everyone gets an item to use in game.

Is there an official Munchkin D20 released? that would be ideal rather then buying a plain ol D20 from a random store.
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #356
Martimis

Default Munchkin Duel

I wanted to make munchkin as much fun to play with two players as with several, so I came up with Munchkin Duel. Its a unique set of game rules that make the normal game work effectively and fun for two players.

Munchkin Duel!

Starting The Game
To Begin a Munchkin Duel, each Player searches the deck for a hireling that is legal for them to use. The first they come across becomes their hireling and it cannot be discarded unless killed by a Go-Up-a-Level or From a combat. However a player can play off of their hireling as if it were a second player and can equip all wearable items and weapons that are legal for that hireling.

A player and his hireling share a backpack with a maximum of five cards. Before the game begins, the players must decide whether or not it is an epic match. Regardless of the decision, a munchkin duel plays to level 20. The only difference is the in/exclusion of epic powers past level 10.

Taking Turns
Each player will take one turn for themselves and a second For their hireling per round. However, only the player's character can level up. A hirelings bonus is treated as its character base level for all purposes.

When the players begin they draw 4 cards from each deck. In a munchkin duel, a player has a hand of 8 cards, and can play on either themselves or their hireling on either turn.

Hireling Race/class
Despite the hireling being a second player, a hireling can only be the race or class stated on its card, and cannot change race or class at any point. Curse cards that affect race or class do not affect hirelings.

Kicking down a Door
To kick down a door, a player draws two door cards and they take effect as if it were an epic match. When a hireling wins a combat, the player merely receives the treasure and no levels. When a player or hireling is in combat and needs help, it must choose from either its partner or the opponent, but cannot receive help from both.

Dead Hireling
If a hireling is killed, its body is looted by the opposing player as would occur in a normal game. Afterward the player has the option at any point to sell 1,000 gold pieces worth of items to either resurrect their dead hireling or hire a new hireling by searching the discard/deck (in that order) for a replacement.

Multiple Hirelings
A player cannot own more than one hireling unless they have a card allowing them to do so, and can play off their second hireling same as the first, Therefore the player would now take three turns instead of two per round.

Its an experimental idea that I've been working on, let me know what you all think.
Martimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #357
Gospel X

Hi, I'm new here and also relatively new to Munchkin. The group I play with immediately found troubles with the original fantasy Munchkin set. Namely, no one wants to be an Elf because then they can't help with fights and barter for treasure. No one in the group wants an Elf's help, period. So the options were to either just dump the Elf race or change the definition of "help" to make them useful.

From now on, we considering helping anytime you toss something into combat without causing harm to the munchkin involved. In short, it general costs a card - either a one-shot item or a card for warrior beserking. (We haven't encountered the latter yet.) Elf gets a level, maybe a Fairy Dust card if we're using that. It's made the Elf class incredibly useful.

I believe it also effects High. I think that's the one where you get an extra level at the cost of all the treasures in battle. If someone helps, they don't get that benefit. We had someone NOT get the winning level because someone tossed in at the last minute. Creates a really fun and frantic gaming environment when "help" means just a little bit more.
Gospel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #358
The Big Boo

Default Gambling

Long time reader, first time poster!

Me and some firends came up with some gambling rules for munchkin that I thought I would share.

Everyone brings 10, £1 coins (or whatever currency you use).
These are put into a big bowl in the middle and used as level counters (taking out and putting into the bowl as you go up and down in levels)
At the end of the game whatever level you are you keep and the winner takes whatever is left in the bowl.

Me and my friends usually find we are about level 7 if we lose so don't end up losing too much money and with 5 players the winner wins about £12 + his original £10

Let me know what you guys think and if their is any way we can improve upon this!
The Big Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #359
whitecloud197

Default Re: Gambling

Its a rather interesting Concept but im not sure exactly what you mean.

So everyone starts out with 10 bucks in front of them ?

and then you ..... pay 1 dollar when you go up a level into the bowl ?
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #360
cree128

Default Re: Gambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud197 View Post
Its a rather interesting Concept but im not sure exactly what you mean.

So everyone starts out with 10 bucks in front of them ?

and then you ..... pay 1 dollar when you go up a level into the bowl ?
No when you gain a level take from the bowl, when you lose give to the bowl (unless your Level 1)

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice