Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 11-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
MIB 1473

Default Descent Opinions?

This looked very cool when I saw it on the shelf, but before I put down $80 I want to do some research. The Illuminator mentioned that the SJ staffers played it on Tuesday, which is something of an endorsement, but what have others' experiences been with it?

Thanks.
MIB 1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
MIB2826

Default Re: Descent Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 1473
This looked very cool when I saw it on the shelf, but before I put down $80 I want to do some research. The Illuminator mentioned that the SJ staffers played it on Tuesday, which is something of an endorsement, but what have others' experiences been with it?

Thanks.
There were in Doom the players are nearly chanceless, in Descend the GM is nearly chanceless. Which is of course a better deal, unless you're the GM.

Also, very possibly I'm a lousy GM.

My copy actually is still back at the FLGS which uses it to display the game.
I didn't leave it there because I disliked it, but merely because the FLGS is the obvious place to play, so why carry it back and forth :)
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
xlyce

I played it once, and I have played a lot of Advanced HeroQuest (which I loved). I found the two games very similar with a little more luck in AHQ. If you like miniature based fantasy games, you should like it. If you don't like that style of game, you won't like Descent.

Personally, I won't buy it because I own AHQ, and all the old GW stuff.

Xlyce, rolling 12s daily....
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
O'Keefe

That was my copy they were playing on Halloween. Since then the guys have all pooled there money and bought their own, and the expansion. We're playing again this weekend.

I never got a chance to play SpaceHulk, HeroQuest, or most of those other famous games that people have fond childhood memories of. I always wanted to though.

I bought Doom and played it some, but yes, the good guys have almost no chance to win. They fixed a lot of the problems with the system when they made Descent.

If you like hack'n'slash style boardgames, and don't have access to any of the older stuff, I'd say Descent is worth picking up.
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
MIB 1473

Thanks, Will. I hadn't made the connection to SpaceHulk, but I adored that game as a kid.

My friends are all excited about Shadows Over Camelot, and while I enjoy it my preference is for something with more crunch, which Descent seems to have. Suggestions for other games to consider would be welcome, though.
MIB 1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
xlyce

I was out gaming with some friends from the UK that were huge AHQ fiends and they purchased Descent and love it as well.

If you like this style of game and don't have the others, you will enjoy it.
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote