Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 05-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
GameBuddah

Default Is a Pyramid subscription worth the moola?

I haven't read Pyramid since it was a print magazine. (And a fine one it was indeed). However, as times have changed, I have less time to spend gaming, and even less time to prepare for games.

As mainly a GURPS game master, though a player of Exalted and L5R RPG 3rd Edition, I'm wondering if it is worth the investment in the subscription.

What kinds of things can I expect? How much usefull GURPS content is there? Do people ever print out the articles to read them?
GameBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Is a Pyramid subscription worth the moola?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBuddah
What kinds of things can I expect? How much usefull GURPS content is there?
Most articles in Pyramid are about RPGs, and most RPG articles which are about a specific system are about GURPS, so there's certainly a lot of directly GURPS-related content, and there are frequently generic articles about real-world topics (religion, technology, real-world people and organizations, etc.) which can have application to any game system. Exactly how useful that content is depends on your own needs. What kinds of things would you be interested in?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
Fade

I find the subscription worth the money: most weeks have at least one article I especially like (whether because it was fun to read or because it was immediately useful), some weeks have several good articles, and it's an opportunity to see how other people approach RPGs. It's likely to be more useful to someone who's GMing than someone who only plays, given the nature of many articles, but that's to be expected.

I also find access to the PyraMOO a major benefit of subscription: I play in various online games there, enjoy the company (and ready panel of experts on a variety of subjects) of the people who hang out there, and have occasionally run one of my own games in the 'upstairs' gaming rooms. If you're looking for games run online, it's a nice little resource.
Fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBuddah
What kinds of things can I expect? How much usefull GURPS content is there? Do people ever print out the articles to read them?
It's required in order to join playtests.

It has some pretty good articles on gaming, and access to the full archives, which unlike the old Roleplayer magazines, aren't available for free online.

I'll occasionally print out and read some of the articles, I don't know if other people print them out.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
ecienavxela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade
I also find access to the PyraMOO a major benefit of subscription: I play in various online games there, enjoy the company (and ready panel of experts on a variety of subjects) of the people who hang out there, and have occasionally run one of my own games in the 'upstairs' gaming rooms. If you're looking for games run online, it's a nice little resource.
"PyraMOO"?? Is this like OpenRPG from SJG?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecienavxela
"PyraMOO"?? Is this like OpenRPG from SJG?
It's a chat server, with multiple "rooms", so you can run a game sort of live.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
ecienavxela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
It's a chat server, with multiple "rooms", so you can run a game sort of live.
Does it have dice rollers and stuff like OpenRPG?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecienavxela
Does it have dice rollers and stuff like OpenRPG?
I don't know, I don't really use it for gaming, I just tend to chat on it, but as far as I know it has rollers and some other things, Fade would know better.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

To the original question, Absolutely. I am a GURPS GM, and I used to purchase the print version, and I find that as long as you have a printer available, I find that you actually get more material (weekly about 4 RPG-specific articles plus comics and additional reviews and features works out to more material than the old, monthly print material.)

Add to that the fact that Pyramid subscriptions have archive access, and allow you to be a playtester (and I've been involved in two playtests already)
I think that the online subscription is absolutely worth the cash.

I can think of no better way to start my Friday mornings at work but to login and check in with what is new in Pyramid.

If you're a GURPS player or GM, I strongly recommend it. There is enough material that I find it useful for other RPG's as well.

Cheers,

-Paraj Mandrekar
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Digganob

I make extensive use of the archives, for character concepts and adventure modules/seeds/inspiration. I'd be willing to pay the $20 a year for just that. And there's so much more in there.
Digganob is offline   Reply With Quote