Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Horror Help please (Lovecraft vs. Hellboy)

Hello,

I need help for those that know the Hellboy universe and the Lovecraft one. I have a great love for them both and have introduced both of them in tiny parts in my horror game. Now i have a problem...how can these two coexsist? In the Hellboy universe (which is in honor of Lovecraft btw) the Ogdru Jahad was created in the beginning of time by God and his servents on earth. It went very bad after that. Its servents and "children" that it spawned are the Ogdru Hem... 369 monsters (in physical and spirit form).

In Lovecraft the Mythos comes from the stars to earth billions of years ago and is made up of dozens of verious monsters (Old Ones, Great Old Ones, Elder Gods, Deep Ones, ect...)

So one is earth based and the other is very much from the stars and/or diffrent dimensions.

I love them both very much and have introduced the Deep Ones and the info that there is such things as these creatures (on both sides). Now i need a way where they fit together, somewhat at least. I thought about one large Mythos, or two warring factions (the mythos got to earth billions of years ago and found and fought the Ogdru Jahad that was already here). Not sure which way to go. So any help from those that know of both would be great help and many thanks.

PS. I just introduced Green Delta also in my game for a few brief shocking seconds to the players... they loved it.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
vitruvian

Default Re: Horror Help please (Lovecraft vs. Hellboy)

You can meld them however you want. The story about the Ogdru Jahad being created by the God of Judeo-Christian mythology can be true, or can be a fairy tale told by people who don't really understand their origins in past eons. Just because Rasputin or whoever tells a particular origin story doesn't mean it's true, after all.

You could even reconcile them entirely. In Hebrew mysticism, it is sometimes said that God made several false starts before creating our universe. The remnants of these flawed worlds are the Qlippoth, or shells. Check GURPS Cabal for a discussion of just how Lovecraftian these could be and how nasty it is when they penetrate our reality.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
Jürgen Hubert

I just skimmed the relevant Wikipedia entries (I'm not very well versed in the Hellboy comic), and from what I've read, it might not be hard at all to change things.

Just ask yourself: Who is the God who created all these beings?

Or rather, which Outer God is he?

Just assume that the whole body of Judeo-Christian myth and legends is based upon faulty interpretations of the Mythos. For example, I have seen the interpretation that the entity that Moses encountered on top of Mount Sinai was an avatar of Yog-Sothoth. Other elements might be distortions, exaggerations, and outright lies fabricated by contemporaries or later chronists - and some may have more significance than they appear at first.

The whole existence of a "Creator God" in the Hellboy Mythos might give some of the characters the impression that they live in a universe with an essentially caring supreme being. Gradually shatter that impression, and you achieve Lovecraftian horror.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #4
Hamsterminator

Well at least in the movie, there were a citation of the Vermis Mystries from the mythos and at the end something greatly resembling Azatoth, demon demon sultan.

Arent there possibillitys to getting ones soul saved by some of elder gods?

The Art of making nice words for ugly cirrcumstances.

an unfortunally a Vucking lot of Typossuff an so....
Hamsterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #5
DocRailgun

It could very well be Nodens, who is sometimes shown helping humans for his own mysterious reasons. Also, some of the Mythos' 'gods' are sometimes not intending to drive Investigators mad... such as Bast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
Just ask yourself: Who is the God who created all these beings?

Or rather, which Outer God is he?

Just assume that the whole body of Judeo-Christian myth and legends is based upon faulty interpretations of the Mythos. For example, I have seen the interpretation that the entity that Moses encountered on top of Mount Sinai was an avatar of Yog-Sothoth. Other elements might be distortions, exaggerations, and outright lies fabricated by contemporaries or later chronists - and some may have more significance than they appear at first.
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Lameth

thanks so much guys.. please more info and opinions if you have them.....
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun
It could very well be Nodens, who is sometimes shown helping humans for his own mysterious reasons. Also, some of the Mythos' 'gods' are sometimes not intending to drive Investigators mad... such as Bast.
I'd prefer one of the uncaring Outer Gods. I mean, the whole point of the Cthulhu Mythos is that the universe is uncaring about the plight of humanity, and while entities such as Nodens and Bast might sometimes deign to help individuals, they shouldn't start large-scale programs with the goal to help humanity as a whole. It's best if humanity's survival into the present is nothing more than a happy accident - an accident that could be over at any moment.

Oh, and if you want a brilliant view of Eastern Asian religions in the Mythos universe, check out "Secrets of Japan". The Buddhist's goal of reaching "Nirvana" becomes a whole different perspective after reading this - to escape the cycle of human suffering, one must abandon all human perspective on the universe - effectively having 0 SAN.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Lameth

Thanks Jürgen Hubert.... you insight and advice has helped alot.. i am open to any sugestions you might have... my big problem was trying to find away where the Hellboy and Mythos stuff come together and how they interact (or dont)... thats what i am dealing with.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth
Thanks Jürgen Hubert.... you insight and advice has helped alot.. i am open to any sugestions you might have... my big problem was trying to find away where the Hellboy and Mythos stuff come together and how they interact (or dont)... thats what i am dealing with.
Unfortunately, while my knowledge of the Cthulhu Mythos is large, my knowledge of Hellboy is rather limited.

If you could give some more examples of what you think are problem areas, I might be able to help you further...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Lameth

You can go to here to get a overview of the Hellboy Mythos stuff. thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogdru_Jahad

Tags
hellboy